Interesting look at google Earth

MadVlad

So, out of curiosity, I was browsing Google Earth to see where the old proposed beltway around Hartford was supposed to be, and to my enjoyment, the land is still there and largely unused. There are a few parts that are broken, but most is still parkland, open space, and who-knows what. Bring up the satellite view in google maps and take a look. Where I-291 enters Windsor/Bloomfield, there is still a bunch of space that runs parallel to Cottage Grove Road, and you can kind of see how it would wind down through the Reservoir area and connect to the Rt 9/I-84 Interchange just west of West Farms mall. then, you can see where the loop exit would be in Newington, and how all that space winds through into Wethersfield, meeting up with the phantom on-ramp to I-91. Where Rt 3 ends in Glastonbury, you can see how the land beyond swerves through East Hartford and into Manchester to connect to where I-384 and I-84 connect. It's pretty cool, maybe we can get a beltway soemday...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have looked at that a few times myself. I am not totally sure it would be a good thing in the end, but for sure parts of it would have been great!

it does make you wonder if the DOT, State, cities, or the feds own the land these days.

you can see that the DOT HQ is built in one of the routs, so I assume DOT owns a lot of it

Archived