History of Charlotte

city123

Back to the topic of the thread....

Took a drive down 74 this past weekend.  First time I've been on this side of Charlotte in ages, and thought I'd grab a pic of one of the longtime restaurants in the area.  Really need to stop here for a bit sometime, there are waaaay too many good restaurants around the QC that I've never been to.

DSC_3984.jpg.a73387049585de35c6acc45fcf1f8795.jpg

• Like 2

That video made me so mad, how can ALL of those buildings be gone? Seriously, it's infuriating. I realize that not every building can be saved, fires happen, redevelopment occurs, some buildings simply become outdated or obsolete, but how does Charlotte go from such density, to what we have today? I love this city, don't get me wrong, but can you imagine if we had the streetscape like in those photos, AND our plethora of skyscrapers? If I didn't know any better I'd think I was looking at a large turn of the century metropolis, not 60,000 person Charlotte. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

That video made me so mad, how can ALL of those buildings be gone? Seriously, it's infuriating. I realize that not every building can be saved, fires happen, redevelopment occurs, some buildings simply become outdated or obsolete, but how does Charlotte go from such density, to what we have today? I love this city, don't get me wrong, but can you imagine if we had the streetscape like in those photos, AND our plethora of skyscrapers? If I didn't know any better I'd think I was looking at a large turn of the century metropolis, not 60,000 person Charlotte. 

It's called urban renewal  in the 60s

• Like 1

^^^^ Well that Charlotte of old skyline is still can be seen in other NC cities like Asheville, Durham. Winston and Greensboro all have long stretches of building like that.  That is why it is vital the remaining buildings both large and small are preserved.  

• Like 3

The Hornet's Nest (if it occurred) was a battle at McIntyre's farm out Beatty's Ford Road. Alternative spelling is Beatties Ford. The site is preserved today and also has remains of gold mining from the early 1800's. Miners, and farmers in their spare time, dug pits to extract the quartz with gold therein. It is an interesting site and worth an afternoon and a short drive.

http://www.cmhpf.org/Properties Foundation Reports/McIntyreFarm.html

Kings Mountain National Historic site is an excellent day trip I strongly recommend. There is a modern interpretive center and one can walk the site on a trail designed to mimic the battle with information plaques at significant points detailing how the attack would have looked from each point, the tactics and weapons available,  and sketches of men of the time. It is easy to look through the trees and imagine firing from cover, taking 30 seconds to reload, slowly advancing and calling with whistles and animal sounds to fellow fighters nearly invisible in the brush. Fully worth it and a nice view from the top.

Thanks KJ for the holiday message.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2018 at 6:13 AM, tarhoosier said:

Kings Mountain National Historic site is an excellent day trip I strongly recommend. There is a modern interpretive center and one can walk the site on a trail designed to mimic the battle with information plaques at significant points detailing how the attack would have looked from each point, the tactics and weapons available,  and sketches of men of the time. It is easy to look through the trees and imagine firing from cover, taking 30 seconds to reload, slowly advancing and calling with whistles and animal sounds to fellow fighters nearly invisible in the brush. Fully worth it and a nice view from the top.

Thanks KJ for the holiday message.

I agree. The battleground and center are worth visiting!  One thing I learned there was that there was only ONE true "Redcoat" casualty. (By Redcoat I'm saying British soldier).  The other casualties were loyalists living in this area. North Carolina, like now, was divided between loyalists and revolutionists.  The Battle of Moores Creek near Wilmington goes into the dynamics between these two forces a little better.  There you learn that the early Scots were Lowland and Highland Scots, with the Highlanders being allied with the Brits.  Ironically, the lowlanders settled our Carolina highlands, while the Highlanders our lowlands.  One of the motivations for passing through N.C. was to pick up help from the  Loyalists.

• Like 1

^^^ and you must speak of Col. Ferguson of the British forces whose graves is marked by a large pile of rocks.  And  yes NC was divided in that war and as well as the US Civil War.  

So go visit Kings Mountain NMP soon great walking trails and just a short drive from Charlotte. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...