Bentonville, Arkansas

Mith242

I couldn't find a Bentonville topic which I found odd. I think just about every other city in NWA has it's own topic here. I guess past Bentonville projects and news was put under specific topics or a general Benton County topic. I figured it I might as well make one for future reference.

I've been hearing some reference to Bentonville working on a more direct route from I-540 to the Walmart HQ. But I keep missing all the details. Does anyone know are we talking about a new road or is it just widening and improving existing roads?

I couldn't find a Bentonville topic which I found odd. I think just about every other city in NWA has it's own topic here. I guess past Bentonville projects and news was put under specific topics or a general Benton County topic. I figured it I might as well make one for future reference.

I've been hearing some reference to Bentonville working on a more direct route from I-540 to the Walmart HQ. But I keep missing all the details. Does anyone know are we talking about a new road or is it just widening and improving existing roads?

From what I understand it will be a little bit of both. They will widen 8th St. from Walton Blvd. to Moberly Dr. to five lanes. It's currently only 2 lanes. But 8th St. terminates at Moberly drive. From Moberly to I-540 they will build a new 5-lane road & overpass to connect to I-540.

What gets me about the project is the cost.... The Fed. Gov't has allocated $35M in an earmark, with the city of Bentonville the AHTD also kicking in some money. The Bentonville city council apparently just allocated $5 Million for engineering costs and utility relocation.

Just seems excessive for less than 3 miles of road.

From what I understand it will be a little bit of both. They will widen 8th St. from Walton Blvd. to Moberly Dr. to five lanes. It's currently only 2 lanes. But 8th St. terminates at Moberly drive. From Moberly to I-540 they will build a new 5-lane road & overpass to connect to I-540.

What gets me about the project is the cost.... The Fed. Gov't has allocated $35M in an earmark, with the city of Bentonville the AHTD also kicking in some money. The Bentonville city council apparently just allocated $5 Million for engineering costs and utility relocation.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Not officially. I think it's a takeoff on the Supercenter name and a swipe at Wal Mart's overwhelming influence in the city.

Development related news for Bentonville:

Christian Bros Auto just purchased a lot on S. Walton and will be building a new facility. It is adjacent to Signature Bank.

Crye Leike has a building under construction next to McAlister's Deli. It will be Crye Leike, Realty Title, and I have heard that Lenny's Sub Shop is taking an end cap.

There is actually some decent activity in the Bentonville market compared to other areas.

Bentonville School District patrons passed a millage increase to build a new elementary and junior high school. The 3.6 mill increase should raise over $70 million. This comes after a larger millage increase was defeated a few years ago and similar measures failed in other area districts. It would be interesting to see an analysis of why it passed- the smaller size of increase and timing at a brighter economic outlook nationwide may have had something to do with it.

The five lane project is to help divert the 3000 employees who travel into the Home Office, many of which are coming from the north and south, from the narrow city streets and onto a five lane highway leading directly in, in an attempt to alleviate the one or two mile traffic back-ups.

Additionally, it's interesting that the administrators have such a nasty attitude towards real estate agents, considering the amount of informaiton they (we) usually possess about the area. My own website has a huge amount of area information, history and old photographs yet it also has real estate stuff on it to, so I haven't referenced it here...there is another reason that the interchange and five lane into the Home Office will be a significant one, in my humble opinion, but I won't mention it here as it involves the real estate business...

If memory serves me correctly, 8th St wasn't even slated to be a 5-lane arterial prior to acquisition of the federal funds. The 35 million that Boozman got was quite a surprise to the city, meaning I don't think they had a hand in requesting it.

Edited by hogwash

Welcome to the forum bentonville123. :D I agree with aerotive. Isn't there a way for you to mention significant development without going into too much detail? Is this new route going to be prime real estate for future commercial development maybe?

Additionally, it's interesting that the administrators have such a nasty attitude towards real estate agents, considering the amount of informaiton they (we) usually possess about the area. My own website has a huge amount of area information, history and old photographs yet it also has real estate stuff on it to, so I haven't referenced it here...there is another reason that the interchange and five lane into the Home Office will be a significant one, in my humble opinion, but I won't mention it here as it involves the real estate business...

Maybe instead of posting a link you can just post the name of your site- I always like viewing history and old photographs of the area. As long as you don't overtly advertize I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

I don't think anyone is against the 8th Street project it is just curious how it has came to be funded. Anytime a $500 billion company located in a town of 30,000 appears to get special treatment it is going to be noticed and questioned.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Mith, long time no visit. Very interesting new look on the UP site.

