Bentonville, Arkansas

Mith242

I have purchased a couple vehicles from Jackie Cooper in Tulsa. My salesman told me that the ownership has definitely considered opening a Lexus dealership in NWA. I got the impression that they haven't found the right property for what they want to do, which is likely a multi-brand dealership requiring a very large piece of land.

Infiniti would be great here as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two Fridays ago, I was surprised to see that in Conway, the ADG had a headline of the apparently "New England/northeast-style" (my term, not theirs) prep school the Walton family is going to build in Bentonville, and that they've already hired a headmaster of the school who currently is a dean (for curriculum) at Princeton.

I say this because it's noteworthy that Bentonville High, as of this past Friday, became the first ever multi-time and back-to-back winner of the MaxPreps Cup for the best high school athletic program in the nation.  They were competing against around 14,000 other American high schools for the honor. This year, "Bennie" won 10 state high school championships, more than any other program in the United States for the 2014-15 school year.  Last year, BHS won 9 state championships.  My mother, a retired public school teacher in Missouri, bristled when I told her of the Walton school announcement, and I wondered how it would be taken elsewhere in NWA.  Nonetheless, there are people from the Northeast and all over the world moving in who, apparently, want for their kids the type of education this future prep school will provide.  I won't fault a parent for trying to choose what they thing is right for their kids.

I will say a gentle admonishment, though.  Dream big.  But be careful what you wish for...note that a bunch of those same type prep schools followed after Bentonville High School in this and last year's 2013-14 MaxPreps Cup title.  And be thankful for what you've had, and not just in athletics (for example, BHS has finished at the top or near in several national band/choral/fine arts competitions, especially the Bentonville High Chamber Choir).  The BHS superintendent said last year (when no less than four BHS Class of 2010 grads matriculated from West Point) that he was confident no other American high school had sent as many kids to the service academies this decade as Bentonville High had.

Again, dream big, Walton family and friends, but be grateful for what you've had here.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/4DTaidjmGkSJy59mMN8bSg/final-2014-15-maxpreps-cup-standings.htm

Edited by KJW

• 4 weeks later...

Are they still going to announce plans for the Walton Performing Arts center at some point?

Don't expect anything to be announced about the Bentonville performing arts center until the Fayetteville WAC renovation is almost finished.  I would expect the latest we hear about the new performing arts center would be right after the grand re-opening of Fayetteville's renovated performing arts center in fall 2016.  

I expect a "fundraising campaign" official announcement, followed shortly afterwards by a design and a groundbreaking announcement.  Rest assured, there is a lot being done "behind the scenes" right now for that center.  They probably don't want to steal any thunder from their present renovation, however.

Edited by wmr

• 2 months later...

11898573_956874911036886_292072295753021

"Me and my arrow..."

Bentonville Arts District is welcoming its first permanent public sculpture this week. 

The Three Feathers pictured above was created by artist Dayton Castleman from Rogers. The sculpture started as an unused utility pole and now looks like an arrow that's six stories above Southwest A Street. The feathers of the arrow are lined with neon so the sculpture can be seen both during the day and night. 

Castleman's work has been exhibited around the world.   

The city hopes the sculpture will by a symbol for others to recognize the arts district as a place where all off the arts can be experienced. 

Edited by KJW
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Praise to Bentonville for being recognized by SingleTracks dotcom as the 'Mt. Bike Capitol of Arkansas' ... as an avid rider, I think its a toss-up between Bentonville, Eureka Springs or Fayetteville - all three very active cycling communities with lots of single track trails in close proximity.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-trails/the-51-mountain-bike-capitals-of-the-united-states/2/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The movie theatre was approved. 

http://www.nwabusinessjournal.com/15002/bentonville-planning-commission-to-consider-downtown-movie-theater

Also, speaking of the film festival, Gina Davis appeared on Jimmy Kimmel last night & talked about it & Bentonville briefly. 

On April 8, 2016 at 8:11 PM, jatello said:

About six months ago I read they were planning on building a 6 to 8 story structure across the street from Walmart headquarters. Haven't been up there for a while. Has anything happened with that? 

Here is a pic of the construction:

Edited by krt479

• 1 month later...

NWA Business Journal has an article (which I can't read) about this

"Lindsey Management Co. affiliate company Walton Crossing Apartments LP paid $2.65 million for 25.25 acres, east of Walton Boulevard."

The only thing I can think of that size is the old car lots south of the home office. 

Anyone know if that's the lot and what exactly is going in? I can't access the article due to paywall

9 hours ago, 14th&Walton said:

NWA Business Journal has an article (which I can't read) about this

"Lindsey Management Co. affiliate company Walton Crossing Apartments LP paid $2.65 million for 25.25 acres, east of Walton Boulevard."

The only thing I can think of that size is the old car lots south of the home office. 

Anyone know if that's the lot and what exactly is going in? I can't access the article due to paywall

It's actually quite a bit further south off of 28th street, behind the old Chrysler dealership 

You may already know this but a great tool for things like this is the GIS map function on the Benton County Website -- especially when you know the owner name but not where the parcel is located.  Go to co.benton.ar.us and click on 'GIS Maps' then 'parcel map'.  In the upper-right hand corner you'll see the search function.  If you search for 'Walton Crossing' the map will zoom straight to the parcel.  If you want more info about the parcel just click on it and you'll get ownership details.