Downtown Amphitheater

RALNATIVE

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole thing is a lot bigger than I was envisioning. I was thinking removable stage and a grassy hill. Anyway, Bud Light is the shi%%ist beer in existence. Nobody would drink it without all the advertising. Having said that, I guess they need to advertise more in Raleigh given that places like Times and Foundation don't even serve it. Beer and concerts go together...I don't really care what they name it. I assume the amphitheater will have a beer deal like downtown Live or something...?

I agree with RalNative. Unfortunately, state rules (and some Federal for that matter) require open bidding processes for things involving government bodies, so there is no way to include only local companies without running afoul with the law.

I'm usually of the mindset that venues such as this should offer up naming rights to local organizations first and foremost, but that's just me.

I see where you're coming from, however realistically a local organization like say Big Boss does not have the same kind of monetary flex cash to sponsor something like this that Harris / Bud Light does. Money talks and the city wants to recoup costs where it can.

I'm usually of the mindset that venues such as this should offer up naming rights to local organizations first and foremost, but that's just me.

Thats a really good point I had not thought of. Really would promote the whole downtown all at once that way. Maybe Red Hat, Lulu or some other tech company. I am still of the mind that Raleigh needs to wrap itself in its technology and since entertainment and such seems to be what downtown is now, go ahead and weld the two together....

Maybe Red Hat, Lulu or some other tech company. I am still of the mind that Raleigh needs to wrap itself in its technology and since entertainment and such seems to be what downtown is now, go ahead and weld the two together....

That's what i'm thinking. A company like Red Hat, SAS, or even Lenovo would be great sponsors for this venue. Having their name associated with it would not only boost their image and brand, but also help the city's corporate sponsorship image.

I often feel that corporate sponsorships in this area is not what it should or could be...

I really don't mind personally however I could imagine Soccer Mom and Dad from North Raleigh hearing about the "Bud Light Amphitheater" and thinking "oh that sounds classy" and not wanting to bring their kids to events there. I personally think the most important thing is the place itself, not the name.

That's what i'm thinking. A company like Red Hat, SAS, or even Lenovo would be great sponsors for this venue. Having their name associated with it would not only boost their image and brand, but also help the city's corporate sponsorship image.

I often feel that corporate sponsorships in this area is not what it should or could be...

Cree...that's who I couldn't remember for some reason. The amphitheater is right under their shimmer wall. In my perfect world, they would have their name on it...

Speaking of downtown amphitheaters, have you heard of NC Music Factory in Charlotte? Now this is something I'd like to see in Raleigh. Love all the restaurants and clubs that offer music. Love the photography on the NCMF site.

http://ncmusicfactory.com/tour/

There's also The EpiCentre in Charlotte that has several nice restaurants, bowling and movie theatre. Less entertainment than NCMF. Shopping and chain restaurants.

http://epicentrenc.com

http://www.epicentretheaters.com

http://www.mezcharlotte.com

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone... I know I haven't posted here in like a million years (formerly "norffcarolina"), but I figured I'd throw my $0.02 into the pot. I went to the Paramore concert at the new amphitheater and I was really impressed with the whole facility. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be, and the show was sold out so it was really crowded. The lighting, sound, and special effects were absolutely top notch amphitheater quality, and the location on the west side of the convention center makes for a beautiful view of the wall and part of the skyline (which isn't much to begin with, but it's trying). I'm not sure if the name of the amphitheater got sorted out finally... when I got my ticket, the venue was listed as "Raleigh Amphitheater and Festival Site", or something like that.

Hi everyone... I know I haven't posted here in like a million years (formerly "norffcarolina"), but I figured I'd throw my $0.02 into the pot. I went to the Paramore concert at the new amphitheater and I was really impressed with the whole facility. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be, and the show was sold out so it was really crowded. The lighting, sound, and special effects were absolutely top notch amphitheater quality, and the location on the west side of the convention center makes for a beautiful view of the wall and part of the skyline (which isn't much to begin with, but it's trying). I'm not sure if the name of the amphitheater got sorted out finally... when I got my ticket, the venue was listed as "Raleigh Amphitheater and Festival Site", or something like that.

does anyone happen to have photos of the inside of the facility?

does anyone happen to have photos of the inside of the facility?

These are terrible mobile phone camera pictures that I captured spur of the moment... First one is from Paramore, the next few are from Cypress Hill last week:

IMG_20100723_213653.jpg

IMG_20100728_203623.jpg

From far corner of lawn with zoom

IMG_20100728_200410.jpg

No zoom... far corner of lawn. Stage to the left, parking structure to the right

IMG_20100728_221747.jpg

These are terrible mobile phone camera pictures that I captured spur of the moment... First one is from Paramore, the next few are from Cypress Hill last week:

From far corner of lawn with zoom

IMG_20100728_200410.jpg

No zoom... far corner of lawn. Stage to the left, parking structure to the right

IMG_20100728_221747.jpg

Thanks. Appears to be a great urban venue. I really like the view of the shimmer wall from inside. Makes for a nice view during evening concerts.

I was at the Chelsea Handler / Heather MacDonald stand-up show July 30. I really like the new amphitheater. Good lawn seats and such.

Though I did find it funny they only have beer and wine even though the main sponsor of the tour was a vodka company. :P

Anyway, my verdict is that this place is probably best for amplified music. Stand-up comedy...or perhaps anything else with speaking, like a play...is not as good for this spot. The traffic noise on Dawson & McDowell can occasionally be distracting (especially when Harley Davidsons or a big truck go by)...and the Amtrak train horns are so loud they actually interupted both comediennes twice each.

Though props to Chelsea for tuning them into jokes: "Where am I, in a #&@% thoroughfare?!?" Audience: "Um, yep!" :rofl:

These things probably are much less noticed during a loud rock concert! :good:

Just my two cents.

...and the Amtrak train horns are so loud they actually interupted both comediennes twice each.

I can see how the trains would be an issue for something like that. However during a concert it's awesome. In fact, as Paramore was wrapping up their set, a train went through and it added to the whole experience, unexpectedly.

Just more examples of how automobiles, for all their necessity in this world...well...manage to make things suck when they are ripping through an area....

The amphitheater proponents most likely did not consider this reality in their zest...or just discounted it as problematic.

Just more examples of how automobiles, for all their necessity in this world...well...manage to make things suck when they are ripping through an area....

The amphitheater proponents most likely did not consider this reality in their zest...or just discounted it as problematic.

An amphitheater with some street noise is a better alternative than a big empty lot waiting for the convention center expansion. Especially since empty lots don't generate revenue or give people another excuse to go downtown to spend money.

Archived