city123

History of Charlotte

^^^ Hey the mover and shakers of uptown Charlotte were probably parking here in this lot and could afford cars with Corinthian leather LOL 

• Haha 1

Here is one of the few building facade saves in uptown Charlotte I sure hope we can do something with the Polk building.  Raleigh is doing something with the old Dillon Supply Building facade incorporating it in a new 17 story office building downtown. 

IMG_3529.JPG

• Like 4

If I recall correctly, they didn't just save the facade.  They saved the whole building.  Moved it across the street, dug out the parking garage, then moved it back and built over and around it.    

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Wow that’s beautiful! How have I never noticed that?

Maybe, the ugly Bail Bond building next to it distracted you. ;)

On 11/25/2017 at 3:56 PM, KJHburg said:

^^^ Yes that is correct and I remember seeing it move on tv.  

I remember seeing it in person, and thinking how surreal to see a brick wall in the middle of Tryon St.

• Like 1

This is the current Amtrak station in Salisbury and from I understand, the original station in Charlotte on West Trade was built in the similar Spanish Mission style in the early 1900's.

1215ne-salisbury-station-01-622x425.jpg

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 4

^^ The Mission style train station was probably one of the greatest loss of any building in Charlotte along with the old City Hall on North Tryon.  

And little Cary NC has great looking train station better than our current one. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Incorporated as "Charlotte Town" on November 7,  1768, the Queen City crosses a historic milestone in 2018 -- the 250th Anniversary of her founding. 

Happy 2018 and Happy 250th Anniversary, Charlotte!

Links:

http://www.cmhpf.org/educhargrowth.htm  (The Growth of Charlotte: A History by Dr. Thomas W. Hanchett, The Courthouse Village, 1760s - 1800s)

http://www.cmstory.org/timeline  (History Timeline -- The Charlotte Mecklenburg Story, 1768 - Charlotte Incorporated)

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 1

A few historical displays from the Museum of the New South and who says Charlotte is only about banking.   We invented the orange barrel for construction!   Charlotte Chamber ad from the 1920s was interesting.  And one sign from the Wells Fargo museum the trip to Camden SC from Charlotte took 48 hours talk about bad roads! And sadly the green First Union is now a museum piece. 

IMG_4939.JPG

IMG_4940.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4987.JPG

• Like 4