East North Street to get road diet

gman430

Haywood Road, Church Street, Fairforest Way, and now this. :) I knew they were installing mast pole traffic lights and sidewalk ramps on East North Street, but I had no idea they were going to shrink the road to two lanes, add a median and implement bike lanes on both sides. This is really great to see in my opinion: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100605/NEWS/306050030/Fewer-lanes-for-cars-more-for-biker-on-East-North-Street Atwood Street and Park Avenue will also be getting new pavement and possibly bike lanes too. The best part is construction starts next week. :thumbsup: Hopefully the city gives other roads in the area like Stone Avenue a "road diet" in the near future.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was totally unaware that this was planned, but if construction is starting this soon, I have to assume it's been 'approved' already.

If the E. North diet works, then Stone Ave. and Wade Hampton should work well also. Wade Hampton definitely doesn't need 6 lanes. All 6 of those lanes are WIDE too. Lots of room for something else to go in.

Haywood Road, Church Street, Fairforest Way, and now this. :) I knew they were installing mast pole traffic lights and sidewalk ramps on East North Street, but I had no idea they were going to shrink the road to two lanes, add a median and implement bike lanes on both sides. This is really great to see in my opinion: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100605/NEWS/306050030/Fewer-lanes-for-cars-more-for-biker-on-East-North-Street Atwood Street and Park Avenue will also be getting new pavement and possibly bike lanes too. The best part is construction starts next week. :thumbsup: Hopefully the city gives other roads in the area like Stone Avenue a "road diet" in the near future.

Wow, some of the comments on that news site are really a shame. People need to realize that this will slow traffic but ONLY because you have been speeding through this street every day. The speed limit is 35 and this "road diet" will force people to follow the speed limit. People will literally complain about everything.... even being forced to follow local speed limits and being safer around two schools with CHILDREN in them. LOL.

Archived