History of Charlotte

city123

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I think it's not uncommon for state and federal government to provide worker housing. Many UNC campuses provide staff and visiting faculty housing. I know some private colleges do the same: they own houses around their campuses and offer them as part of the deal to remain competitive with institutions that can offer higher salaries. 

Not just college teachers. In the early part of the last century Mecklenburg County, as well as  other counties in North Carolina built and maintained dwellings for public school teachers. Here in Mecklenburg, recall that the county was a separate school system and served the large rural area which made up most of the county. These schools were 1-8 or 1-11 or 1-12, depending on the era, the finances of the community, state law and other parameters. Teachers were recruited to these schools and had an opportunity to be housed in a building for the purpose. Often private or shared sleeping rooms, common eating area and occasionally supervised by the school principal and his spouse or other member of the community. This gave a school an important advantage when teachers were difficult to find and those who would be interested had no auto to commute, a common event. This helped to make ends meet for teachers and also, in some areas, an income to supervising families. A check with your favorite search engine will recover some information about this period.

tl;dr  Schools and teachers were poor and rural, housing was provided at low cost and at mutual benefit.

If you would like to see a remaining teacherage here in Mecklenburg County Long Creek Elementary still remains and was a model for the others that have disappeared. It is a two story, square building. Simple construction, basic function, a step up in living for many from that time. I have been in the Pineville School teacherage, converted to meeting space and storage though it is now gone. There is a lot more to this story but I will leave it there.

For your historic entertainment I offer this anecdote: When I was hired by CMS my principal lived in the Berryhill school area. He had an additional job of supervising the Berryhill School teacherage. He knew I was a young single man and he offered me a room at this building if I were so interested. A private room, parking provided and the cost was the princely sum of one (1) dollar per month.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

People say there is not much history in uptown Charlotte.  True few commercial historical buildings still stand but there are a few but over here in Fourth Ward plenty of historic homes just blocks from the tallest buildings in the Carolinas.  Today walkabout in 4th Ward.   2nd photo is historic McNinch house now a fine restaurant.

The houses look like homes you would find in the downtown concord area.

Edited by C85
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

When I visited other cities including other regional cities people on their UP sites will say Charlotte doesn't have character and this and that.  BUT what they don't understand this city did not boom into this major city until late 70s early 1980s.    Case in point lets look at population on Charlotte Nashville Richmond over the years.  (Raleigh was even smaller)

All stats from Wikipedia and look at the growth and population    Who were cities in 1900 not Charlotte?  in 1900 we were the size of Harrisburg today!  Look at the sizes in 1970 then looked what happened!   (and I well aware Richmond can not extend its boundaries like Charlotte but their metro area is smaller than Raleigh's is today) Put up a Raleigh and Richmond comparison and it is even more stark and shows how NC's largest cities have grown way faster than others in the region)

I think that if someone were to tally the total number of structures demolished in Charlotte to the total number demolished in those cities, Charlotte would be far fewer.  We never had much to preserve.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the NC Medical College building (1907) turned into and added on and is now condos.  Great historical preservation uptown.  and 1st United Presbyterian Church 

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rncmedical.htm

Church is from 1894 https://fupcc.org/about-us/our-history

from my above post in 1900 Charlotte was population 18,000 and by 1910 34,000 people lived here 

IMG_9853.JPG

IMG_9856.JPG

I heard that jazz series there wasn't bad. Dinner and a concert for 20 bucks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the NC Medical College building (1907) turned into and added on and is now condos.  Great historical preservation uptown.  and 1st United Presbyterian Church 

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rncmedical.htm

Church is from 1894 https://fupcc.org/about-us/our-history

from my above post in 1900 Charlotte was population 18,000 and by 1910 34,000 people lived here 

IMG_9853.JPG

IMG_9856.JPG

So Charlotte had a medical school back in the day? What happened?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Boricua said:

So Charlotte had a medical school back in the day? What happened?

The school unfortunately only lasted 21 years.  Here is a brief history.  I would say money would have been the issue plus state support of the UNC medical school. 

https://www.cmstory.org/exhibits/robinson-spangler-north-carolina-room-image-collection-mecklenburg-image-collection/north

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not all old buildings are truly historic and not all old buildings have a lot of character.  Charlotte’s boom has been more recent and 1980s-Present is part of Charlotte history. All of the buildings in Uptown will one day be considered historic, as we are living in a truly historic era for this city. Charlotte has always been a city that looked more to the future than to the past, and I think that is mostly a good thing. We definitely should not forget the past and we have certainly demolished more history than we should have, but we are making history right now.

• Like 3