PAC10 to raid Big 12?

MadVlad

Rumors have been circulating that the PAC10 plans to offer membership to 6 Big 12 teams: Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Colorado. The Big10 has already announced it is "considering" expansion, which means it will. If the PAC10 uses the Big East model of 16 teams and adds the 6 Big12 teams, the Big10 will really have no choice but to go to 16 teams. That will cause the SEC to also react and add 4 more, possibly raiding the ACC, maybe the Big East. What would be left is an ACC/Big East merger. Here is what I see happening over the next 3 years (my opinion):

Pac10: AZ, AZ State, Wash, Cal, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Texas, Tex A&M, Tex Tech, OK, OK State, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon St, Wash St

Big10: Indiana, Ill, NW, Oh St, Mich, Mich St, Wisc, Minn, Iowa, Purdue, Penn St, Notre Dame!!!, Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers, Syracuse/Pitt

SEC: Florida, Arkansas, Georgia, SC, Kentucky, Tenn, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Ga Tech/Va Tech, Miami, Fl St, Clemson/Louisville

ACC/Big East: UConn, WV, Cinci, NC, NC St, Duke, Wake F, USF, Syr/Pitt, Clem/Louisv, BC, Virginia, Va Tech/Ga Tech, Temple, Maryland, East Carolina/Central Fla/Memphis

Left over (WAC/Mtn Wst): Kansas!!, Iowa St, BYU, TCU, Kansas St, Utah, Boise St, New Mex, UNLV(do they have football?), Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado St, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, San Diego State

Thoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's sounding more and more like Nebraska is heading to the Big Ten. So get ready for a lot of changes to come. I suppose there could be a chance the Big 12 adds a team and stays together. But overall I think the only move that won't end up with big changes is Notre Dame to the Big Ten. I still have a hard time imagining fans in Texas having to travel all the way to the Pacific Northwest and vice versa on a somewhat regular basis. I think the some of the Big 12 teams would be a better fit in the SEC. But the SEC only has room for four, while the Pac 10 has a lot more room to take six. The Texas legislature might make it so that a conference has to take Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor all together. I see the SEC being interested in Texas and Texas A&M, but not really the others. If the SEC just sits back they may for to raid the ACC if they want to get up to 16 teams. But taking four teams all from the east or west of the conference is going to end up with realigning the conference. I can see that irritating some teams. Anyway whether people like it or not, looks like some big changes are on their way. If not right now then in the near future.

Somehow I see Kansas being picked up. Their basketball program alone could help out any conference, though their football program doesn't offer as much. If the Pac 10 becomes the Pac 16, I could see the Big 10 doing the same thing and become the Big 16. SEC and ACC will be forced to follow suite. Though, I see the ACC benefiting the least from all this. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Big East. I also believe Notre Dame is going to be forced to do something as well. They can't afford to stand pat and let these other super conferences form without them.

College sports isnt about education its about money. The majors as well as the mid majors want more money and loyalty doesnt exist and never has. They can leave conferences they have been with for years and show no loyalty but, they wont agree on a playoff system. WHY? Money! America is a self serving place and it doesnt end in sports but, this is an example of how the NCAA and the top learning institutions FOCUS on money and not the well being of these young men/woman later as adults. They use up these football players and other sports players.

Im sick of it and Im not mad at Colorado for leaving, no! Nor will I be upset when the other teams leave officially. My issue is with the rules that allow these things to happen. I live in ACC country and would hate to see Maryland or North Carolina leave the ACC. Tradition is a thing of the past and loyalty is gone. Before ESPN and these HUGE contracts for TV rights football and college sports as well as pro sports had SOME integrity! Now, money rules decision making. Nebraska in the BIG 10,NO!,NO! The Pac-10 with Colorado,NO! Makes no sense and is a sign that $ is what drives decisions now, from the education of kids that don't really do the work to the administration and heads f school and the NCAA who FOCUS on what they truly desire! Money and they care nothing about the students NOR there futures. Some of the schools have integrity(few) and some coaches care about the kids(few) but, the heads of the schools and the NCAA are pimps for profit!

