Bentonville, Arkansas

Mith242

Anyone remember the "slip ramps" of Little Rock back in the 80s/90s, where people would come off the interstate at highway speed onto the parallel access road, right into or in front of oncoming traffic?  Some people lost their lives in terrible accidents on those.

I'm from Little Rock but don't remember one of these specifically.  Do you have an example of where one was?

I'm from Little Rock but don't remember one of these specifically.  Do you have an example of where one was?

Sure, jb1087.  I remember several of them along I-35 in the southwest area of the city, from around the south end of University to the county line at least (they may have been in Saline County to Benton as well).  There were news stories done about those.  I remember my wife and I going out to eat one night and seeing a ton of emergency vehicles in the distance; turns out some people had been killed, sadly, on one of those in a near head-on collision as one vehicle exited I-35. 

BTW, forgot to add, something going in just to the east of the new Walmart NHM in Centerton, but wouldn't be surprised if it was just a Murphy's.  Also, more housing development starting to ramp up along the far west end of the Bentonville school district which will be served by the aforementioned West High school.  Pretty amazing how much stuff is going in here right now.

BTW, forgot to add, something going in just to the east of the new Walmart NHM in Centerton, but wouldn't be surprised if it was just a Murphy's.  Also, more housing development starting to ramp up along the far west end of the Bentonville school district which will be served by the aforementioned West High school.  Pretty amazing how much stuff is going in here right now.

A gas station is the most likely to be put there.  It seems too close to the market to be anything else.  They must have wanted to get the market taken care of before focusing on the gas station part.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

8W Center seems to have snuck in under the radar. This is a 80,000 sq. ft. development planned for the lot where Jimmy Johns is now across from the Walmart Home Office. It will be a 6 story building that seems to be on a fast track for completion. I knew a companion building to Bentonville Plaza was planned but this is a different development. There must a be a huge demand for space directly across from WM.

• Like 1

8W Center seems to have snuck in under the radar. This is a 80,000 sq. ft. development planned for the lot where Jimmy Johns is now across from the Walmart Home Office. It will be a 6 story building that seems to be on a fast track for completion. I knew a companion building to Bentonville Plaza was planned but this is a different development. There must a be a huge demand for space directly across from WM.

4a4c973dfba34a17ae9faa4af785d8b4.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Comreguy,

I think I know the answer to this but...Menard's (Home Improvement centers) have just announced that they're building two new centers in Springfield, MO, their first ever this far south.  They have one at Lake of the Ozarks, MO but, like Hy Vee which has one store in Springfield, are basically a midwest chain.

I've read journalists say that Springfield is "the northernmost Southern city".  There once was a time when I might have agreed growing up, but now I think it's more the southernmost Midwestern city.  Hy Vee has a great food selection and a deli/cafe with desserts that can initiate a positively Pavlovian response; however, if they ever came here WM could price-match the you-know-what out of them.  (They've only got one store in Spfld anyway vs. 3 in the smaller Missouri metro area of Columbia - I get the feeling H-V is doing a lot of testing down here.)

Yet I was wondering if you think Menards would ever go south of the Mason-Dixon line, with NWA being the most likely spot.  I doubt it, and in a way it's kind of nice to still have regional chains...but was wondering your thoughts.  It would be kind of fun to see their banner-flags flying in the breeze down here. Thanks in advance.

Comreguy,

I think I know the answer to this but...Menard's (Home Improvement centers) have just announced that they're building two new centers in Springfield, MO, their first ever this far south. They have one at Lake of the Ozarks, MO but, like Hy Vee which has one store in Springfield, are basically a midwest chain.

I've read journalists say that Springfield is "the northernmost Southern city". There once was a time when I might have agreed growing up, but now I think it's more the southernmost Midwestern city. Hy Vee has a great food selection and a deli/cafe with desserts that can initiate a positively Pavlovian response; however, if they ever came here WM could price-match the you-know-what out of them. (They've only got one store in Spfld anyway vs. 3 in the smaller Missouri metro area of Columbia - I get the feeling H-V is doing a lot of testing down here.)

Yet I was wondering if you think Menards would ever go south of the Mason-Dixon line, with NWA being the most likely spot. I doubt it, and in a way it's kind of nice to still have regional chains...but was wondering your thoughts. It would be kind of fun to see their banner-flags flying in the breeze down here. Thanks in advance.

They came up in a conversation last week. Have heard they'd look at Arkansas but might be 2-3 years before they are ready to seriously consider sites.

• Like 1

They came up in a conversation last week. Have heard they'd look at Arkansas but might be 2-3 years before they are ready to seriously consider sites.

Thank you, comreguy.  I knew they would be a different story than HyVee given their business.  One things's for sure, IMO - were they to come to the Bentonville/Bella Vista area there would be a lot of people in both cities - retiree and business transplant - who would know what a "Menard's" is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...