Bentonville, Arkansas

Mith242

If there was any doubt that Fayetteville has stagnated relative to her peer cities, today provided an abundance of proof.  Springdale unveiling their plans for Spring Creek through downtown, and now this amazing museum for Bentonville.

Fayetteville doesn't seem to want any more growth, though

The Walton's preference to spend their money in Bentonville doesn't indicate a lack of desire for growth in Fayetteville. Springdale playing catch up with their Spring Creek plan doesn't mean Fayetteville doesn't have many plans for future improvements downtown and in their overall trail system.

College towns are great. They hold their alumni in the community like a cool but strange uncle. However, Bentonville is something else, something great, and soon to be something incredible.

To say "the Walton's preference" or influence in ANYTHING in NWA is like saying I use straight boards in building a house.

What is UofA without the Walton's? What is Arrest Ballpark without Walton's?

Dang, I go to Fayetteville and every time it seems like a new high-rise dorm or something is being built.  That school moving to the SEC was a very far sighted move.  That city will never dry up and blow away.  And though I'm a teetotaler there's no place in NWA like Dickson Street.

Dang, I go to Fayetteville and every time it seems like a new high-rise dorm or something is being built.  That school moving to the SEC was a very far sighted move.  That city will never dry up and blow away.  And though I'm a teetotaler there's no place in NWA like Dickson Street.

Not yet.

What makes Dickson so great? Bars? Venues? College scene? Just wondering, as there are other locations with immense interest.

Maybe I am missing something about Dickson that I don't know about.

Bars, unique local restaurants, shops, the arts center, condos and offices, all built together in a walkable environment. The ability to close the street for large gatherings and concerts. The proximity to the U of A. The nostalgia. The proximity to the Fayetteville Square. I could go on and yes you are missing something.

• Like 1

I think Fayetteville will do fine, I'm just saying its clear that Fayetteville doesn't have the forward-thinking leadership it had 10 years ago.  Nothing is happening in Fayetteville relative to the rest of NWA, and certainly not compared to several years ago.

Fayetteville bragged often about its trails, but now every other NWA city will have the same level of trail system that Fayetteville has.  Some will have better amenities.  The Springdale mountain biking stuff sounds great.  

I think the majority of people in Fayetteville want it this way.  I can't think of any other reason why they elected Lioneld Jordan twice.

I think Fayetteville will do fine, I'm just saying its clear that Fayetteville doesn't have the forward-thinking leadership it had 10 years ago.  Nothing is happening in Fayetteville relative to the rest of NWA, and certainly not compared to several years ago.

Fayetteville bragged often about its trails, but now every other NWA city will have the same level of trail system that Fayetteville has.  Some will have better amenities.  The Springdale mountain biking stuff sounds great.  

I think the majority of people in Fayetteville want it this way.  I can't think of any other reason why they elected Lioneld Jordan twice.

I certainly agree about Jordan- he is a status quo type guy compared to Coody.

My "Walton's preference " remark was specifically about the museum mentioned in the post I quoted. It is understood without having to repeat that the Waltons have had a great influence area wide.

Fayetteville could pursue it's own museum. It could house the U of A's collections that are mothballed, an Imax, a wing for traveling exhibits and so on.

A multipurpose arena from 7.000 to 10,000 is needed. The U of A doesn't seem to be in a hurry to upgrade BWA. Something like the Landers Center in Southhaven MS is a good example.

5690378635_b7be58e07f_z.jpg

Fayetteville could pursue it's own Aquatic Center, even go in a partnership with Springdale  and locate it around Lake Fayetteville. The new Rogers Center is very nice for a muni owned facility it is still not what a good privately owned could be and I think a commercial one near Arvest Park is the best option.

Oh, and who is going to be the first to mention ZOO.

Who would be the groups to contact about a zoo?

Maybe Mike Duke, current Walmart CEO, thinking how:

1. Crystal Bridges was started by Alice Walton, Walmart founder and first CEO Sam's daughter;

2. The Northwest Arkansas Naturals (if the combined Fort Smith/NWA does indeed hit 1.4 million, wonder if they'd go AAA?  Right now, the 784,000 estimated NWA/FSM combined population is bigger than current AAA ball club cities Des Moines/Ames and Colorado Springs) were very much helped along by Kansas City Royals owner David Glass, Walmart's second CEO.

3. The upcoming Amazeum features, on their web site, something like "Sponsored by Mr. and Mrs. Lee Scott", (the former a.k.a Walmart CEO #3).

Gut feeling is that Mr. Duke may be involved in something significant to follow suit here in NWA.  We'll see.

I was just throwing a zoo out there as an idea. If it comes to pass, keep it top notch with top of the line habitats instead of numbers of animals. Partner with the Game and Fish with an aquarium with a heavy focus on native species since there's no nature center in the second most populated area of the state with the closest being in Ft. Smith.

On another note, the new Wonders of Wildlife will have Manatees when it reopens in Springfield.

Edited by TRB

I still think probably one of the weirdest (or maybe not) things in Bentonville is the DreamWorks office right next to the Walton Museum on the square.  The DW place apparently was "christened" by Stephen Spielberg himself though it was kept largely under wraps...there's no doubt who is renting the office which goes deep in the building behind the Walmart museum.  It appears that DW and WM will be working quite closely on certain projects which ostensibly will be distributed only trhough Walmart.

crossmark-center-for-collaboration.jpg

http://www.nwabusinessjournal.com/11655/crossmark-building-to-serve-wal-marts-manufacturers

Just saw where they're plowing ground for this building, and as the late Paul Harvey used to say, it's "a 'strange'".

It's located across the street east of the WM headquarters, and immediately north of the old Sam's Club building, now the HR department, I believe.  For a moment I thought finally WM was building a new facility there, but it's Crossmark's.  Weird to see how partially surrounded this place is by Walmart buildings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never fully understood just where "the rainbow curve" in Bentonville is delineated, but:

1.  It appears the old Clarion Inn in Bentonville is being renovated.  Is this the new Hilton?  If not, someone's bought it for something.  This is northeast of where I think the aforementioned "curve" is.

2.  Also, there's a lot of work happening at the old convenience store that was just west of the curve.  The store's been empty for about 2 years, I believe.  Don't know what will happen but it's certainly in a key area.

I've never fully understood just where "the rainbow curve" in Bentonville is delineated, but:

1.  It appears the old Clarion Inn in Bentonville is being renovated.  Is this the new Hilton?  If not, someone's bought it for something.  This is northeast of where I think the aforementioned "curve" is.

2.  Also, there's a lot of work happening at the old convenience store that was just west of the curve.  The store's been empty for about 2 years, I believe.  Don't know what will happen but it's certainly in a key area.

. Hi burg, not sure of what the hotel will be. I know the restaurant will be a Italian grill/bar. Think it said Joes Italian grill and pub.

Not sure if considered rogers or bentonville. New snazzy looking bike shop coming to town right next to the Toyota dealership by shogun. The Highroller Cyclery.attachicon.gif20130810_192715.jpg

Highroller is a longtime and well known Fayetteville bicycle shop.  Hadn't realized they were planning on opening a location up there.  But makes sense considering some shops up there have since opened locations down in Fayetteville as well.

2.  Also, there's a lot of work happening at the old convenience store that was just west of the curve.  The store's been empty for about 2 years, I believe.  Don't know what will happen but it's certainly in a

1 I was told a while back that the hotel would be a Four Seasons hotel; I was also told that a new Hilton at one time was going in the old GMC lot on Walton in front of the home office.

2. Speculation says the old convenience store is being remodeled into one of the new liquor stores. Not confirmed yet

• 2 weeks later...