Pete Carrol left because he was a snake and crooked and like the rest of major college sports, its all about money. Boise State deserved a shot at a BCS and hey, Im not a Boise State fan, Im a Miami Hurricane fan. That said, is it that the non BCS conferences arent as good or, that the money generated isnt as good with a Boise State vs. Texas BCS Championship game. I think its money and not skill. We see time and time again that the smaller schools can compete and college basketball is a great example of fair chances. The NCAA is run like the mob to me. A free for all for money and nothing wrong with that in the mob, its guerilla versus bear but, in college sports that deal with kids 17-25 its a must there taught right from wrong and we wonder why they act up as students. Its because they see the hypocrisy of college sports and its a business just like the NFL!!!! L.G.N.M(Love.God.Not.Money)rolleyes.gif

I honestly think that the Big 10 is going to stop at 12 for the time being and then see what happens. The Big East needs to be proactive and offer Kansas, Kansas St., and Missouri memberships now. They also should add either Memphis or UCF from CUSA. I don't think that Iowa St. or Baylor would really be good additions to the Big East. Iowa St. because they don't bring much to the table and Baylor due to being in Texas. I just don't think the Big East belongs there but hey if they go to Kansas then why not I suppose. I think that the Big East might as well go all out and go for the 12 team football and 20 team basketball alignment. That would mean that the Big East would become a much stronger football league and for all intents and purposes the premier Basketball league in the nation that essentially would be 2 basketball conferences in one. As far as getting a Big East Network created I'm starting to think that the BBall only schools could add some value there by virtue of bringing in exposure in markets where they don't even have to have football playing members in.

If there wasn't a lot of wild speculation already, now that teams are actually starting to jump conferences rumors are really starting to fly. I caught one tv station reporting that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to the Big Ten. Oklahoma St looking to the Pac 10. Oklahoma looking to the SEC but has to find a second team to join them. The next few weeks should be pretty crazy.

I'm thinking that the ACC and the Big East will eventually be raided heavily and have to pool it's resources and merge, at least the Football schools. The BB school sof the Big East will be cut loose (probably keep the Big East name) and have to somehow gain other basketball-only members like UMASS, Vermont, etc. I'm not sure Baylor ends up in the PAC10, I think they'd have to join whatever amalgamation the Mountain West/WAC turns into. In football, I think there will be 5 mega conferences: PAC16, BIG16, SEC, ACC/BE (Atlantic East?), MWAC16

I think the SEC will expand, but not to 16. I don't see where the next 4 would come from. People talk a lot about Clemson, Florida State, and Georgia Tech as possibilities, but aside from a football tradition, those schools really don't offer much to the SEC. Talk seems to be that Texas A&M is interested in the SEC. Aside from them, any other school is pretty much up for discussion, especially since the SEC is being so tight lipped about it.

I'm also not of the opinion that the SEC will raid the ACC first, but if they start to fall apart its a different story.

The most interesting thing to me is what will come of the Mountain West. Adding Boise State gives them a lot more clout. If the Texas and Oklahoma schools go to create the Pac-16 then Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State could be likely candidates for a 16 team Mountain West.

So if all of that pans out and the ACC robs the Big East to even things out, we will have 4 so-called 'mega conferences.' In that situation, what happens to the BCS? I would like to see it go away personally.

The only thing I know for sure is that this saga just keeps getting more interesting.

I think it's funny how The Big10 was lazily going about expansion, maybe winter maybe spring, we'll see. Then Larry Scott and the Pac10 jump everything up to right now.

Here's my predictions-

Big 10- NEB is already in as of today, Muzzouri will announce soon, and PITT, and stop at 14 for now. ND going to stick it out until they have no other options.

Big 12- done, I don't think it was any schools actually leaving is it's undoing, it was that 9 of 12 schools were heavily talked about leaving and no one wanted to get left in the cold.

PAC10- Texas, OKLA , OK ST, Colorado's already there, Tex Tech, and either Baylor or Tex A&M, going to 16

MTN West- The leftovers( Kansas and KA ST), Boise ST joined up today, I called this over a year ago, they want tougher in conference foes. This bring them to 12, they may go to 14 with Iowa St and a WAC school, but as a TCU fan, i'm not crazy about Iowa St. Kansas B-ball- with the way mid-majors have been competing against major schools lately in basketball, playing in the MWC doesn't matter as much as it used to and it may be surprising, kids may be more likely to play for Wyoming or SDSU, more now because they get to play against Kansas, therefore increasing the overall skill and competition, maybe, heck, New Mexico was a 3 seed this year and if i remember right could have gotten a 1 if the cards fell right and they got lucky.

SEC- adds Tex A&M or no one, they don't need to, what is there football national title steak at now, 5 years?

Big East- adds Memphis or other C-USA school

ACC- stays put

I think the eastern conferences for the most part are going to see where things shake out, before going too crazy.

I have to agree this is all about money NEB sort of fits the midwest Big10, but come on Texas is not near the Pacific ocean, I know i drove from Tyler, Tx to LA, 2 years ago, it's about a 28 hour bus ride, so we'll see how often schools fly teams across the country, and how it affects their budgets.

