Bentonville, Arkansas

Mith242

The large property recently acquired by Wal-Mart would be large enough for a true corporate campus.  Wal-Mart has to consider security.  A suburban style campus would be easier to control as far as access.  They would also have an opportunity to showcase their brand and their recent environmental focus in a modern new campus.  There are large sectors of the company that are not located primarily in NWA such as their Wal-Mart.com business.  My wishful thinking is that they would build a new, visible and modern campus for their operations on that land.  Look at the Silicon Valley companies and what they do on their campuses to cater to tech employees.  I believe Wal-Mart would need to do something campus-wise if they ever sought to move more of those operations to Northwest Arkansas.

Attracting the top talent to Bentonville should be their goal.  They succeed to a large degree, but I have to think at least some of the talent they seek is turned off by the spartan environment at the HO.  

I would love for Walmart to build a "Google-style" campus in NWA.  However, I still think the majority of the Walmart e-commerce business will still need to be in Silicon Valley due to recruiting top tech entrepreneurs.  If NWA continues to attract top level businesses and talent, that could change.  But right now, we are the center of retailing.  However, N. California is top for the tech world.  We'll see what happens.  I hope my friends at Walmart will indeed get a better place to work.

• Like 1

I've heard that it will just be a supercenter.  It's obviously a huge tract, but most of the tract is too hilly and steep to develop.  That's reflected in the sale price as well...  They paid about $4 million for the 127 acres, which is about a million bucks less than what they paid for the 30 acres they bought for the supercenter on Elm Springs Rd in Springdale.  Just passing along what I've heard...

• Like 1

I've heard that it will just be a supercenter. It's obviously a huge tract, but most of the tract is too hilly and steep to develop. That's reflected in the sale price as well... They paid about $4 million for the 127 acres, which is about a million bucks less than what they paid for the 30 acres they bought for the supercenter on Elm Springs Rd in Springdale. Just passing along what I've heard...

I drink the walmart cool aid as much as the next employee. But too many walmarts around here.

I've heard that it will just be a supercenter.  It's obviously a huge tract, but most of the tract is too hilly and steep to develop.  That's reflected in the sale price as well...  They paid about $4 million for the 127 acres, which is about a million bucks less than what they paid for the 30 acres they bought for the supercenter on Elm Springs Rd in Springdale.  Just passing along what I've heard...

Not doubting you, even though it's strange that so much land was acquired (that being said, it may have been all or nothing on that price, for land which will be at a critical junction point in the future interstate).

That being said, I remember being told by a man in Walmart's International Division who I trusted (and still very much respect) back around 2008 or 2009 that Walmart would probably never go into Africa, either.

Edited by KJW

The large property recently acquired by Wal-Mart would be large enough for a true corporate campus.  Wal-Mart has to consider security.  A suburban style campus would be easier to control as far as access.  They would also have an opportunity to showcase their brand and their recent environmental focus in a modern new campus.  There are large sectors of the company that are not located primarily in NWA such as their Wal-Mart.com business.  My wishful thinking is that they would build a new, visible and modern campus for their operations on that land.  Look at the Silicon Valley companies and what they do on their campuses to cater to tech employees.  I believe Wal-Mart would need to do something campus-wise if they ever sought to move more of those operations to Northwest Arkansas.

Attracting the top talent to Bentonville should be their goal.  They succeed to a large degree, but I have to think at least some of the talent they seek is turned off by the spartan environment at the HO.  

I should have multi-quoted this on the same thread in answering Bubba.

I remember there were rumors that WM had wanted to build a nicer hq in land around the Walmart NHM area across from NWACC, but the design called for a multi-story building.  9/11 happened, and people were worried this building would be a target for the company that next year would move into the Fortune 1 spot.

My thought is, seeing the people around Bentonville now, seeing all these trendy shops and restaurants, and remembering the article (I think linked here) that had the quote "you can't swing a baseball bat without hitting a Harvard MBA around here nowadays" (hope there wasn't a double entendre in that) and especially knowing that humbler-and-from-a-different-era-and-worldview Sam's been gone for more than two decades now :hi: (that icon should put its hat over its heart, er, under its chin slowly) my gut feeling is that there are a lot of executives who around here who feel they're entitled to something other than a 70s-era, low-rise building that not long ago had a problem with asbestos.

Not saying it's right, but "Bennie" is really revamping its image as a town, and not only that, but Sam's Club already DOES have a nice, big, new building that's not far from the interstate (and WM doesn't).  Don't know...just a gut feeling on human nature that this won't be the last HQ building WM has in this town even if it is the next-to-last one.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Sams didn't originally build their HQ. I bet they got it for a steal.

I  think that WM will continue to hold to a humble home office. There could certainly  be an opportunity for an impressive tech or executive campus. Logistically, WM is too heavily invested in their current sprawl locations to fully relocate.

Also keep in mind that Walmart owns other large tracts in central Bentonville.  e.g. The old county fairgrounds (about 10 acres) and about 40 acres just south of the Bentonville Supercenter.  And the city is planning to widen 8th street all the way from the current HQ all the way to I-540.  To pull out of their current HQ location would put the city in a lurch on the project.  I guess we'll see what happens.  It's all speculation at this point.  

