Bentonville, Arkansas

Mith242

Because I live in Fayetteville I don't have as much interest in Bentonville's development as some but it's a major player in our metro. I wonder what that city wants to become. The general feel is that there are opposing views- some want downtown Bentonville to remain the quaint town square from Sam's time and those who want the area to become a much more urban center. It seems well on its way to becoming a more urban center but without the corporate presence such that that is growing in SW Rogers. As I've told many visitors to NWA- we are just a large surburb without a city center.

Edited by zman9810

Bentonville seems to be aiming to be the cultural capital of Arkansas in some ways.  At a minimum, they will have an "urban core" more fitting a city of 60-70k people than the one they had just a few years ago, designed for a city of 15,000 people.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, wmr said:

Bentonville seems to be aiming to be the cultural capital of Arkansas in some ways.  At a minimum, they will have an "urban core" more fitting a city of 60-70k people than the one they had just a few years ago, designed for a city of 15,000 people.

I agree with you- between Crystal Bridges and the Bentonville Film Fest the city has become the cultural center for the state. That fact makes it even more surprising that the Walton Family Foundation seems to have pulled back on plans for the large performing arts center that had been anticipated for Benton county.

19 hours ago, zman9810 said:

I agree with you- between Crystal Bridges and the Bentonville Film Fest the city has become the cultural center for the state. That fact makes it even more surprising that the Walton Family Foundation seems to have pulled back on plans for the large performing arts center that had been anticipated for Benton county.

Have they pulled back?  I'm so disappointed, if so.   We've been looking forward to that center for years.   So..no big Broadway shows?

• 1 month later...

On Saturday there was a gathering on the square of about 100 people. News reports are saying they are passing around a petition to remove the statue. Found it but couldn't find the one that is opposing it. Odd how the news links to one but not the other....

Personally I think it is silly to have it removed for several reasons. 

1) It costs money.

2) It is a part of our town and a part of our history.

3) The statue isn't there because he was a Confederate soldier. He has a statue for the public service he and his family provided after the war.

4) A simple plaque explaining in more detail who he was and why he got a statue would be greater because of all the things above.

5) no matter what we should never allow our history, (good, bad, or indifferent), to be removed from the public eye. Mistakes are less likely if we can learn from the past. 

Edited by Snaple4
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its unfortunate this forum doesn't have representation from Benton County ... probably more stuff going on in Bentonville / Rogers than the rest of the state combined!  Anyway, the Bentonville area currently has several new hotel developments in the works:

• Westin Element / 4-story 107 room / located on South Walton Boulevard (construction almost complete)
  • Hilton Home2Suites / 5-story 119 rooms / located on Southeast Griffin Drive (large scale development plans submitted)
  • Marriott Creekside Courtyard / 5-story 121 rooms / located on Pinnacle Hills Promenade (under construction)

And last month, Tom Walton announced plans for a new full service hotel between 100 and 200 rooms on Central Avenue.  Walton was involved with bringing the 21C hotel ( https://www.21cmuseumhotels.com/bentonville/ ) to Bentonville in 2013.  Hotel brand affiliation has not been announced at this point but is being labeled a 'signature amenity'.  Project is in the early stages of design with groundbreaking expected in 2019.

On 7/17/2018 at 8:43 AM, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

Its unfortunate this forum doesn't have representation from Benton County ... probably more stuff going on in Bentonville / Rogers than the rest of the state combined!  Anyway, the Bentonville area currently has several new hotel developments in the works:

• Westin Element / 4-story 107 room / located on South Walton Boulevard (construction almost complete)
  • Hilton Home2Suites / 5-story 119 rooms / located on Southeast Griffin Drive (large scale development plans submitted)
  • Marriott Creekside Courtyard / 5-story 121 rooms / located on Pinnacle Hills Promenade (under construction)

And last month, Tom Walton announced plans for a new full service hotel between 100 and 200 rooms on Central Avenue.  Walton was involved with bringing the 21C hotel ( https://www.21cmuseumhotels.com/bentonville/ ) to Bentonville in 2013.  Hotel brand affiliation has not been announced at this point but is being labeled a 'signature amenity'.  Project is in the early stages of design with groundbreaking expected in 2019.

I agree that a larger Benton county presence would be nice. Although, this forum has lost a lot of activity over the last few years so just more activity in general would be nice.

Good information on the hotels. Hadn't even noticed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of Tom Walton, his hospitality group (responsible for Pressroom, Preacher's Son, and the converted Record) opened The Holler at the 8th Street Market a few weeks ago. I've heard it's very good, kinda experimental in the food options, big open space. Here's their site: https://www.alocalhangout.com

8th Street Market also has a Filipino restaurant opening tomorrow too.

I've only driven through that area a few times, but with the new restaurants I'm sure I'll start eating there regularly. I still remember that being a rundown, vacant Tyson plant for a long time.

• 3 years later...