Outdoor Hockey Coming To Rentschler Field!

grock

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't find a much bigger hockey fan than I, but I'm actually skeptical about this. The NHL now has an annual "Winter Classic" which is an enormous hit, but it's one game. Boston had the last Winter Classic at Fenway Park, then had a handful of college hockey games. This, however, seems to be like 30-40 games, which, to me, is a bit excessive. Outside hockey, while fun for hardcore fans, is really pushing it for most of the population (if overdone). I feel this might be too much outside....

You won't find a much bigger hockey fan than I, but I'm actually skeptical about this. The NHL now has an annual "Winter Classic" which is an enormous hit, but it's one game. Boston had the last Winter Classic at Fenway Park, then had a handful of college hockey games. This, however, seems to be like 30-40 games, which, to me, is a bit excessive. Outside hockey, while fun for hardcore fans, is really pushing it for most of the population (if overdone). I feel this might be too much outside....

I actually think it is a good idea for the novelty of it and getting more exposure for UConn and Quinipiac Hockey would be great. I do agree with Vlad that it could be overdone though. I wonder if we could get a winder classic where the Canes could come and play the bruins in Whalers throwbacks. I know it would never happen but that would be pretty cool regardless of the hard feelings we have towards them. That game would be one for the history books though.

I actually think it is a good idea for the novelty of it and getting more exposure for UConn and Quinipiac Hockey would be great. I do agree with Vlad that it could be overdone though. I wonder if we could get a winder classic where the Canes could come and play the bruins in Whalers throwbacks. I know it would never happen but that would be pretty cool regardless of the hard feelings we have towards them. That game would be one for the history books though.

more info came out now and it makes much more sense.

its a week and a half long event.

like an outdoor hockey fest.

its quite a bit of outside, but its not 30 days, its 10

so I imagine a bunch of double and tripple headers

About 20 games will played at the football field over 10 days in February. The games will run from youth to high school to college to AHL to NHL Alumni to Hollywood. The event is designed to promote the sport throughout Connecticut and is part of a comprehensive plan by Baldwin to one day bring the NHL back to the state.

"We totally believe in this market," Baldwin said Wednesday. "Perseverance."

54070595.jpg

The Bruins and Whalers alumni teams are scheduled to take the ice for the opening game the following day. A college game, with the opponents to be determined, will complete the Feb. 12 doubleheader. On Feb. 13, a date set aside for recognizing the state university, the UConn men's and women's teams will play in a doubleheader. The UConn men will play Sacred Heart and the women will play Providence. Quinnipiac has expressed interested in playing, sources said, while there have been talks with Yale, too. Both teams rose high in the national rankings for a time last season.

If matters can be worked out with the Wolf Pack, an AHL game will be played.

Among the high school and prep school games will be a matchup between South Windsor and Hamden. Avon Old Farms, New England prep school champion, also will play in a game.

A celebrity game centered on the cast of "Mystery Alaska" vs. a team of hockey legends is scheduled to be the climax on Feb 20.

The more info that comes out about this, the more I'm convinced how brilliant this idea might actually be. It may be a bit pricey, but the prices are for the whole shebang: free entry to the shindig in July, tickets to all the hockey games in Feb. Good value, actually...

The more info that comes out about this, the more I'm convinced how brilliant this idea might actually be. It may be a bit pricey, but the prices are for the whole shebang: free entry to the shindig in July, tickets to all the hockey games in Feb. Good value, actually...

Hey, think about if he could get the Wolf Pack and Sound Tigers to be the AHL teams to play, that could potentially be a very high attendance game. His best bet would be to contact the AHL and use them to help him leverage the game to happen. They could market it as the AHL equivalent of the NHL Winter Classic....

Hey, think about if he could get the Wolf Pack and Sound Tigers to be the AHL teams to play, that could potentially be a very high attendance game. His best bet would be to contact the AHL and use them to help him leverage the game to happen. They could market it as the AHL equivalent of the NHL Winter Classic....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Patriots/Giants at Rentschler would never happen. Too small of a stadium. Bruins-Rangers could happen the XL Center but only if things between Baldwin and the Wolf Pack were cleared up. Sounds like some tension between the two (not sureprisingly).

Archived