Bentonville, Arkansas

Mith242

I heard a rumor that Walmart will soon build a Supercenter in Centerton - behind the McDonalds on Hwy. 102.  Can anyone verify?

That rumor was around in the mid-2000s.  However, 6-8 years later Centerton has just (been estimated to have) crossed the 10,000 mark in population, and Walmart builds supercenters in cities with populations like that.  Given how far it is from Store 100 across from Walmart's HQ, that wouldn't surprise me if it would be there on 102.

That rumor was around in the mid-2000s.  However, 6-8 years later Centerton has just (been estimated to have) crossed the 10,000 mark in population, and Walmart builds supercenters in cities with populations like that.  Given how far it is from Store 100 across from Walmart's HQ, that wouldn't surprise me if it would be there on 102.

The wal-mart plans for the Centerton accross from Sonic were scrapped (2-3 years ago) initially because of the flood zone. and the plans of the city who would not agree to put a light up there.  However with all the work in motion in that area, there maybe still a chance. 

This is just as much Bentonville related as it is Fort Smith related...The Walton Foundation has donated $2 million to the U.S. Marshals museum.  Willing to guess that with I-49 coming and opening up NWA/FSM to the northern U.S. via Interstate, they're willing to help build a genuine "critical mass" (I don't like that phrase but right now I can't think of a better one) for tourism to northwest Arkansas.

I see a building permit issued for $30 million at 805 SE Moberly Lane. That location is probably a Walmart project but I haven't seen anything in the local media about. I'm surprised something that big has not been talked about-anyone know what it is?

Looks like it is something new at the Glass Technology Center. Maybe a new data center?

To give an idea of what $30 million can buy- the Hunt Center for Business on the University of Arkansas campus is a 5 story building with 120,000 sq. ft. It only cost $23 million when completed in 2007. So what ever is going on at 805 is a major project with very little publicity about it.

To give an idea of what $30 million can buy- the Hunt Center for Business on the University of Arkansas campus is a 5 story building with 120,000 sq. ft. It only cost $23 million when completed in 2007. So what ever is going on at 805 is a major project with very little publicity about it.

They are adding another floor and remodeling the whole building. Including a new cafeteria. This might also include the underpass for the 8th street widening project to allow people to get to the parking lot once the street widdens to connect to the highway.

They are adding another floor and remodeling the whole building. Including a new cafeteria. This might also include the underpass for the 8th street widening project to allow people to get to the parking lot once the street widdens to connect to the highway.

It should be very impressive when completed. Thanks for the info.

Anybody know or have heard what's going on at Central and MLK (Wildcat) just in front of the Helen Walton Center.  I was told that Wal-mart is clearing the brush.  Speculation said Walton Arts center will go there? Others say Walton Arts Center is going at 8th and A st.  If so I wonder waout traffic and parking. thoughts..?

Edited by twin_number2

Noticed this afternoon that Bentonville has gotten what I'm guessing may be its first Portuguese language billboard, for ABRAFARMA (Brazilian pharmacy association), located on Walton Blvd. just north of both "Store 100" and Walmart HQ.  Wonder if this is also the first Portuguese language billboard message in Arkansas?

I noticed a 'sold' sign in front of the old Tyson plant in downtown Bentonville yesterday.  Just off of 8th and J St.  Anyone know what this is going to be?

I saw that too.that place has been on the market for 5 years. With the road widening maybe they will tear it down and develop it into something else.

• 2 weeks later...

As most in NWA who've watched the news know, Bentonville voters approved a millage for a second high school to be built in Centerton.  (I've heard that it will be south of where the McDonalds is, or Lifeway Christian School across the street to the west.)

Heritage High School was built around the old Rogers High School a few years back.  Har-Ber of Springdale was built in the planned community of the same name.  It will be interesting to see what happens in that area south of Centerton, where there's (at this moment) a significant chunk of open space.  If enrollment growth holds, were the new high school to open at it stated capacity of 2,250, the existing Bentonville High would still have 3,100 kids when the new school opens in 2016.

In reference to the new high school in Centerton, it will be built at Seba and Gamble Roads behind the Mormon church and across the street from Centerton Gamble Elementary. From what I hear there will be quite a bit of road improvement in that area to handle traffic. I'm excited to see what this will bring to Centerton. It'll be interesting though to see how the traffic issue is dealt with since this will be located so close to Hwy 72.

Centerton might as well be part of Bentonville...I suspected that all sorts of things might break loose if the second high school was approved.

Construction cones along Highway 102 in Centerton, a sign of growth as the road expands from two to five lanes.

Centerton Mayor Bill Edwards said the city has grown 433 percent in ten years, adding 1,000 people every year.

“We do know that we are getting a new liquor store there was a liquor license approved near the White Oak in Centerton, we are also getting a new Medical center,” said Edwards.

Major projects are popping up, including a 41,000 thousand square foot Walmart Neighborhood Market to be built off Greenhouse Road.  The new store is expected to add 95 jobs.

Construction is expected to begin in 2014 with the opening in the Fall of 2014.

Last week voters approved a millage increase for a second high school to relieve overcrowding in the Bentonville High School.

The school will be built in Centerton on Gamble Road, its capacity is estimated to be about 2,250 students.

“I personally have several builders that were waiting to see if the vote got passed, they have been looking for lots in Benton County but they are now focused on the Centerton and surrounding areas,” said Clayton Bradford, Property Manager at Bridges Realty.

Rental properties have been hot for two years with no current vacancies, said Bradford.

He said home sales are through the roof and believes those who foreclosed on homes years ago are back in the housing market.

“After three years they’re still on your record but you can purchase a home again, so 2013 we saw those people that were affected in 2008 and 2009, they can start buying again,” said Bradford.

Edwards said with growth, comes more need.

“We’ve been actually gradually adding to our Fire Department and our police department, we currently have a volunteer fire department but we've been adding to our staff during the day,” said Edwards.

The Bentonville Fire Department plans to build a station on Southwest I street that will serve parts of Centerton.

http://5newsonline.com/2013/09/24/northwest-arkansas-community-experiencing-rapid-growth/

Edited by KJW

"For sale" signs are now up and down land along the Arkansas 72 corridor from Herbaugh Rd. in north Centerton (where the newly-approved-by-voters second Bentonville district high school will be built with classes projected to start in Fall 2016) to just above the future I-49 east-side interchange in the community formerly known as "Hiwasse", itself in the Gravette School District.  There's where one of your highest-growth NWA corridors for this decade is projected to be...time will tell.

It was reported in the NWA Biz Journal today that Walmart paid about $4.5 Million for about 2 acres (Vacant Commercial Lot) in Bentonville on the northwest corner of the Walton Blvd & Hwy 102 Intersection.  Wow.  That's one of the priciest pieces of raw land I've seen sold in NWA in about 6 years.  Are we heading into, dare I say, BUBBLE TERRITORY?!?

It was reported in the NWA Biz Journal today that Walmart paid about $4.5 Million for about 2 acres (Vacant Commercial Lot) in Bentonville on the northwest corner of the Walton Blvd & Hwy 102 Intersection.  Wow.  That's one of the priciest pieces of raw land I've seen sold in NWA in about 6 years.  Are we heading into, dare I say, BUBBLE TERRITORY?!?

If it was a developer, I might think there was an issue. But, look who the buyer was and where the land is located.

Edited by comreguy