Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobliocatt

JEDC: downtown tops for incentives

JEDC: downtown tops for incentives

by Bradley Parsons

Staff Writer

When the JEDC resumes business Aug. 1, its new focus on directing incentives to areas most in need will hold both good news and bad news for downtown.

The good news is downtown ranks as the City

Hi- first time joining the discussions although I've been checking out the site for a while.

The way this article was written disturbs me. But hey, it's the DR...

Pertinent to the article would have been the boundaries that the JEDC used in this research (referred to as the Downtown Planning Zone), as they are MUCH larger than the actual boundaries of Downtown. The area that has "the highest unemployment and crime rate and the lowest average income and real estate prices of seven geographical regions" is Martin Luther King Blvd to the North, the river to the South, I-95 to the West and the river to the East.

The good news (and factually accurate information) is that Downtown has the second lowest crime rate in Duval County according to the JSO. And anyone looking for property down here knows that Downtown certainly doesn't have the lowest real estate prices.

I've got a call into them now, so hopefully we'll see a mention of the boundaries in the gossip column tomorrow.

--

downtowngal aka lyn

Good work. I always say if you want to know whats going on in town, read the corrections in the Daily record and letters to the editor of folio.

Stay away from the FTU editor :blink:

Welcome to the forum Downtowngal!

I hated to see this article as well, as it gives ammunition to the anti-downtown crowd. As you articulated, you can say ANYTHING you want, positive or negative, with statistics.

From the City Notes section of today's Daily Record...

Downtown Vision, Inc. wanted to clarify that the crime and real estate statistics cited Thursday in our story about the JEDC

Sorry, I have been out of town for about a week. Welcome to the forum downtowngal and Jacksonville people are increasing here at UP. We can make a statement to the others!

Welcome downtowngal! Nice to have another member here! It's too bad they included the crappy parts in their little review thingee. Downtown, well...at least the Core, is only getting better and better. I hope everyone, especially the suburbanites, will be able to see it in a better light.