MADISON

NorthStar

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once considered moving to Madison... It's a great city. The capitol building is just a few inches shorter than the US capitol. Now compare that to my capitol, the smallest in the nation. What makes it special, though? A gold dome... I only know of one other that has a gold dome and that is New Hampshire. They really are the twin states.

I've lived in or near Madison my entire life (almost 30 years). I can testify that Madison is indeed a great city, mostly in part to its multitude of eccentricities. I can also answer any questions you might have.

Thanks for the welcoming.

I've never been to Charleston, or read, or heard much about it, so I can't really comment. I have also heard Madison compared to Boulder, Berkely and a few others I can't think of at the moment. I can guarantee however that despite it's common appearance (except for that it sits on an Isthmus - not common), it's progressive, liberal and arts cultures make it a very unique city, which may or may not set it apart from Charleston... I'm not sure.

This was taken in the late winter / early spring of 2003 (it is missing a small handful of new structures)...

skyline.jpg

Completed or partially completed...

- 14-story Marina Place Condominiums by architect Kenton Peters is getting underway.

- The new 10-story Dane County Courthouse is mostly completed.

- The mixed-use 11-story 100 Wisconsin Ave. is externally completed.

Construction not started, or only excavation has begun....

- 11-story Nolen Shore Condomiums.

- 14-story and 10-story mixed use structures as part of the new Meriter development.

skyline_projects.jpg

There are a number of other 10+ floor structures planned or started that are out of view from this pano, mostly on campus or the near west side (left of this pano).

Yes, there are height restrictions. Specifically on the isthmus, prohibiting ANY structure from being taller than the capital rotunda. There are additional height restrictions throughout the city that are too cumbersome to post (IOW, just don't block any views of the capital). The tallest building other than the capital itself, is 19-floors, and that was built before the ordinance. The tallest building since the ordinance is just 14-floors. Because of this, Madison is home to 50-60 buildings that are 10 to 19-floors tall.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived