History of Charlotte

city123

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2018 at 7:32 AM, tarhoosier said:

Sears store on North Tryon, opened 1949. This photo is credited to the Charlotte historic landmarks commission.

Sears Roebuck, as it was at the time. Although I lived n Charlotte during the life of this store I never went there as the SouthPark and Eastland stores were convenient. The story of commerce is whatever is easier for the consumer will be the winner.

image.png.0cb597525489c3812a41fdad7b20f617.png

And, sadly, Amazon, Alibaba, Google, etc, will kill much of the retail that killed uptown shopping.   And, we enable with the huge tax incentives....but that's another story.  (They're killing my business)

I remember going to that Sears while it was open. Never seemed as large at the Southpark Store.  The ones I miss the most are Belks and Ivey's up town.  I still remember being a brat and pulling Santa's beard and being chased out of Belks.  Okay, I have other more pleasant memories there like buying my BoyScout clothes.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

And, sadly, Amazon, Alibaba, Google, etc, will kill much of the retail that killed uptown shopping.   And, we enable with the huge tax incentives....but that's another story.  (They're killing my business)

I remember going to that Sears while it was open. Never seemed as large at the Southpark Store.  The ones I miss the most are Belks and Ivey's up town.  I still remember being a brat and pulling Santa's beard and being chased out of Belks.  Okay, I have other more pleasant memories there like buying my BoyScout clothes.

...and don't forget the creaking wooden floors in the Tryon facing portion of Belks as well as the clackity clack of what must have been one of the first escalators in downtown.  

• Like 3

Scholtz Flowers is prominent in this photo. The Scholtz family lived on East Boulevard and had their greenhouses there for many years. The family sold the land in about 1980 and the Dilworth Gardens shopping is on that land now. Rountree Plantation, a general plant and landscape supply company, isoff of Old Pineville Road, behind the Cargill vegetable oil refinery on Scholtz Road. I am uncertain of the relationship between Scholtz and Rountree.

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Found on Reddit. 

“Crowds witness the ceremonial last running of streetcars in Charlotte. March 15, 1938”

6091CF5E-0D19-46DC-86F0-A40825BDF0AC.jpeg

Anyone know where this photo was taken? I would assume it would have been somewhere on Tryon, but I am unsure of what the cross street would be

Oh. My. Gawd. Look at all that retail.

2 restaurants, 2 major KODAK retailers, Sterchi and Haverty furniture and home furnishings, Bridges which may be furniture, 2 florists, Sherwin Williams paint (I think), Western Auto, We Give Green Stamps, Sinclair oil and gas, Masonic Temple, Movie theater with William Powell and Myrna Loy so for sure the The Thin Man series of films. (A great series, catch them on Turner Classic), Women's clothes.

Hole-lee-cow

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1