technologies of the future

cityboi

This thread is for future technologies or concepts.

http://www.jorymon.com/product-design/trou-hologram-mobile-phone-by-mac-funamizu/

If you thought the I Phone was advanced think again. Because of ground-breaking holographic projection technology, within 10 years all of us will be walking around with hologram mobile phones. Designer Mac Funamizu has created a concept for a holographic phone where holograms replace the screens. Basically the phone has a keypad and an empty hole where the screen is suppose to be. The 3D holograms are projected within that hole. Imagine pulling up a GPS map in 3D on the phones! Another interesting thing about the concept is that the hole allows you to wear the phone on your arm. However the first hologram phones will likely be in 2D.

I think this will likely pave the way for holographic televisions and computers. High Definition/plasma tvs will be obsolete.

trou_7.jpg

trou_6.jpg

trou_11.jpg

trou_8.jpg

Wow look how much technology has changed! This is the first telephone (1876)

bell_telephone.gif

here are examples of 3D hologram projectors

• 9 months later...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting article about future technologies. One such technology is 20 to 50 years away......internet for your eyeballs

"The internet will be in our contact lenses," Kaku said. "You'll blink and you'll go online. When you talk to people, you'll see their biographies printed out. When they speak to you in Chinese, subtitles will appear under their names."

another break through in the next hundred years will be doubling human life span

Scientists are already working to identify the handful of genes that make humans and chimpanzees different. (For the record, scientists say we're 98.5 percent the same.)

"We are double the life span of a chimp. This means that among that handful of genes must be the genes responsible for extending a life span," he said.

"This is hot news."

Combine that with cellular research that could let scientists regrow heart valves, bladders and other organs, and you've got the ticket to a long life."

Just think, babies born in the next 100 years could live to be 160 to 200 years old. Unfortunately this breakthrough has not occurred in our lifetime. Imagine a person born in 1811 being alive today. Thats long before Abraham Lincoln became president. But there would be a price to pay for doubling human life span and thats world over population.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/03/25/science.fiction.kaku/index.html?hpt=Sbin

We often look at science fiction and think to ourselves we will never be able to do that. But just as the article mentioned, people two hundred years ago would consider us today as sorcerers. They wouldn't understand how we could pull up images from all over the world or talk to some one on a cell phone wireless to someone across the country. They would wonder how a voice could travel thousands of miles and with no physical connection. They would wonder how we could beam images from satellites. Its science to us but magic to someone 200 years ago.

Thisis what I think the future is.

post-6913-0-98167800-1301362688_thumb.jp

No, not the Thing-o-matic itself, although even that is cool. What the real future is, is desktop manufacturing. The ability to create just about anything anywhere. It is the cycle of manufaturing returning to the local scene - the ability to produce your idea cheap and local. It could be a revolution in our economy - a shift from big global companies with huge assembly lines, to small, local, innovative firms constantly producing new things. If you are interested in this type of stuff, I would highly recommend checking out Fab Labs. And for all you urban planning folks, this something that might have a huge impact on both our cities and developing countries.

^ i reserve a healthy dose of skepticism towards technology, but there is a compelling argument that manufacturing will be coming back to the local scale as rising petroleum costs overrun the savings from off shore wage arbitrage. let's hope so, as there is an employment vacuum to be filled, and lots of folks yearning for meaningful engagement with their local communities.

^ i reserve a healthy dose of skepticism towards technology, but there is a compelling argument that manufacturing will be coming back to the local scale as rising petroleum costs overrun the savings from off shore wage arbitrage. let's hope so, as there is an employment vacuum to be filled, and lots of folks yearning for meaningful engagement with their local communities.

Thats why its so important that we invest in education. We need to have an educated workforce capable of dreaming up and producing these new technologies, otherwise other countries will take the lead. In many ways we are already behind the curve and instead of being proactive about it, we are being reactive.

This technology could potentially solve a lot of the world's problems.