I know that the gang here has heard about the new art hotel going in northwest of the Bentonville square (they've even got their "coming soon" sign up in front of the Arvest drive-through). Given that Walton money is in on this it's a done deal unless the Lord returns before construction.

What seems to be quieter news is that, apparently, Bentonville's city offices, now located just west/southwest of the square on Central avenue, will also be moving. An assistant principal at Bentonville High told me that the city is building all new offices on Airport road just west of the new White Oak Station, the one a 1/2 - 1 mile southwest of Rainbow Curve. There's a lot of heavy machinery parked on the southwest corner of the Cave Springs road intersection. (That's not the road name - it just goes from B'ville to Cave Springs, Elm Springs, Tontitown and Fayetteville.) This new city complex will be about 1 mile north of the Central Park at Morning Star school.

I was talking with the principal about when a second Bentonville high school would be built (he said not before 2015-16 - the newest millage authorized a junior high and before a second high school there'd have to be another vote). He said that the new high school would be in that Central Park area, and that Bentonville officials are expecting the center of Bentonville to be right where the new city complex is. (THAT'S a lot of predicted growth given that we're not in 2002-2004 any more, a discussion for another thread.)

What this also tells me is that the current city offices southwest of the square are going to be vacant in the future. I think they renovated the facade of the buildings there in the past couple of years. It will be interesting to see if, as the old song said, they stay or should they go...especially given your discussion in the Crystal Bridges thread about a possible entertainment district in B'ville. The current city offices are, frankly, pretty outdated looking.

Edited by KJW

Hey, Mith, long time no visit. Very interesting new look on the UP site.

I know that the gang here has heard about the new art hotel going in northwest of the Bentonville square (they've even got their "coming soon" sign up in front of the Arvest drive-through). Given that Walton money is in on this it's a done deal unless the Lord returns before construction.

What seems to be quieter news is that, apparently, Bentonville's city offices, now located just west/southwest of the square on Central avenue, will also be moving. An assistant principal at Bentonville High told me that the city is building all new offices on Airport road just west of the new White Oak Station, the one a 1/2 - 1 mile southwest of Rainbow Curve. There's a lot of heavy machinery parked on the southwest corner of the Cave Springs road intersection. (That's not the road name - it just goes from B'ville to Cave Springs, Elm Springs, Tontitown and Fayetteville.) This new city complex will be about 1 mile north of the Central Park at Morning Star school.

I was talking with the principal about when a second Bentonville high school would be built (he said not before 2015-16 - the newest millage authorized a junior high and before a second high school there'd have to be another vote). He said that the new high school would be in that Central Park area, and that Bentonville officials are expecting the center of Bentonville to be right where the new city complex is. (THAT'S a lot of predicted growth given that we're not in 2002-2004 any more, a discussion for another thread.)

What this also tells me is that the current city offices southwest of the square are going to be vacant in the future. I think they renovated the facade of the buildings there in the past couple of years. It will be interesting to see if, as the old song said, they stay or should they go...especially given your discussion in the Crystal Bridges thread about a possible entertainment district in B'ville. The current city offices are, frankly, pretty outdated looking.

Hey, nice to hear from you again. Yeah the hotel news showed up in the Crystal Bridges topic. Hadn't heard about any of the other news you mentioned. Good to hear some details from someone up in that area.

Maybe I missed it in the online article. But been hearing some very good things out of the original 21c Hotel in Louisville. I think Conde Nast ranked it the top hotel in the US and one of the top in the world. Certainly would be interesting to have a hotel of that caliber here in NWA. I thought I'd share a link to the hotel's website in case any are interested.

http://www.21cmuseumhotel.com/overview/default.aspx

Maybe I missed it in the online article. But been hearing some very good things out of the original 21c Hotel in Louisville. I think Conde Nast ranked it the top hotel in the US and one of the top in the world. Certainly would be interesting to have a hotel of that caliber here in NWA. I thought I'd share a link to the hotel's website in case any are interested.

Mith, indeed - that's amazing. And what's best is, this is indeed going to happen with Walton money behind it. Again, my question will be what happens within the town square. No way will they raze it (although it's interesting that there's a courthouse where prisoners are frequently marched in line for their hearings just a hop, skip and jump from this "21c"). This is going to be, IMO, one of the most fascinating stories here in NWA (and there are a lot of those this past decade) to watch unfold. Again, we're reminded that this museum is going to be an incredible attraction.

