Off Topic Discussion

John E

This forum is not for all Off Topic Discussions.

If a moderator doesn't like the topic, it will be moved.

How many moderators does this forum have? Does every moderator need to read every post?

Or was my topic being effective with the side against the moderator?

Questions, questions, questions.

Off topic discussion, off topic discussion, off topic discussion.

~John

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John,

I didn't move your topic. Maybe one of the other moderators thought it belonged somewhere else.

We do look at every thread. This site is not a free for all. This site is successful because of moderation, not a lack thereof.

Did the Tea Party discussion annoy me? Yes. But again, I didn't move the topic.

Joe

This forum is not for all Off Topic Discussions.

If a moderator doesn't like the topic, it will be moved.

How many moderators does this forum have? Does every moderator need to read every post?

Or was my topic being effective with the side against the moderator?

Questions, questions, questions.

Off topic discussion, off topic discussion, off topic discussion.

~John

John,

I didn't move your topic. Maybe one of the other moderators thought it belonged somewhere else.

We do look at every thread. This site is not a free for all. This site is successful because of moderation, not a lack thereof.

Did the Tea Party discussion annoy me? Yes. But again, I didn't move the topic.

Joe

Honestly, I have no idea. My only thought is that there may have been multiple tea party threads in each city moved into one.

As far as heavy handed, I've been a moderator here for 6 years, and I think I could count on one hand (with fingers to spare) how many times I've shut down a topic.

With that being said, nobody is holding a gun to your head. If you don't like the way the site is moderated, don't participate. But I can tell you that most discussion forums turn into wild wild west flame wars, and we don't let it get to that point. 'Teh Interwebs' is a big place, you have to find what is right for you.

Joe

Any ideas on who did and how the decision was reached?

I moved the topic. It was pretty much a political discussion and had nothing to do with Grand Rapids. Why should the forumers looking for Grand Rapids discussions have to constantly see a thread rejuvenated that is basically a political chat between 3 people? And wouldn't you rather have some differing opinions on the subject from other non-GR members of the forum, in the main Coffee House?

If you feel a topic being "moved" is a punishing move, then you need to lighten up a bit.

thank heavens. i was about two more "they're fascists / no they're not / yes they are / no they're not / well you stink" posts from deleting urban planet from my rss reader altogether.

I moved the topic. It was pretty much a political discussion and had nothing to do with Grand Rapids. Why should the forumers looking for Grand Rapids discussions have to constantly see a thread rejuvenated that is basically a political chat between 3 people? And wouldn't you rather have some differing opinions on the subject from other non-GR members of the forum, in the main Coffee House?

If you feel a topic being "moved" is a punishing move, then you need to lighten up a bit.

It's not a politically-charged thread in and of itself that falls outside the "mission" of the GR Coffee House forum; it's a thread that continues for six pages with the same 3 posters (4 on a good day) going back and forth with repetitive arguments. That falls outside the mission of any UP forum, Coffee House or not.

John - and I make this recommendation in good faith as a friend - it's clear from recent history that when you post a thread on politics in the GR forum, only 2-3 others care to respond. Why not just post all future political threads to the Urban Journal Coffee House, and then throw a quick post in the Watering Hole with a link saying "Hey, check out my new thread..."? That way you invite more points of view from people outside of GR, as well as let the posters in GR know about it, without antagonizing those who don't want to read it. Or, if you ever want to set up a meeting to discuss politics further over a beer with fellow UP posters, feel free to throw up an invite in a Coffee House thread.

Best,

Thomas

Joe and I will decide if this closes the subject. And Joe and I will decide if this topic should be deleted, or moved, or locked, or spray painted purple. And we will also decide how moderating should be handled, privately or otherwise.

I should probably leave well enough alone but I just visited the "Tea" topic in its new home at Urban Journal. It pains me to admit it but that probably is the better location and to be perfectly honest, I never knew it existed. There is a virtual treasure trove of topics over there so all things considered, I'm happy with the way things were resolved. Thank You, Daddy and Thank You, Joe. (And I mean that sincerely - the amount of work that goes into running this site must be staggering. You guys are like teachers with hundreds of unruly students - you have to read all of our homework and this is the scary part - it never stops coming in.) Again, many thanks for your efforts. I do have to get one last dig in though. While visiting the Teas new home, I noticed something that I never paid any attention to before. In the 6 weeks that that discussion took place, it was viewed 11,425 times. For all the people who cheered its untimely demise, it seems to me that there was quite a bit of interest in the topic; for the most part, non participatory but interest never the less. Of course, much of that interest could have been of the car wreck on the freeway variety - sometimes, you just gotta look.

I should probably leave well enough alone but I just visited the "Tea" topic in its new home at Urban Journal. It pains me to admit it but that probably is the better location and to be perfectly honest, I never knew it existed. There is a virtual treasure trove of topics over there so all things considered, I'm happy with the way things were resolved. Thank You, Daddy and Thank You, Joe. (And I mean that sincerely - the amount of work that goes into running this site must be staggering. You guys are like teachers with hundreds of unruly students - you have to read all of our homework and this is the scary part - it never stops coming in.) Again, many thanks for your efforts. I do have to get one last dig in though. While visiting the Teas new home, I noticed something that I never paid any attention to before. In the 6 weeks that that discussion took place, it was viewed 11,425 times. For all the people who cheered its untimely demise, it seems to me that there was quite a bit of interest in the topic; for the most part, non participatory but interest never the less. Of course, much of that interest could have been of the car wreck on the freeway variety - sometimes, you just gotta look.

Archived