Bentonville, Arkansas

Mith242

KJW are you talking about Brownstone? Sadly that project stalled because the architect, and my former boss had a massive stroke during that development, and the fallout from his departure did way more than abandon that specific project.

UrbanArkie...so sorry to hear this.  I thought it had just been quietly abandoned as some things were in the mid-2000s.  The people behind that, in the article I read, had some VERY cool ideas.   :blush:  :unsure:  :(

(EDIT: the only positive thing I can think about that is that man had a vision, and maybe (with the perhaps bigger but NOT-as-innovative rendering I saw on the sign yesterday north of Brownstone) said vision's time has come.)

Edited by KJW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember that site on Central Ave. that everyone was speculating would be the new Walton Performing Arts Center?  Looks like it's going to be a Neighborhood Market...  Below is the info submitted today to the Arkansas Dept. of Health...  

Submitter: Stores Inc, Wal-Mart Organization: Address: 702 SW 8th Street City: Bentonville State: AR Zip: 72712 Phone Number: 479-273-4000 E-Mail:

Project Information

Project ID: 88310 Manager: Penning, George Received: 5/23/2014 12:00:00 AM Due: 6/2/2014 Logged: 5/23/2014 Closed: 0 Classification: Plumbing Status: Open     Summary: WALMART NEIGHORHOOD MARKET #2686 E. CENTRAL AVE. & MLK PARKWAY PD 14-816 REC 05/23/14 PAID $500.00*

PROJECT ADDRESS: E. Central Ave. and MLK Parkway

Remember that site on Central Ave. that everyone was speculating would be the new Walton Performing Arts Center?  Looks like it's going to be a Neighborhood Market...  Below is the info submitted today to the Arkansas Dept. of Health...  

Submitter: Stores Inc, Wal-Mart Organization: Address: 702 SW 8th Street City: Bentonville State: AR Zip: 72712 Phone Number: 479-273-4000 E-Mail:

Project Information

Project ID: 88310 Manager: Penning, George Received: 5/23/2014 12:00:00 AM Due: 6/2/2014 Logged: 5/23/2014 Closed: 0 Classification: Plumbing Status: Open     Summary: WALMART NEIGHORHOOD MARKET #2686 E. CENTRAL AVE. & MLK PARKWAY PD 14-816 REC 05/23/14 PAID $500.00*

Odd.  There's an "NHM" that seems not that far away by NWACC, that really doesn't seem that far from here.  I think the Centerton one is actually farther from the new one on Airport Rd. than this will be from the one near NWACC.

BTW, sorry if I missed it but what again is that "outparcel" being built in front of the Comet Cleaners on Walton Ave. again?

Remember that site on Central Ave. that everyone was speculating would be the new Walton Performing Arts Center? Looks like it's going to be a Neighborhood Market... Below is the info submitted today to the Arkansas Dept. of Health...

Project Information

Project ID: 88310 Manager: Penning, George Received: 5/23/2014 12:00:00 AM Due: 6/2/2014 Logged: 5/23/2014 Closed: 0 Classification: Plumbing Status: Open Summary: WALMART NEIGHORHOOD MARKET #2686 E. CENTRAL AVE. & MLK PARKWAY PD 14-816 REC 05/23/14 PAID $500.00*

This is interesting, city council plan says the lot was split, could the WAC and wmt nhm

both go there? Is it possible?

I guess anything is possible, however I'd doubt that the WAC would want to be adjacent to a NHM.  (Kind of ironic.)  Given that the Waltons want the new WAC close to downtown, I'm speculating that the new WAC will either be at the old fairgrounds (which I'm hoping for) or on J street in front of Crystal Bridges.  I guess, in time, we'll see....

I guess anything is possible, however I'd doubt that the WAC would want to be adjacent to a NHM.  (Kind of ironic.)  Given that the Waltons want the new WAC close to downtown, I'm speculating that the new WAC will either be at the old fairgrounds (which I'm hoping for) or on J street in front of Crystal Bridges.  I guess, in time, we'll see....

The fairgrounds is the most logical. It will not be next to the neighborhood market.

The fairgrounds is the most logical. It will not be next to the neighborhood market.

If I remember right the old fairgrounds is accessed by unimproved 2 lane streets, none with a direct path to I49. When the WAC was considering where to place the expansion easy access was one of the criteria and I believe direct access off I49 was desired. Its interesting seeing how the site choice is playing out.

Last I'd heard (and this may have changed) was that the city is going to expand 8th street to 5 lanes from I-49 to I street.  This is the street adjacent to the north boundary of the fairgrounds property, which would give them the access they need.  This project has been in the planning stages for years, but I've heard the property acquisition has begun, so they should make it a priority soon.

Here's a link...  

http://www.bentonvillear.com/departments/transportation-department/street-projects/8th-street/

Edited by bubba72704

Last I'd heard (and this may have changed) was that the city is going to expand 8th street to 5 lanes from I-49 to I street.  This is the street adjacent to the north boundary of the fairgrounds property, which would give them the access they need.  This project has been in the planning stages for years, but I've heard the property acquisition has begun, so they should make it a priority soon.

Here's a link...  

http://www.bentonvillear.com/departments/transportation-department/street-projects/8th-street/

It's going right through the WM ISD parking lot. Temperature controlled tunnels under the road for employees. I can't imagine what a cluster it's going to be. It's already been a mess there due to them adding another floor to the main building. 

It's going right through the WM ISD parking lot. Temperature controlled tunnels under the road for employees. I can't imagine what a cluster it's going to be. It's already been a mess there due to them adding another floor to the main building. 

It'd go through the HO's parking lot as well.  Seems odd to keep it going to I, though 8th and I is currently an awful intersection (in my opinion only because of the traffic lights being on terrible schedules) and I guess it would connect to the 5 lanes west of I.

Edited by jb1087

• 2 weeks later...

They're scraping off land for a construction project roughly between Newell Rubbermaid and Outdoor Cap, but on "I" street.  Didn't see a sign for what it is going to be.

Also,  there's a subdivision that, after receiving paved streets and lights back in the mid-2000s in the far southwest corner of Centerton, had lain fallow for years.  Not now.  Six new homes already built, a new foundation going in, and lots of dirt being turned for it.  The new Bentonville West High school will officially break ground on Monday, June 23 (five days after the Centerton Walmart Neighborhood Market officially opens).  Keep an eye on west and north Centerton now.

• Like 2

They're scraping off land for a construction project roughly between Newell Rubbermaid and Outdoor Cap, but on "I" street.  Didn't see a sign for what it is going to be.

Also,  there's a subdivision that, after receiving paved streets and lights back in the mid-2000s in the far southwest corner of Centerton, had lain fallow for years.  Not now.  Six new homes already built, a new foundation going in, and lots of dirt being turned for it.  The new Bentonville West High school will officially break ground on Monday, June 23 (five days after the Centerton Walmart Neighborhood Market officially opens).  Keep an eye on west and north Centerton now.

Planet Fitness next to Rubbermaid...