Worst on/off Ramps

wolverine

Here is the link to the GA 400 SB to 285 EB

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/addressim...anta%2c+Georgia

Don't froget about the other two bad spots in the Atlanta Area. Getting on 285 southbond form Windy Hill Rd. You drive a ways then over a hill and have to stop and look back at trucks coming up a hill from around a corner. Thank God I'm married now cause she use to live there. Also there is always a traffic jam on I-20 Eastbond exiting 285 Northbond, It makes a complete downward circle. Makes no sense.

In Houston, there is no screwed up exiting sense they fixed the Pierce elevted portion of I-45, exiting unto both 59 and the South Freeway at the same time. i use to hate that back when I worked for Enron.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't froget about the other two bad spots in the Atlanta Area. Getting on 285 southbond form Windy Hill Rd. You drive a ways then over a hill and have to stop and look back at trucks coming up a hill from around a corner. Thank God I'm married now cause she use to live there. Also there is always a traffic jam on I-20 Eastbond exiting 285 Northbond, It makes a complete downward circle. Makes no sense.

In Houston, there is no screwed up exiting sense they fixed the Pierce elevted portion of I-45, exiting unto both 59 and the South Freeway at the same time. i use to hate that back when I worked for Enron.

I don't know, H-town rep, the merge from 59S to 45N is pretty scary o me. There is almost no merge lane.

The rest of Houston is a breeze to navigate, at least as far as the freeways go.

QUOTE (H-townrep @ Jul 30 2004, 02:40 PM)QUOTE (donaltopablo @ Jul 18 2004, 04:27 PM)

Here is the link to the GA 400 SB to 285 EB

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/addressim...anta%2c+Georgia

I don't know, H-town rep, the merge from 59S to 45N is pretty scary o me. There is almost no merge lane.

The rest of Houston is a breeze to navigate, at least as far as the freeways go.

Not if you have to get on another freeway after crossing three lanes of traffic at least. In Houston, that's the case if you go I-10 West, then have to get on I-610 West Loop, cross three lanes to get on 290 -- and you have to do all of this within a mile. Same goes for when 290 East terminates into 610, except you only have two lanes to get to I-10 East.

In Atlanta, same story: The "Downtown Connector", a.k.a. I-75/85 is between twelve and 16 lanes. If you are on I-75N, you'll have to cross 4 lanes to continue on 75 past the split. I-85 North dips into 75 on the right, but you'll have to cross 4 lanes to your left to stay on I-85. This lane switching is dangerous because anxious drivers have to slip across these lanes at the last minute.

Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed

How do I get around this?

Sometimes you can drill down to the image source and get to the actual URL.

Alternately, you can post a link to the image without the %7Boption%7D tags.

• 2 weeks later...

In Atlanta, same story: The "Downtown Connector", a.k.a. I-75/85 is between twelve and 16 lanes. If you are on I-75N, you'll have to cross 4 lanes to continue on 75 past the split. I-85 North dips into 75 on the right, but you'll have to cross 4 lanes to your left to stay on I-85. This lane switching is dangerous because anxious drivers have to slip across these lanes at the last minute.

Fortunately, you have a good 10 miles to make your move, so it's really not that bad.

• 8 months later...

This may not qualify as the worst but try southbound I-95 approaching the I-10 interchange in Jacksonville, Florida. Here's how it works: about two miles away you had better start preparing to enter the left lane. Just under the I-10 bridge I-95 makes a wickedly sharp turn to the left before climbing to cross the St. Johns river.

This may not qualify as the worst but try southbound I-95 approaching the I-10 interchange in Jacksonville, Florida.  Here's how it works:  about two miles away you had better start preparing to enter the left lane.  Just under the I-10 bridge I-95 makes a wickedly sharp turn to the left before climbing to cross the St. Johns river.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that this is one of the worst. And just think, a few years ago, it was even worse. I-95 used to narrow to a single lane, right in the middle of a major city at this intersection. At least there's 2 lanes now that continue on as I-95. Although its better now, this intersection still is terrible for those travelling southbound in I-95.