BTW, if I were a betting man I'd put money on the old county fairgrounds becoming the new Walton Performing Arts Center in about 5 years.  Once again, pure speculation on my part.

I believe I read somewhere that the Walton Arts Center is going on Central in that big field in front of Walton Jr High. They have already cleared the hundreds of Bradford Pear trees that were there. As much as I would LOVE a spiffy new HQ by the Bentonville Lowe's (it would cut hubby's commute time drastically), I can't imagine that they would be planning that since they are currently doing extensive remodels of some offices.

I believe I read somewhere that the Walton Arts Center is going on Central in that big field in front of Walton Jr High. They have already cleared the hundreds of Bradford Pear trees that were there. As much as I would LOVE a spiffy new HQ by the Bentonville Lowe's (it would cut hubby's commute time drastically), I can't imagine that they would be planning that since they are currently doing extensive remodels of some offices.

Walmart isn't moving their headquarters or building new headquarters.

The WAC will likely be located on the old fairgrounds, not on Central.

Walmart isn't moving their headquarters or building new headquarters.

The WAC will likely be located on the old fairgrounds, not on Central.

Cool enough.

If the land is for a future supercenter at the future I-49 interchange, they must be expecting some big things west along the I-49 BV corridor as well.  (Supposedly, WM has other land at Centerton for a future SC there which would serve much of the area around the future new high school that's being built up.)    I know Fayetteville, Rogers and soon Springdale will have 2 scs but there are multiple communities being served (i.e. Lowell and Cave Springs for Pleasant Crossing; Elm Springs and Tontitown for the new Springdale sc; the cities immediately south and west of Fay for the south side supercenter there).  That interchange still seems an odd place to build a supercenter given BV is served by the Jane SC and the "Store 100" supercenter is not that far down the street, serving old-limit Bentonville.

Indeed, Sam's Club did get a steal on that big building that was pretty much vacant.  And as people say WM likes to reuse their buildings.  And ISD has just added a new floor so they're not going anywhere.

I'm still ready to expect anything...again, a different culture is coming here now (wouldn't have ever thought Sam's Club would have gone in that building they're in no matter how good of a deal came up, either, remembering their old facility...and again, they're close to the Interstate and in nice digs now...WM is not).  The fact that Crossland(?) or whomever is building that nice office north of the old Sam's tells us there will be a presence at the old HQ of some sort for awhile.

Walmart wasn't going to go into Africa, either.  If a new HQ building of any significance ever comes up, I expect that secret to be guarded like we used to guard our nuclear ones at the federal level until the last minute, just like the Sam's Club move was.

Edited by KJW

A construction sign has come up for the new fountain plaza strip, so I assume they are gonna be started on that rather soon.  Not too exciting as it's doubtful that anything exciting will go in it.  

I always find it exciting that there is enough activity in the market to justify new development. We gained Azul Tequila and Tazikis with the last building. Both are solid additions to Bentonville.

I encourage anyone's attempt at a new eatery. That said, I was not impressed with either Azul or  Tazikis.

Maybe I ordered the wrong things as Azul, but the food was no different than Acambaros, other than hefty price.

Tazikis is not traditional Greek. I would call it tastes like Greek at best, and pretty fresh. Acropolis beats Tazikis hands down and is more than worth a little extra drive for me.

I encourage anyone's attempt at a new eatery. That said, I was not impressed with either Azul or  Tazikis.

Maybe I ordered the wrong things as Azul, but the food was no different than Acambaros, other than hefty price.

Tazikis is not traditional Greek. I would call it tastes like Greek at best, and pretty fresh. Acropolis beats Tazikis hands down and is more than worth a little extra drive for me.

Tazikis isn't supposed to be traditional greek. Heck, they even spell Tazikis (tzatziki)  incorrectly. It is simply a take on Greek cooking concepts and flavors. Given the amount of food they sell, I'd say they are doing ok.

Azul isn't great, but it is another option expanding our trade area.

My point wasn't to start a restaurant review forum, but to show that new growth is almost always something to be happy about as opposed to the OP's "meh" attitude towards the development.

Comreguy, you are correct, I just don't view those as "solid additions". I would rather see multi-story, mixed use developments along Walton Blvd, with better planned access than tightly parked strip centers. 

To each their own. I'm glad to see longtime vacant land fill in with new development.

Comreguy, you are correct, I just don't view those as "solid additions". I would rather see multi-story, mixed use developments along Walton Blvd, with better planned access than tightly parked strip centers. 

That's all South Walton is.  For the most part, it's just a bunch of strip centers.  Don't get me wrong, development is great, but there's only so much you can do with a strip center.

• Like 1

I also think that strip centers add too much traffic, as entering traffic queue many times hold traffic up in the road. Walton will be a nightmare as more infill occurs without better planned developments.

That said, I do think Walton has a nice curb appeal along its East West route, but then under the highway Rogers looses lots of such appeal on Walnut.

• Like 1

I also think that strip centers add too much traffic, as entering traffic queue many times hold traffic up in the road. Walton will be a nightmare as more infill occurs without better planned developments.

That said, I do think Walton has a nice curb appeal along its East West route, but then under the highway Rogers looses lots of such appeal on Walnut.

There is a burger/custard joint going in the old KFC. Remodeled the whole building it seems.