History of Charlotte

city123

• 2 weeks later...

Don't miss the history in Uptown. 2nd photo Here is the Tryon Plaza tallest building built in the 1920s completed in 1927 tallest in the city for 35 years!  To the left and right is the Interstate Tower or 129 W Trade.    1st photo is Iveys building built in 1924.  

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Don't miss the history in Uptown. 2nd photo Here is the Tryon Plaza tallest building built in the 1920s completed in 1927 tallest in the city for 35 years!  To the left and right is the Interstate Tower or 129 W Trade.    1st photo is Iveys building built in 1924.  

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Are Tryon Plaza and the Interstate Tower connected? Can you walk thru one building to the other?

1 hour ago, Boricua said:

Are Tryon Plaza and the Interstate Tower connected? Can you walk thru one building to the other?

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

No but they almost touch in corner

I'll take a pic of this soon. You can walk out the back door from one into the back of the other.

There is a frustratingly almost-passable alley in between the two that acts as a rain gutter, currently blocked at the sidewalk on W Trade.

• Thanks 2

Can anyone give a history of 1st St in Charlotte?

I'd long assumed Stonewall St used to be 1st St, and that it had originally extended over the tracks to the stub at Cedar. Then, since MLK Jr Blvd definitely used to be 2nd St, this narrative seemed even more likely to me.

But then today I noticed the 1st St stub between Mint St and Church St!

So what's the chronology? :dunno:

• Thanks 2

At this site you will see that Stonewall was always Stonewall from a long time ago. Same for 1st street. There were more rail connections to the West Trade St station and those lines were on grade originally and cut 1st street west of Graham as now. There was another part of 1st west of the tracks. 

The light rail follows the tracks from South Carolina and that line had a curve north of Morehead to lead to the Southern RR station on West Trade. Hill was also cut off as seen on the map. Railroads made city streets adapt to them and not the other way.

https://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ncmaps/id/9455/rec/20

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1st street would follow Levine Ave of the Arts but is broke off with the convention center and by the corner of the stadium property.  But yes there was and is a First St and no Stonewall has been Stonewall for a very long time.      Thanks for the link on the old map.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

At this site you will see that Stonewall was always Stonewall from a long time ago. Same for 1st street. There were more rail connections to the West Trade St station and those lines were on grade originally and cut 1st street west of Graham as now. There was another part of 1st west of the tracks. 

The light rail follows the tracks from South Carolina and that line had a curve north of Morehead to lead to the Southern RR station on West Trade. Hill was also cut off as seen on the map. Railroads made city streets adapt to them and not the other way.

https://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ncmaps/id/9455/rec/20

Thank you! Interesting, in this day and age it's so easy to think everything used to be a PERFECT GRID, when in fact it wasn't always so.
Side note: LOL at Seigle Ave formerly being labeled as "Segal":

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 10.16.10 PM.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Trickbot said:

Has Charlotte had any tall buildings like 10+ stories been demolished? I feel like tall old buildings are good for a city like ones in WS, GSO, or even the oldies in NYC and it would be a shame if we have lost some

Oh yes Hotel Charlotte where Carillon stands, the Independence Bldg where 101 N Tryon and Marriott uptown are,  the 8 story Professional Bldg where 400 North Tryon stands but we have these buildings still standing from 1920s 1930s the Dunhill, Tryon Plaza, Johnston Bldg, Hall House on N Tryon

But yes we have torn down several significant buildings due to the cities high growth versus the other NC cities whose downtowns  have not grown as fast as ours.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Oh yes Hotel Charlotte where Carillon stands, the Independence Bldg where 101 N Tryon and Marriott uptown are,  the 8 story Professional Bldg where 400 North Tryon stands but we have these buildings still standing from 1920s 1930s the Dunhill, Tryon Plaza, Johnston Bldg, Hall House on N Tryon

But yes we have torn down several significant buildings due to the cities high growth versus the other NC cities whose downtowns  have not grown as fast as ours.  

I miss Hotel Charlotte, the building, and Hotel Charlotte, the restaurant dedicated to the building.    Sam is my favorite bartender in town. 

Maybe they will open a new one dedicated to the restaurant that was dedicated to the building.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, WCUP said:

I miss Hotel Charlotte, the building, and Hotel Charlotte, the restaurant dedicated to the building.    Sam is my favorite bartender in town. 

Maybe they will open a new one dedicated to the restaurant that was dedicated to the building.

HA!  Tell Sam that "A" from Lake Norman is still looking for him out on the water.

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

These are photos I took from 1991 at and near the World Trade Center.  Let's never forget those who lost their lives in 4 attacks back on that day 9/11/2001.    Of course this impacted Charlotte in more ways than you might think.  TIAA decided after the attack to move more of their business out of lower Manhattan and I think they relocated their data center from there to here.  I have met several people who left the NYC area and moved to Charlotte area.  One person I met was actually a survivor in the WTC collapse.  Lets pause and remember that day and pray it never happens again in our lifetimes.   From the KJ archives   The picture of the NYC skyline is very much like that day clear blue skies. 

WTCbatteryparkcity.jpg

WTCnycskyline.jpg

Link to "I'm Proud to be an American" by Lee Greenwood

God Bless the USA - I'm Proud to be an American~ Lee Greenwood ...

Mar 30, 2012 - Uploaded by Hannah S.

Thanks to all the brave service men and women. I hope everyone is proud to be an American. I know I am. 

God Bless the U.S.A.   Lee Greenwood

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I worked for all my life
And I had to start again
With just my children and my wife
I thank my lucky stars
To be living here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
And they can't take that away
And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
From the lakes of Minnesota
To the hills of Tennessee
Across the plains of Texas
From sea to shining sea
From Detroit down to Houston
And New York to L.A.
Where's pride in every American heart
And it's time we stand and say
That I'm proud to be an American
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
And I'm proud to be an American
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
Songwriters: Lee Greenwood
God Bless the U.S.A. lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group
CAM04719 (1).jpg

Photo by @KJHburg  - Originally posted in "Charlotte Photo of the Day" on Charlotte July 4, 2017
Edited by QCxpat
Include lyrics
  • Like 3

From Charlotte Five, "Remembering 9/11 in Charlotte, from halting flights at the airport to evacuating banks," by Charlotte Five staff, September 11, 2018.

CLT AIRPORT CLOSED  -  UPTOWN EVACUATED - Excerpt:

"In Charlotte, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police chief and other city officials met to discuss how the city should respond to the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington. They’re especially concerned because of the major banks headquartered here, and the city’s place in the nation’s financial markets, City Council member Patrick Cannon said."

"By 10 a.m. workers in the 60-story Bank of America Corporate Center, Charlotte’s tallest building, began pouring through exits, saying they were told to go home.  We were told to get out of the building,” said investment banker Weston Andress, who works on the 11th floor.  "To think 10 to 20 people – I don’t how many people planned this thing.  This is going to shake up the whole world for a long time.”

N.B.:  Weston Andress is currently the Regional President, PNC Financial Service Group, and also the most recent past Chair of the Mint Museum Board of Trustees.

911-memorial-charlotte-696x427.jpg

People gather for a memorial service at Romare Bearden Park in uptown Charlotte Friday, Sept. 11, 2015.

2,997 flags were placed in the park in the shape of the twin towers to honor the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Photo by Todd Sumlin, Charlotte Observer

Link:  https://www.charlottefive.com/remembering-9-11-charlotte/

Edited by QCxpat
quotation marks
  • Like 2