The other part that I think sucks, is for people on northbound 95. The two congested 95 lanes join the free-flowing lanes exiting off of I-10. It's already difficult to merge, but then the right lane of I-95 quickly becomes an exit only. If that's not enough, the street that it exits on is possibly the smallest, most dangerous off ramp I've ever seen. The 20 mph posted speed limit on the ramp even seems excessive to me. For a road that services sooo many clueless tourists, I think there should be some serious improvements.

^That interchange is now under construction, so this shouldn't be a problem in a couple of years.

57641_400.jpg

I'd like to nominate, Tampa's Veterans Expressway/Courtney Campbell interchange was one of the most dangerous in the country. There are 4 northbound lanes on the Veterans, approaching the interchange. The two left lanes (the fast lanes) come to a complete stop by the way of a full blown traffic signal, while the right lanes curve north.

What makes this complicated is the on ramp from the airport interchange (a couple of hundred feet south) merges with traffic on the right, so several cars attempt to cross five lanes of traffic to get on Courtney Campbell, while cars in the fast lanes attempt to merge right to avoid the stoplight.

BTW, this entire section of highway is also on a sharp curve.

I'll add a few from my area (Seattle):

(1) Columbia St. On-ramp to Alaskan Way Viaduct. The ramp starts out straight, then curves slightly to the right, then makes a sharp turn to the left. Not only that, but the ramp merges with the left (fast) lane on the viaduct :o . Besides having to merge into the fast lane, another problem is that the exit to 1'st Ave exits from the left lane (which can be a problem whenever the Seahawks or Mariners are in town because the traffic exiting onto 1'st often backs up beyond the on-ramp).

(2) Various on-off ramps from I-5 in downtown Seattle. Several ramps to/from Northbound I-5 connect to the left lane. If that wasn't bad enough, the entrance from Union St. merges onto I-5 just before the Mercer St exit (both from the left lane). Even worse, the number of through lanes on I-5 decreases through downtown Seattle :o:huh::angry: !!! Whoever the bloody blue hell designed this freeway clearly failed Freeway Design 101.

(3) 4'th Ave on-ramp onto the West Seattle bridge (closed since 1993). The problem with the ramp was that you had to merge the instant you got to the top of the ramp. In 1993, someone driving westbound was forced into the eastbound lanes (there was no barrier at that time) by a truck merging from the ramp and crashed head-on with another vehicle (the driver of the car forced into oncoming traffic was killed). As a result, the ramp was closed.

(4) I-405/SR 167 interchange in Renton: 2 busy freeways + cloverleaf interchange = trouble. A flyover ramp from SB 405 to the SB 167 ramp was built few years ago.

(5) I-405/SR 520 interchange in Bellevue: Before the itnerchange was modified in the early 90's, the ramp from NB 405 to EB 520 had 2 trouble spots. At one point, there was a spot where traffic coming from SB 405 merged onto the ramp. At the end of the ramp, traffic had to deal with cars exiting 520 onto 405.

-- LB

The I-20 / I-59 - I-65 Interchange in Birmingham, AL:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.520210,-...18539&t=k&hl=en

This interchange (locally known as Malfunction Junction) is just northwest of downtown. On both the east-west and north-south roads, opposing traffic lanes cross over each other (you end up driving on the left side of the median), so half of the ramps are left-handed ramps. Both the eastbound and southbound highways are less than a mile away from the main exits to the north half of downtown. Two of the main bridges were recently replaced due to the fact that they burned down when tanker trucks ran into them. They have recently completed a lot of work in this area, however it is still fairly congested.

The I-20 / I-59 Split in Birmingham, AL

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.547161,-...18539&t=k&hl=en

The ramp from I-20 westbound to I-20 / I-59 west/south is also called Dead Man's curve because of the truck accidents that have happened on it. (I find it ironic that it is right next to a cemetary...) There are warning lights, flashers, signs and speedbumps all throughout that ramp. It is also right on top of one of the main east/west roads in that area (US 11 / 1st Ave. N).