In January, two Italian scientists announced they had invented a reactor that fuses nickel and hydrogen nuclei at room temperature, producing copper and throwing off massive amounts of energy in the process. Sergio Focardi and Andrea Rossi demonstrated their tabletop device before a standing-room-only crowd in Bologna, purportedly using 400 watts of power to generate 12,400 watts with no hazardous waste. They told observers that their reactors, small enough to fit in a household closet are able to produce electricity for less than 1 cent per kilowatt hour.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/17/nuclear-future-beyond-japan/

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Some technologies of the future are already here. The Celluon Magic Laser projection keyboard is a new product that actually projects a full size keyboard on the table with a laser. All you do is type the keys on the laser image. The device works with bluetooth compatible devices such as lap tops, Ipads, Iphones and android phones. The device comes in handy because its very portable with out the need of having a physical keyboard and it also comes in handy with smart phones with small touch screen key pads.

ff33733fe25b26617e065695d5bc8f98.jpg

looks like bluetooth touch screen cellphone watches are available.

watch_mobile_phone_k800_wrist_watch_gsm_cell_phone.jpg_200x200%5B1%5D.jpg

Sell_L808_low_price_watch_mobile_phone_cheap_watch_mobile_phone_wrist_watch_clock_mobile_phone.jpg

Projector palm cellphones

iphone_projector_concept_1.jpg

Cellphones could look like this in 10 to 20 years because of nanotechnology research. You'll even be able to use your phone as a credit or debit card.

future-of-touch-cell-phones1.jpg

nanotech I Phone in 20 years?

future-palm-iphone.jpg

land line home phones will become mini computers and look much like today's tablets

Cell-Phones-Some-Considerations-of-the-Cell-Phone-of-the-Future.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

because of nanotechnology, we will be entering a new age of advanced technology. Because of organic semiconductors and organic transistors, flexible screens are on the horizon. You know those big tablets and large touchscreen phones? Soon we will be able to roll them up like scrolls. But that technology doesn't stop there. Digital/electronic "paper" is one of those revolutionary inventions like the light bulb and the computer because it can be applied to so many different things. Here is an example

LG has revealed the world’s first 14.1 inch flexible e-paper, that is almost like a traditional paper, as you can turn pages like you do on normal paper, the images remain crisp and text readable while you bend it 180 degrees and you don’t have to discard it daily, thanks to the digital distribution. This e-paper display is 300 mm thick and only consumes power when the image changes so its power friendly too. So there will be a time when newspapers will no longer be delivered to your home. You just pay a subscription fee and newspaper companies can send the data to your flexible e-paper digitally. You would be able to back up information if you want to save articles. Because of the technology, e-paper displays can be read in direct sunlight without the image appearing to fade. Think of how many trees that will be saved. This technology will make current tablets and smartphones obsolete. This futuristic technology is here today but its going to take between 10 and 20 years before its use is widespread in just about everything we do. Once this technology is mass produced, it will be extremely expensive and the price will have to come down over time before the average person will be able to purchased electronics using this technology. The technology is already being used in a few grocery stores as electronic shelf labels which shows the product name and price. We are preparing for an age where you can go into a store and scan your own items or store labels with your smart phone as you put them into your basket. Everything you scanned can be printed out via bluetooth or wi-fi technology on a receipt at the checkout counter and at the same time pay for it with your phone digitally. Plastic credit and debit cards will be obsolete but there would have to be a security feature. In order to use the debit or credit feature on your phone, it would have to detect your fingerprint. Think of the time it would cut in store lines. Now if they can only figure out a way for your smartphone to bag your items :)

The only downside to the flexible electronic paper technology is that it doesn't seem like the United States is spearheading this revolutionary technology. Our past economic success was due to our imagination and innovation. That led to U.S. base manufacturing of those innovations. Now other countries have leapfrogged over us and I blame U.S. politics between democrats and republicans which has slowed U.S. growth in the technology sectors. Its not good when government wants to cut spending in education and technology. Our politicians are more focused on who wins the next election.

lgepapertechnology-thumb.jpg

flexidisplaylgepaper-thumb.jpg

epage-ed01.jpg

digital photographs for your wallet. A slide show can be presented.