BTW, Mith, hope you make it up here for the Bentonville water park opening on this 4th of July. It's across from what apparently will be the gate to Crystal Bridges. They've got the main fountain working and a terraced (low) waterfall. The lights there are now functional so they're scrambling to get the landscaping done. Looks like it will be a pretty little place.

Mith, indeed - that's amazing. And what's best is, this is indeed going to happen with Walton money behind it. Again, my question will be what happens within the town square. No way will they raze it (although it's interesting that there's a courthouse where prisoners are frequently marched in line for their hearings just a hop, skip and jump from this "21c"). This is going to be, IMO, one of the most fascinating stories here in NWA (and there are a lot of those this past decade) to watch unfold. Again, we're reminded that this museum is going to be an incredible attraction.

BTW, Mith, hope you make it up here for the Bentonville water park opening on this 4th of July. It's across from what apparently will be the gate to Crystal Bridges. They've got the main fountain working and a terraced (low) waterfall. The lights there are now functional so they're scrambling to get the landscaping done. Looks like it will be a pretty little place.

I really do need to check out Bentonville sometime. It's been quite a while since I've been to the Square. Construction hadn't even started on Crystal Bridges yet. But it would be nice to actually get out and see the area and have a better idea where all of this development is going to be happening. As I mentioned in the other topic, I'm curious to see how an entertainment district develops in that area. I'm also curious if all of this also ends up helping push the wet vote over. I can't help but feel that Benton County is eventually going to be wet. Especially as you have more and more people from out of state moving in. Although with Walmart changing it's strategy, it doesn't sound like as many new vendors will be making their way to putting in offices in the area. But once all of this part of Bentonville is developed it's easy to see how it will become a big draw for Bentonville.

Took me a while before I saw this. Looks like aside from Bentonville the same people are looking at Austin and Cincinnati as future locations as well. Renderings for those two locations but nothing yet for Bentonville. I saw mention of 130 rooms that I had seen in the articles I'd read. But not sure if I'd seen the mention of it being a five story building.

Took me a while before I saw this. Looks like aside from Bentonville the same people are looking at Austin and Cincinnati as future locations as well. Renderings for those two locations but nothing yet for Bentonville. I saw mention of 130 rooms that I had seen in the articles I'd read. But not sure if I'd seen the mention of it being a five story building.

Yeah, I read a five story building, 130 rooms, 120,000 sq. ft with some meeting space and an art gallery. The gallery will have rotating exhibitions. They would have locally grown food served. Nightly rate of $190 which isn't too bad for the type of hotel it seems to be. Sounds great.

I also read that there is 50% room occupancy rate in NWA right now- no wonder I saw a room rate of $19.95 advertised today. That shouldn't affect this project though.

Edited by zman9810

Kinda surreal to see this: a Mercedes-Benz dealership is building their new showroom right in front of the new Sam's Club (old Superior Building) offices on Moberly avenue in east Bentonville. Looks like they're working on it as I type this - wasn't that in Fayetteville earlier, or is this A) a second location or B) a new firm?

I'm not bemoaning whatsoever anyone who buys luxury autos - in fact, I hope it helps our local economy significantly somehow.

Kinda surreal to see this: a Mercedes-Benz dealership is building their new showroom right in front of the new Sam's Club (old Superior Building) offices on Moberly avenue in east Bentonville. Looks like they're working on it as I type this - wasn't that in Fayetteville earlier, or is this A) a second location or B) a new firm?

I'm not bemoaning whatsoever anyone who buys luxury autos - in fact, I hope it helps our local economy significantly somehow.

I'm guessing it's a second location or a different group. I believe the one in Fayetteville is still open. It's located on College Ave on the north side of town.

It's a new location, the one in Fayetteville is still open and will remain open. One dealership we're missing is Lexus, which has somewhat baffled me since I moved here. Mercedes, BMW, but no Lexus.

It's a new location, the one in Fayetteville is still open and will remain open. One dealership we're missing is Lexus, which has somewhat baffled me since I moved here. Mercedes, BMW, but no Lexus.

True. For that matter for some reason we seem to be lacking in general when it comes to car dealerships with other metros our size. I don't know if it's because we've grown relatively quickly while other metros are more established. Or maybe it's because we're not as centralized as most metros with one dominate city.