I-4 - I-275 Interchange in Tampa, FL

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.962136,-...18539&t=k&hl=en

This interchange (also locally known as Malfunction Junction) is just northeast of downtown. Northbound I-275 merges 3 lanes of traffic with two more lanes from downtown onramps (which by themselves are in a weird criss-cross configuration) and splits them between northbound I-275 and eastbound I-4. (I-4 is a massive traffic jam for about 10 hours a day, and usually has one lane of northbound traffic backed up for about 2 miles before the interchange. Southbound traffic takes the 2 lanes of eastbound traffic from I-4, crams them into one lane, and takes the 2 lanes of southbound traffic from I-275 and merges them all into 3 lanes of traffic less than a mile away from one of the main exits into downtown Tampa. (I-275 traffic headed downtown must merge through the traffic from I-4 to exit.) The other exit into downtown is actually part of the interchange as well, and using that exit was just as dangerous from either direction. Fortunately they are in the process of rebuilding the entire interchange (just about halfway finished), so this will be all fixed in a couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

you can add US23 at I-96 just outside Brighton Mi to that list, I don't know what it is about some drivers, generally in either buicks, or Minivans. But they think they can merge into suicide lanes going about 45. LEARN TO FRICKEN FREEWAY DRIVE FOLKS!

• 3 months later...

The I-59/I-10 merge west of New Orleans is absolutely horrible.

I-10 and I-59 are both 3 lanes at that point, and they merge into each other and turn into one lane, and this is on a bridge over swamp. There are countless accidents and deaths there every year, and nothing has been done to change it. Recently however, there has been talk of putting in a new ramp, which is greatly needed.

HARTFORD, CT

The CT River runs right thriugh central CT meaning that the river seperates Hartford and East Hartford and all of the eastern suburbs of Hartford. With this in mind there are only so many ways to cross the river unless you are going to swim. In downtown Hartford there is the Bulkley Bridge which is part of I-84 and the Founders Bridge which you can access directly from downtown and is not part of an intertstate.

Aeriel of I-84/I-91 interchange in downtown Hartford

s1a.jpg

I-84 and I-91 interect in downtown Hartford meaning that this and the fact that many people need to cross the river to get home can be a bad mess.

I-91N intersecting with I-84: This is not the worst interchange can be a pain as at the interchnge there is traffic from Rt.5/15 entering I-91 using two lanes then one line to go to I-84West or Trumbull Street (downtown) and then two lanes to continue on I-91N. With only 1 lane to get to 84 a line usually forms causing cutters which turns the area into congestion

Overview of I-91N with I-84 at the top of the picture foing from left to right

photo-91n-at84.jpg

I-91S intersecting with I-84W and I-84E: Worse then the northbound interchange. There is one lane exit only lane on the right for I-84W which is right next to another exity only lane for State Street (downtown) then there are two lanes to continue on I-91S and a sharp curved exit to enter the Bulkley Bridge/I-84E to get to I-84E or Rt. 2

I-84W intersecting with I-91S and I-91N: The interchange itself is not that bad but the traffic in that area is horrendous. Before the 91 interchange there are two exit only lanes to exit to downtown Hartford, at this same exit there is an entrance ramp which means people exiting I-84 have to cross the people entering 84. To add to this the lane the people have to enter to stay on 84 is the lane used to exit to 91 which means there is a huge line of traffic and there are usually people cutting which means the line is usually very slow moving. After this the 91 lane splits for 91N and 91S so people have to move over if they want to get to 91N which is another exit/entrance ramp. The two left lanes of the highway are to continue on I-84E to cross the Bulkley Bridge which means traffic because there are not enough lanes. On the bridge there is then people entering the highway from downtown, the exit to East Hartford, exit to Rt. 2 and the option to continue on 84. NIGHTMARE again

I-84 in downtown going east

IMG_0097.jpg

New Haven

Interchange of 91/95 causes nightmares as there are sharp turns, not enough lanes and lots of traffic.

Current interchange of 91/95

ph-95-34-old.jpg

Proposed plan to reconfigure interchange

ph-95-34-new.jpg

Basically, what you have to do if you want to head eastbound from this interchange is MAKE A DOUBLE-LANE CHANGE FROM A DEAD STOP ACROSS TRAFFIC MOVING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. Whoever designed this interchange ought to have his civil engineering degree revoked. :angry:

A friend of mine said he met that man a few years ago while working at a local nursing home... he had told my friend that his biggest dissapointment in life is that he designed the parkway to carry just a fraction of the traffic it does now and at a lower speed, but that the congestation has never been addressed in any meaningfull way by subsequent planners. I believe he said he wished he had never designed it. :blink:

Archived