070524_Sony_e-paper.jpg

You will even be able to slide your smartphone in your wallet.

namvar20110508164614357.jpg

a4-size-e-paper.jpg

The television of the future. Just roll it up when you move it. No more back breaking work to move a big screen tv and it would be very easy to mount on a wall.

1.jpg

fashionable watches with scrolling time, graphics and information like the weather, email and news updates.

spec01.jpg

This paper thin display is built on organic thin-film transistor. This is truly one of those WOW technologies.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the next 100 years we could have a technology which today seems impossible. We could have the equivalent of the replicator in Star Trek thanks to nanotechnology research "Molecular Manufacturing".

In science fiction, it is a chamber where you put in the raw materials, and then ask for anything you want, whether it be dinner, a computer, or jewelry. The key to creating the replicator is the "nanobot," a robot the size of a molecule which can cut and rearrange molecular bonds, turning junk into valuable commodities, atom from atom.

At first, this seems impossible. But actually Mother Nature has already created a nanobot. It is called a ribosome, and can cleanly cut and paste molecules together like a master welder. This allows nature to take hamburgers and French fries and then convert them into a baby in nine months.

However, it may take a century to master the intricate art of reshaping matter from almost nothing. But when it happens, we will be able to take a rabbit out of a hat, literally, and change civilization in the process. It would likely require computers a thousand times more powerful than today's most power computers to program nanobots to create complex objects. Imagine doing home shopping from online. You can purchase a product, the company sends you an encrypted code to your home replicator and the product is made in your home, no shipping required. This would change how products are made in factories as well. This is scientifically possible. Its just a matter of having the technology at the molecular level to do it. There would be endless possibilities in the medical field with this technology. This same technology would also allow us to change the molecular make up of any solid object. Imagine turning a solid wall into liquid. Magic right? Well our ancestors would think of our today's technology as magic yet its all backed by science. We are in the birth stages of nanotechnology and the things we will be able to accomplish over the next few centuries will be amazing. We have only scratched the surface in technology. Every hundred years or so scientists say we have just about learned all that we know and then there is an explosion in technology and a new understanding of science afterwards.

Some believe early more primitive versions of nanotech replicators could happen much sooner. The downside to this technology is that it could turn the world economy on its head because there wouldn't be a need for traditional manufacturing methods and that would lead to massive global layoffs. Many shipping companies could get put out of business. Another downside is the potential for this technology to be used as a weapon. Breaking into a secure building wouldn't be difficult either. This may sound unbelievable today, but there is science behind what seems like magic to us today.

http://tv.ibtimes.co...-away/1409.html

• 2 weeks later...

We now have touchscreen phones, tablets and computers. So you would naturally assume touchscreen tvs are on the way.

they are just around the corner. I guess companies haven't produced them because of the expense. A 60 inch touchscreen high definition tv could easily start out between $4,000 to $5,000. That was the price of the first HD tvs in the late 1990s. But cheaper alternatives could bring touchscreen technology to tv sets much sooner.

I do think tablets will replace the laptop within the next 10 years. They will be obsolete. Google is becoming the new Microsoft. I should have purchased stock in Google in the late 90s. LOL

I made a post about this before. The bendable millimeter thin tv screens are around the corner. Hang them on your wall like a picture and with WIFI/battery technology, no need to have cords running up the wall. Don't you just love nanotechnology? compare this to tv sets just 20 years ago.

