Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beerbeer

Did the soccer game have any affect on the city?

9 posts in this topic

more on this later, but absolutely!

I was very involved in all the festivities around the match. as a member of American Outlaws Hartford Chapter, I made a point to be available to anyone here for the game as kind of an ambasador if you will.

literally every person I interacted with and there were hundreds really liked the town and had positive things to say.

The economic impact was also pretty major. the American Outlaws pub crawl Monday night pumped a few thousand bucks into the bars, not to mention all the drinks all day Tuesday untill we left to the tailgate at 4. also hundreds even thousands of meals bought on all of the days and nights that are typically dead downtown.

most people stayed 3 nights from what I heard, and quite a few flew in. there was a group of 8 from just outside LA. so, all the hotels did well and Bradley got a boost.

not to mention out little city got a lot of press last night and will continue to for quite a long time in soccer circles.

if you thought the Rent looked good on TV you should try peeping out from under that giant American flag with a "full" stadium of flag waving Americans. it looked fabulous!!

And yet, those that are against public funds going to build arenas/stadiums keep repeating the mantra: "Arenas don't really help the economics of the city", to which I always cried "BS"!!!! The loss of the Whalers was enormous for the businesses in downtown, just ask them how their business differed after the Wolf Pack came in, then 5 years after that, then again now. I imagine the graph on a steep downward slope. You can't hope to compare the amount of people at a Whalers game to the paltry amounts that the Wolf Pack draw. Even though this soccer match was in East Hartford, I'd imagine that downtown was pretty lively before, during, and after.

The game looked great on TV and my brother who was there said the crowd was electric and everyone had a great time. It was a huge win for the city. I've always felt that building the Rent was hands down one of the best things that has ever been done around here. Imagine if that was at Adriaen's landing though. That would be unbelievable to have these types of events actually happening Downtown. Hopefully development of the rest of the Rentschler site picks up and Silver Lane and Downtown East Hartford can start to feel some additional economic benefit for hosting the stadium in town. I think it demonstrates how valuable having quality arenas and stadiums is for a city though. We need a new arena now. There is no reason to wait for the economy to rebound completely because construction prices will actually be higher if we do. Sports can really help Hartford and we need to maximize the possibilities.

more on this later, but absolutely!

I was very involved in all the festivities around the match. as a member of American Outlaws Hartford Chapter, I made a point to be available to anyone here for the game as kind of an ambasador if you will.

literally every person I interacted with and there were hundreds really liked the town and had positive things to say.

The economic impact was also pretty major. the American Outlaws pub crawl Monday night pumped a few thousand bucks into the bars, not to mention all the drinks all day Tuesday untill we left to the tailgate at 4. also hundreds even thousands of meals bought on all of the days and nights that are typically dead downtown.

most people stayed 3 nights from what I heard, and quite a few flew in. there was a group of 8 from just outside LA. so, all the hotels did well and Bradley got a boost.

not to mention out little city got a lot of press last night and will continue to for quite a long time in soccer circles.

if you thought the Rent looked good on TV you should try peeping out from under that giant American flag with a "full" stadium of flag waving Americans. it looked fabulous!!

Well, what exactly will feel the effects around the stadium, Augie and Ray's? Kahoots? I'd imagine Kahoots would be busier, except for the new laws which make a visit there truly pointless...

like it or not The Rest is a suburban stadium.

for that sole reason there is a diminished economic impact on the area.

think about foxborough only now with Kraft building a shopping center in the parking lot is there anything soaking up the available foot traffic.

East hartford is no different, and maybe in 5 years there will be some kind of development near by to soak up the visiting fands and their money.

Downtown Stadiums do a much better job putting people next to businesses even if for just a few nights a year.

I for one am glad the stadium is at least close enough to bring people downtown.

The city needs to embrace events like this.

For example, if the city were to say, close pratt street, and the Main/Asylum street surface lot, bring in a few bands, and lots of beer tents, the downtown area could be absolutely rockin and businesses would be thrilled.

the key thing though is transportation. we would also need several busses for ferrying people to the stadium and downtown before and after the game. (or light rail)

I know that literally HUNDREDS of people did not come downtown before the game because Vaughns did not close Pratt and provide busses this time.

If For every Uconn game and every concert and every soccer match etc... the city did as I suggest above, we would end up with some serious benefits from events at the Rent.

like it or not The Rest is a suburban stadium.

for that sole reason there is a diminished economic impact on the area.

think about foxborough only now with Kraft building a shopping center in the parking lot is there anything soaking up the available foot traffic.

East hartford is no different, and maybe in 5 years there will be some kind of development near by to soak up the visiting fands and their money.

Downtown Stadiums do a much better job putting people next to businesses even if for just a few nights a year.

I for one am glad the stadium is at least close enough to bring people downtown.

The city needs to embrace events like this.

For example, if the city were to say, close pratt street, and the Main/Asylum street surface lot, bring in a few bands, and lots of beer tents, the downtown area could be absolutely rockin and businesses would be thrilled.

the key thing though is transportation. we would also need several busses for ferrying people to the stadium and downtown before and after the game. (or light rail)

I know that literally HUNDREDS of people did not come downtown before the game because Vaughns did not close Pratt and provide busses this time.

If For every Uconn game and every concert and every soccer match etc... the city did as I suggest above, we would end up with some serious benefits from events at the Rent.

Agreed. I am glad the stadium isnt downtown...traffic would be that much worse.