Bentonville, Arkansas

Mith242

any new info on this? They have started back working on clearing this land and chopping down trees in front of the jr high

I haven't heard anything new. I am 100% sure that I read an article stating that the Arts Center would be going in that spot....but I also know that Comreguy responded and said it will likely be on the old fairgrounds property. Comreguy is rarely (ever?) wrong, so......

One more thing...here's the address where "Thrive" will be built (on a current vacant lot right across the street from where the Bentonville Islamic Center had their house, don't know where they are now), but what's interesting is that ERC (building their new HQ in Chaffee Crossing) is developing it.  Neat to see FSM investing in NWA, and vice versa with all the Walton family donations to the U.S. Marshals' Museum and the planned Riverwalk down there in "Smittyburg":

On April 4, ERC Cos. of Barling will break ground on a new mixed-use apartment complex, Thrive, at the intersection of Southwest A and Southwest Fourth streets

Nice article in Arkansas Business today on downtown Bentonville, with a picture of the "Thrive" apartment complex scheduled to have ground broken the first week in April a few blocks south of the square.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/97653/bentonville-stresses-its-small-town-feel:

thrive-bentonville-apartment.jpg

Edited by KJW

In reference to the new high school in Centerton, it will be built at Seba and Gamble Roads behind the Mormon church and across the street from Centerton Gamble Elementary. From what I hear there will be quite a bit of road improvement in that area to handle traffic. I'm excited to see what this will bring to Centerton. It'll be interesting though to see how the traffic issue is dealt with since this will be located so close to Hwy 72.

Bentonville west wolverines is the name and mascot of the new high school also a article on centerton economics growth http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltext-news/d/story/centerton-town-set-to-boom-with-business/27283/j5tp8vf5jUSvr6nyXveBvQ

1.  MAN, does that Centerton NHM look claustrophobia-inducing.  I've never seen one of these stores so surrounded by homes and other structures.

2.  Nice article on Bentonville in The City Wire (following on the heels of the AB article on Bennie this week).  Regarding the words on the UAMS forum last week about this area being so philanthropic, according to the Rogers mayor:

So, however, is the support the district receives. The Indian conglomerate Tata is helping the district with technology. Each month, the community hosts a First Friday event that brings booths, activities and musical acts to the town square. One month, the school partnered with Nickelodeon. Not long afterwards, Poore received a call from Disney asking why it hadn’t been involved.

“There’s things like that that happen on a pretty cool and regular basis here (with) people reaching out to us to say, ‘We’d like to partner with you and we want to support you,’ and I’ve never been a part of a community that gives more,” Poore said.

http://www.thecitywire.com/node/32250#.UynYMPldWWY

New walmart super center in centerton ...

Walmart Announces New Store in Center ton

Centerton Supercenter brings 300 additional jobs, affordable groceries

CENTERTON, Ark., Mar. 26, 2014 – Walmart today announced plans for a new store at Centerton Boulevard and South Fish Hatchery Road, creating a new option for residents seeking a job or wanting more affordable shopping options close to where they live or work. The Centerton Walmart will create approximately 300 local jobs and is expected to open in the summer of 2015.

“Walmart is proud to continue to be a part of the community of Centerton,” Walmart Sr. Manager of Public Affairs Erica Jones said, “While Centerton continues to grow along with the rest of Northwest Arkansas, Walmart will be there to provide its citizens with access to fresh food and general merchandise at everyday low prices.”

The 180,000-square-foot Centerton Walmart store will feature a full line of groceries as well as a bakery, delicatessen, frozen foods and meat, dairy and fresh produce sections. General merchandise areas include a full-service pharmacy, apparel and accessories, tire lube express, sporting goods, electronics, home, lawn and garden, fine jewelry and health and beauty.

“We are excited to see Walmart continue to play a part in the growth of our community” said Centerton Mayor Bill Edwards. “This new development will continue to improve the quality of life for our citizens and broaden our tax base.”

Like most new Walmart stores, the Centerton Walmart will include energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store will have a day lighting monitoring system in the grocery area. This system automatically and continuously dims all the lights as the daylight contribution increases.

The new store will be equipped with a water-cooled air handling unit serving the sales floor with state-of-the-art technology to remove moisture and provide fresh air for healthy indoor air quality. The system allows the store to operate at a higher summer temperature, use less energy, and allows the refrigeration system to operate more efficiently. Additionally, the heat generated by the refrigeration equipment is captured to heat water for use in food preparation areas of the store.

Walmart employs more than 48,901 people at its 107 Arkansas locations and the average wage for regular, full-time hourly associates in Arkansas is $12.16 per hour. Additionally, Walmart spent more than $11.5 billion for merchandise and services with suppliers in Arkansas last year alone. As a result of those relationships, the company supports an additional 52,107 supplier jobs in the state.

About Walmart

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online, and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 245 million customers and members visit our 11,302 stores under 71 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce websites in 10 countries. With fiscal year 2014 sales of over $473 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://corporate.walmart.com on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.

###

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a small something is being built across from the Centerton Animal Hospital.  No signs up though, so I ain't sure what it is.  It's not a big building at all.

Saw that myself just today.

In other news (though not Bentonville-related, directly): I will bet that some art deals that will end up in Bentonville will be negotiated in THIS pad, said to be "the most expensive co-op in NYC history".  Astonishing

• 2 weeks later...

It is another shopping center

They have laid out more dirt, so it does appear so.  There's another coming soon sign on the building on Airport Blvd across from the Walmart distribution center.  Now, it just says "Italian Grill" instead of it's previous "Roma Italian Grill."  If it's the same people, hopefully they shut it down previously so they could learn how to cook and also how to run a restaurant.  I was not impressed by either the food or the service the one and only time I went.  

Small tidbits:

- No big surprise, but there's another strip mall/office center going in west of the new McDonald's on Regional Airport Road.  The signs with the images of the property appear to have a logo on the rendering of the future building, as if a business has already located in here, but I couldn't read the logo driving by.

- As with Hwy. 72 north and northwest of the future Bentonville West High school, "For sale" signs are going up all along Regional Airport Road in particular where the road curves to the south at a point west of the Kum and Go, then curves back west by the WM distribution center.  I saw one sign where, again, an image of an apparent future warehouse/distro complex is depicted.

(Cautionary note...remember that office building just west of WM DC, where the developer had innovative ideas including projecting old movies against the walls continuously from the outside (to those who weren't here when that was built a decade ago, I'm not joking)?  It apparently stands vacant today.  The apartments near it are thriving, but I hope the developers of this apparent future complex have taken heed.)

- New cable lines are being laid on Forest Hills Drive south of Lancashire in Bella Vista.  This is on the way from BV to the part of Gravette formerly known as "Hiwasse".  I'm guessing that, like the area west of the new west Highway 72 bridge, Hwy 72 near BWHS mentioned above and the area near the WMDC, preparations are being made for expected growth between Bentonville's expansion, future I-49 and the expected wave of population to grow up around BWHS.