"The promising fact: huge OLED screens can be printed onto razor-thin surfaces using a process akin to an inkjet printer, theoretically making them even cheaper to produce than today's LCD and plasma screens."

http://www.cnn.com/2...html?hpt=hp_bn6

1920an.jpg

AndreaXSmall.JPG

PDRM1101a.jpg

article-0-0252503D0000044D-870_468x332.jpg

1980s.jpg

lg-15-inch-oled-tv.jpg

BEYOND

new-image.JPG

That calendar is actually a screen!! Reminds me of the moving pictures in the books in the Harry Potter movies. This technology can be applied to everything from newspapers to magazines. Books will look different because only one page is needed. "smart cards" will use this technology and replace drivers licenses, debit and credit cards. The cards will have displays on them. In fact you will be able to do online banking directly on the cards. You will also be able to punch in your debit card number directly onto the card before putting it into the ATM machine. That way scammers cant watch you punching your code on the atm machine. These smart cards will even be used to unlock your house or your cars. Now integrate these smart cards with smart phones! Eventually the manufacture of electronic paper will become incredibly cheap opening up the door for a wide range of uses. Imagine using your smart card as tickets to get into sporting or music events. This is very revolutionary.

sonypaper3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Star Trek has had an amazing track record in predicting future technologies.

The modern tablet was predicted 25 years ago on Star Trek The Next Generation along with touchscreen technology.

picard_padd_listing.jpg

And who could forget the flip top tricorder in the 1960s Star Trek which ended up becoming cell phones

star-trek-technology-capt-0191.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Google is trying to get ahead of Apple with its plan to make "smart glasses".

Messages, web surfing, word processing, phone conversation, weather information and navigation is only the beginning. Very cool! maybe with future nanotechnology breakthroughs, they will come in contacts. This makes the Ipad and smart phone look obsolete.

google-glasses-porject-glass_620x350.jpg

Google TV looked great in the initial demo that was given as well and you see how well that soared. :yawn:

Don't get me wrong...I'm a huge user of many Google products...most notably Google Apps where I work (I was the one who deployed it company-wide even) and I love my Gmail. We even use Google Apps here at UrbanPlanet.org, but Google has some issues with so many of their products. They have a very bad track record lately of making a new product and a few months or a couple of years later completely ditching it all of a sudden.

I think this project is awesome and I can't wait to get it in my own hands, but my main concern is WHO is developing this...not the actual product itself. They lack the laser focus to get things done like Apple does (of which I'm a HUGE fan...I have several items in their current product lineup).

What I can see happening is this...Google makes these glasses...and their AWESOME, at least under the most perfect conditions. They will likely require that you have an Android device...and probably one running a certain version of Android. The problem with Android is that it is tremendously fragmented. It's up to the handset maker (e.g. Samsung) to release an Android update for a particular phone. Lots of Android phones never get an update, even though one exists. While Google is the creator of Android, the carriers are the ones who finish development for a specific device and are thus responsible for any subsequent updates. This is much different from the way Apple handles it. Say what you will about Apple's closed system but it works.

These glasses will probably also use Google Plus for all social features. I doubt you'll see things like Twitter or Facebook on it. Google has no incentive to provide this third party information and let's be honest, Google Plus is floundering regardless of how much they're pushing it (and they're pushing it HARD).

The glasses WILL be awesome for a few folks, but unfortunately it will take more than a few folks to make this a real winner.

One reason why Apple has been so successful is because they focus on developing their own hardware. Everyone likes a shiny new electronic gadget. Google has focused more on its OS like Microsoft back in the 1990s. Other manufacturers develop the products and use Google android system. A Samsung phone with android is great but its not as exciting as an Iphone. I understand why Google uses other manufacturers. They want a larger share of the smartphone/tablet market. Everyone isn't going to buy just one brand. But I do think in some cases Google should build its own hardware and they can start with these glasses. However people are going to have to get comfortable using these glasses because when you are giving voice commands or talking to someone on the phone, others may think you are walking around talking to yourself. I have a friend who refuses to use bluetooth for that very reason.

Archived