j.midtown

New Stadium vs. the Georgia Dome  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done?

• Just keep the Dome
    • Build new open-air Stadium / tear down the Dome
    • Build new open-air Stadium / keep the Dome
    • Get rid of the Falcons

In Georgia Dome news, a new AJC article reports Falcons reps say they would prefer a new open-air stadium downtown. However, a lot of the programs/events which use the Dome due to its large, flexible, temperature-controlled space would not be possible or desirable in a regular stadium. Those additional functions may not be sufficient to cover annual operating expenses if the GWCC were to try to keep the Dome in addition to a new stadium, not to mention having three major football stadiums (Bobby Dodd) in one city would be unprecedented. This presents an interesting dilemma for everyone involved.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when there was talk about building a new stadium in Doraville on the site of the old GM plant. The only thing I ever go to the GA Dome for is the Drum Corps International (professional marching bands) Southeastern Championship. DCI seems to go for domes or retractable-roof stadiums as often as possible; though I don't know of any other major southeastern city with one of those, so they'd probably stick to Atlanta even with an open-air stadium. I think a retractable roof would be best, even though it's the most expensive option.

The Doraville City Council voted against putting a stadium in the GM redevelopment site, which was the next most likely spot in the metro for a pro stadium.

This Business Chronicle article has more details and mentions the point that the public funding component in the form of the recently-extended hotel tax is tied to siting on GWCC property. It also details the location the Falcons are interested in is the current GWCC marshalling yard on the northeast corner of Simpson and Northside, specifically so that there would be more parking (tailgating) space available (more than doubling current adjacent parking spaces).

Among the downsides is the new location would be a half-mile hike from the MARTA rail stations that now serve the Dome. It's also moving further from most of the existing downtown restaurants and businesses that might benefit from the gameday crowds.

They're basically asking for a site to encourage more traffic for games. The site does seem more conducive to traffic flow with direct access to Northside and the expanded/enhanced Allen Boulevard (which becomes Simpson after crossing Marietta) from the west and 85/75.

The ABC article also provides more detail about how an open-air stadium is preferred for soccer and could lead to an MLS expansion team and/or a World Cup site (Atlanta is already designated for the International Broadcast Center in the current US World Cup bid).

The extra expense of a retractable roof would be a hard pill to swallow in this economy and the political environment in the state.

The expense of a retractable-roof stadium is why I think the Falcons should wait until the economy recovers to consider any new stadium at all. When the economy's better, there might be more options available, and more money to spend. Until then, the Falcons should stick with the Dome.

Isn't the Georgia Dome supposed to be paid off in the next 5 to 7 years? I'm definitely of the opinion that from a sports and events standpoint, the replacement venue needs to have some kind of roof. Otherwise, like some have said you can kiss the Final Four and possibly the SEC championship goodbye. Both are great events for the city of Atlanta.

I agree. Atlanta had an open-air stadium several years ago - the Falcons should have either kept it (not really feasible due to its proximity to Turner Field and limited parking), or had the new stadium built as an open-air stadium rather than a dome. It's a little late to be complaining about not having an open-air stadium anymore. The Falcons can make do with the Georgia Dome until the money for a retractable-roof stadium is there. The final decision should be left up to the GWCC, if the stadium is built on its property. I can't think of anywhere else downtown for a stadium of any kind to be built.

• 5 months later...

It just occurred to me, what about Georgia State? If a new open-air stadium is built for the Falcons, maybe the Dome could be gradually transferred over to Georgia State, as its football team develops a larger following. Eventually it could be renovated to exhibit GSU's blue and white rather than the Falcons' red and black, and Atlanta would still have an indoor stadium for the Final Four and the SEC Championship and the other events. The only unusual thing would be that the Dome would pretty big to be a home stadium for a school the size of Georgia State, but at least it would give GSU its own stadium rather than having to share with an NFL team.

• 2 months later...

In more actual development news....

Falcons' push for open-air stadium gets lift

It appears as if the new stadium for the Falcons is gaining steam. It's quite evident that the Falcons establishment is pushing for an open air facility. A $700 million stadium seems costly but considering the cost of the new stadium in Arlington, it is a bargain. I am glad that the focus has been on a downtown facilities. I just wonder what will happen to the Dome if this is approved. Since we are just in a planning stage, it is a wait and see situation.

For more information and juicy details on preliminary stadium plans read here:

New Falcons stadium talks advances!

As far as my thoughts on an open air or closed air facility, I would much prefer a retractable top facility. My thoughts are for future chances at Super Bowl. I do understand however that having an open air facility somewhat enhances the athletic atmosphere. It shall be quite interesting to see what comes out of the negotiations.

There are some exciting changes taking place in Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead.

As far as my thoughts on an open air or closed air facility, I would much prefer a retractable top facility. My thoughts are for future chances at Super Bowl. I do understand however that having an open air facility somewhat enhances the athletic atmosphere. It shall be quite interesting to see what comes out of the negotiations.

There are some exciting changes taking place in Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead.

I support a retractable roof too. I read somewhere that it would be perfect for the South - we have great weather at the beginning of the season, but it does get pretty cold towards the end, so a retractable roof would allow us to show off the good Atlanta weather while shutting out the bad Atlanta weather. And of course, the ability to shut out the weather would be a huge plus in looking to get the Super Bowl.

EDIT: After reading the article, I noticed the guy from Syracuse saying the Georgia Dome wouldn't do so well if left without football. Simple: take the idea I posted earlier and let GSU continue to use it. Seriously, I think managing the Dome post-Falcons would be a whole let easier if GSU stepped in and offered to help, in exchange for the Dome becoming their permanent home stadium.

Archived