I'm always excited for the mystery of the future, so I can't wait for some of of these new in conference match- ups. OSU & NEB, Boise & TCU or BYU, Or Utah

^I hadn't really thought about it, but Kansas and Kansas State going to the Mountain West makes a lot of sense if the Big 12 does dissolve (like we all think it will). This would be great for their football programs I think. Because you could easily argue that Boise State is a top 5 team this year and potentially a powerhouse going forward. The Mountain West is probably the most underrated football conference around. TCU, BYU, Utah and now Boise State are all solid programs. Obviously Kansas' basketball program would raise the conference's profile too. The thing about the Big East though is that they will have a hard time bringing in more schools because in basketball they already have 16 teams. But only 9 of those schools play football. A school like East Carolina would be a great fit for football, but I don't know that they would be able to play basketball either because you already have all those other basketball schools. We shall see... The next week will be interesting to say the least.

If Texas A&M does go to the SEC I'm just wondering who the 16th team for the 'PAC 16' will be. The rest of the Big 12 seem to be trying to put in a good word for Baylor. But I just get the feeling the PAC isn't that interested. I think they might actually try to get one of the Mountain West teams. Yeah the SEC isn't any any rush to add anybody. First, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' seems to be the idea. Also a big factor not everybody seems to realize they just recently signed a new tv deal. The PAC is making a move now because they want all of this done before they sign a new tv deal. Adding more teams to the SEC means that money form their tv deal gets divvied up by more teams so teams won't get as much as last year. But the SEC also doesn't want to hold off too long and getting whatever teams are 'left over' after all the other conferences have built up to 16. So the SEC isn't in any rush, but they aren't just going to casually sit back and watch everybody else either.

I think we'll just have to see what happens after the PAC. If any of the other major conferences adds on trying to get to 16 I think it really gets dominoes falling. If the Big Ten keeps adding the SEC will certainly make a move. If the SEC makes a move I think you'll finally start getting Notre Dame of the fence and join the Big Ten. They're going to hold out as long as they can but if everybody is going to these 'super conferences' they're going to have to join at some point. The Big Ten will perhaps finally ad Missouri, but they'll also look to the Big East. The SEC will probably go after the ACC, maybe the Big East. I don't see the SEC going after Missouri, Kansas or Kansas St. The ACC and Big East will probably have to join forces if the other conferences raid them.

Now the latest rumor is that the Big 12 commissioner has convinced Texas to stay. I haven't heard any word on if they're planning on getting two more teams to keep the divisions and championship game. Or simply leave it as a 10 member league. If Texas does stay I think it's likely that the other teams will follow. For now at least. While it's nice that the Big 12 (or whatever it's going to be called) to perhaps stick around. I still see there being problems. Sounds like Texas is going to have even more power over the league. Which has been one of the problems in the first place with the other teams. But I can't help but feel the other teams are going to still be looking around. Maybe the boat isn't sinking as quickly, but I still wonder if there's a feeling it's simply now a slow leak. What if the Big Ten decides to offer Missouri a spot after all? You know Missouri is gone. I don't think the league can last if just one more team leaves. Maybe if they add some other teams. I think if the league sticks together Texas A&M will stick around for now as well. But I have a feeling they're going to be keeping talks with the SEC going. The SEC isn't in any rush to add teams. I think they'd be just as happy in trying to pry Texas A&M away at some future point after they've had more time to work on some other teams. Seems to me this new league is going to be rather vulnerable.

Yeah..it looks like the BIG XII is now 10...and the BIG 10 is now 12 :lol:

Texas arrogance caused Nebraska to bolt; they could not stand the unequal pay-out$ any longer...lucky for them the BIG 10 was not interested in Mizzou. Should the BIG XII add TCU & Houston to get 12?? Rumor is Oklahoma and Texas A&M are getting a better cut of the $$$ now. It was hard to imagine Texas in the PAC 10...doesnt geography count for anything these days?? Not against the almighty dollar.

With the PAC 10 adding Colorado; rumor has it they are interested in Utah as the 12th team...

Glad this seems like it did not get too messy or nasty...teams like Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State Iowa State are breathing a sigh of relief

As far as the SEC goes..if it ain't broke...don't fix it. 12 teams in a conference is plenty IMO.

Funny, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, and Kansas State are breathing a sigh of relief... and signing checks to Texas, Oklahoma, etc with the left hand. If Iowa State and Kansas had any other options, they'd be better off using those options...

Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, and Kansas State better not be too happy just yet. I still really think this is just a temporary fix. I don't expect the Big 12 (or whatever it will be called now) is going to last. None of the issues that drove Nebraska away were addressed. In fact it's even worse. Another conference is eventually going to want to expand and they'll be looking to that conference again. If anything all this has done is give Texas more time to evaluate it's options. If the Big Ten offers Missouri a spot for real next time they're gone. We all know they aren't happy there. For that matter if I was one of the other teams I'd still be actively looking into other options. If a good opportunity exists for any of the teams to go elsewhere as unstable as the league is now I'd have to think any of the teams would be ready to bolt. Then we'll have all this come up again.

Archived