History of Charlotte

city123

I had a discussion with an architect -- degree from UNC Charlotte School of Architecture.

Well, they would study plans for large projects and for her class, it was BAC (NCNB Corporate Center).  I got to learn something new.

The original approved plans had a hotel planned to be at Trade and College corner (on the BAC block) with valet and all. Today, I finally looked up the approved plans and sure enough... Hotel is there.

Now the question is: does anyone here know what happened to the hotel planned?

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/1989/1989-014 site plan.pdf

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Jefferson Standard Insurance Co and First Union Bank were the anchor tenants. 

well thats just plain confusing. Suprised companies weren't so vain as to let that happen

On 1/16/2018 at 2:33 PM, Scribe said:

I had a discussion with an architect -- degree from UNC Charlotte School of Architecture.

Well, they would study plans for large projects and for her class, it was BAC (NCNB Corporate Center).  I got to learn something new.

The original approved plans had a hotel planned to be at Trade and College corner (on the BAC block) with valet and all. Today, I finally looked up the approved plans and sure enough... Hotel is there.

Now the question is: does anyone here know what happened to the hotel planned?

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/1989/1989-014 site plan.pdf

I think they built the valet drop off... I walked past this everyday from 2000-2003.  I think they filled it in.  I always thought it was a little odd to have a valet drop off for a bank building, but figured they needed it for high rollers or something.  The planned hotel makes much more sense.

On 2/7/2018 at 9:26 PM, KJHburg said:

another release from KJ's vault of old postcards.  Taken maybe 1974 or so.  Notice what is missing and it is a lot!  Ah Belks and Iveys still stores uptown.  No Radisson now known as Omni.   All 3 of the tallest buildings  were pictured. FullSizeR (1).jpg

Wow, that Belk building has almost no windows!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Just back from the vault of KJ old photos of Charlotte and to celebrate my 2 yr anniversary as someone reminded me today on UP, here is a gem I took on the Brookshire Freeway in the family car riding shotgun early 1980s.  Film processed by Eckerds.   I remember this Charlotte do you? 

FullSizeRender (14).jpg

I remember Eckerd's...  This one (now RiteAid) in Asheville  still has its original Eckerd's coffee shop inside.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

I remember Eckerd's...  This one (now RiteAid) in Asheville  still has its original Eckerd's coffee shop inside.

Oh man, bro, in this corner of downtown Matthews, exactly where the new library/City Hall that is so gorgeous, used to be an Eckerd's, and those stores on the right were originally crappier looking versions of single-story retail. And the whole entire rest of this space was a parking lot (save for KFC off to the left outside this pic, and the Kristopher's building). I wish I had a photo of it... Makes me all the more impressed with what they did here:

Matthews. jpg.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2018 at 8:28 PM, KJHburg said:

Just back from the vault of KJ old photos of Charlotte and to celebrate my 2 yr anniversary as someone reminded me today on UP, here is a gem I took on the Brookshire Freeway in the family car riding shotgun early 1980s.  Film processed by Eckerds.   I remember this Charlotte do you? 

FullSizeRender (14).jpg

In this picture, Charlotte actually has a nice skyline symmetry starting to develop even back then. I haven't seen that in other pics from around that time period.

• Like 3

Question for longtime Charlotteans: what happened to the area northeast of uptown bounded by Tryon St, 30th St, Catalina Ave, and 24th street?  There are just a bunch of empty blocks there now.  I assume houses and apartments used to occupy the now empty spaces, but why were they removed?

• Like 1

Couple of photos from today's funeral procession through uptown Charlotte and I was up at 9th and N Tryon across from the Skyhouses. 

1. First Methodist Church next to 525 N Tryon tower

2. 3.  Billy Graham funeral procession 

4. Ben Long fresco inside the Transamerica 400 N Tryon tower atrium  the Continuum   http://www.benlongfineart.com/trans-america-dome/

There is an excellent photo of  300 South Tryon  in this set of photos from BGEA of 300 South Tryon and looking down Tryon St. 

https://billygraham.org/gallery/nc-residents-line-streets-and-highways-to-honor-billy-graham-as-motorcade-passes-by/

IMG_6179.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG

IMG_6198.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

the historical Barringer Hotel aka Hall House hopefully will  become a luxury hotel again.  It was the first high rise built in a decade when it opened back in 1940.   Photo from today.  Love all the brick of this hotel. 

http://cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/Surveys&RBarringerHotel.htm

IMG_6182 (3).JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4