History of Charlotte

city123

/\ I remember those days...gosh am I that old; mid 40's.  I remember going to the Capitol store in downtown Fayetteville.  Don't remember the Belks store but sure we went there also for Christmas shopping.  If anyone watches the movie A Christmas Story that is how my early childhood was around this time of year.  Although it wasnt the 50's more like late 70's right around the time downtowns began to die.   As DMann said there werent malls around then , or just beginning to open so you had to go "uptown"; my grandmother has said that for over 90 years.  Then mom tried Cross Creek mall once and we never went back downtown.  Although the mall was cool it never quite matched the sound, smell and atmosphere of shopping downtown.  

• Like 3

The original ones were called the seven sisters. Steele Creek, Philadelphia, Hopewell, Sugaw (Sugar) Creek, Providence, Centre and Poplar Tent.

http://www.ncmarkers.com/Markers.aspx?MarkerId=L-107

First was for the settlers near the (now) square and travellers on the road NE x SW. The others served the agricultural communities and plantations in other locations, nearly all near streams (see their names).

Correction: First was organized in 1815.  Previous entry was in error and deleted. Perhaps not your answer.

Second edit: Mint Street could not be before the Mint which was 1837 so Church for the current congregation could be true. Street names could have changed over time. 

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2