APPROVED: Medical office tower

There is a rendering and everything

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news13295.html

This will be on the corner of Washington and Jefferson

this is an 11 story 35 million building. I like the look of it too, and do not forget that HH is building a huge garage S of the CCMC too.

The plan calls for demolishing the vacant building located at 216-218 Washington St., and preserving the façade of the building on 224 Washington St. to use as part of the new 11-story complex. Both buildings are vacant and boarded up, serving as blight to the community, city officials said. The site plans also call for new landscaping in the area as well as a new plaza.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That actually is a pretty damn cool looking tower. Glad people haven't come out to try to kill it yet saying it will block out the sun or whatever they said about the tower plans in Plaza Mayor.

yeah, well 11 floors is not that intimidating of a number. Plaza mayor has 22 and that might freak people out. but lets not even bring that up. this is an appropriate building that even incorporates an existing facade.

the 2 buildings involved are vacant, boarded up and sketchy. I think its hard to complain about something like this.

going even further the buildings, and I am sure most of the surrounding area is owned by SINA. so, since 1 of the 3 members of SINA are going to use this space, its one of those rubber stamp deals. besides this intersectin is just totally sketchy now and bringing vibrancy here will really better tie the medical complex into Park Street, and hopefully, eventually provide a better anchor for the area.

something will get done in the plaza location. and honestly I have hopes it will be during the next mayors reign. and we will be better off because it will be the right size scope and design for the area. boom bubble projects might have sat empty. the potential at that location is really high.

Why is this being built where nice buildings that can be rehabbed are? Why not across the street in the empty lot? Will we end up with another parking lot like Broadcast House is looking more and more likely to becoming?

So, I'm currently in the parking lot of the On-the-Run across the street. At first I was skeptical, despite my usual zeal for higher buildings. However, I do think this would be a great addition, especially if they do keep the facade of the corner building. Too bad they can't permanently fix this neighborhood, it has such potential...

And the architect's drew a 12 story building, not 11. I guess either the journalists can't write correctly, or the person rending the image can't count...

That area of Hartford was very affluent at the beginning of the 20th century. Washington St was lined with mansions, unfortunately many of which have been torn down. You can still see many that have been converted to offices or beotchized with additions. One of the nicest is now a chinese take out spot next to McDonald's. If you look, you can still see the bones under the additions. I love the apartment building that sits across the street from this project. There is still a lot of nice architecture in this area although much of it has fallen into disrepair..

EDIT: haha.. I wroted "b a s t a r d i z e d " and it was automatically changed to "beotchized"

good to hear your eyes on the street opinion.

Looking at the architects site mapping etc, I wondered how much damage would be done to what is there, but with keeping the nice facade and such, it should really just be an improvement.

The thing that REALLY needs to happen is for the "on the run" you were parked in to be developed as well as the surface lot on the other corner.

these holes in the fabric are difficult to overcome.

at least the gas station serves a purpose. maybe after the new parking garage is built, the parking lot will see some development.

Well, there is a huge hospital garage right next to the On-the-Run, both of which could be demolished for more useful things that give the street a little more life. Luca is right, there are a ton of hidden gems along Washington At that are just a rehab away from being premier city buildings, but you know how that works...

Well, there is a huge hospital garage right next to the On-the-Run, both of which could be demolished for more useful things that give the street a little more life. Luca is right, there are a ton of hidden gems along Washington At that are just a rehab away from being premier city buildings, but you know how that works...

You gotta take care of Abe! We all know that!

Look at the Girl Scout building on the corner with Retreat Ave. for a great example of what can be achieved in that area.

• 5 months later...

So I just wanted to remind myself about this project.

it apparently has not moved forward yet, but The hospital did just buy an eye surgery center or something for almost 30 million.

I really look forward to this tower being build as St Francais is just about to open their new tower.

• 1 year later...

According to the HBJ

CCMC has leased an additional 8000+ SF in Founders plaza in E-Hartford for administrative offices. again this is due to a lack of space on their campus.

I wonder how long before the office tower is built? or if it will never be build due to these leases?

CCMC now has 20k SF in E- Hartford, while HH has 20K sf in the HSB building

I suppose the climate is not quite right yet, but eventually it seems likely something will happen with this approved project

According to the HBJ

CCMC has leased an additional 8000+ SF in Founders plaza in E-Hartford for administrative offices. again this is due to a lack of space on their campus.

I wonder how long before the office tower is built? or if it will never be build due to these leases?

CCMC now has 20k SF in E- Hartford, while HH has 20K sf in the HSB building

I suppose the climate is not quite right yet, but eventually it seems likely something will happen with this approved project

I know with some of the rental properties on Jefferson Street owned by Hartford Hospital that they are not renewing any leases. I hope it is a prelude to something happening with this.

Archived