History of Charlotte

city123

Fun fact: The house on the corner of Fulton and Fisher was also designed by the same architect that designed the train station. My sister and I used to work for the family back when we were early teens. I think the family may have changed, because the home has been fixed up. I also believe it's on the home tour in Salisbury. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

1.  No

2.   MLB

3.  Only franchise Charlotte would get is Golden Arches

4. 16 (but not at the same time)

5.  Gold Bond Building Supplies

6.  Four

7.  Junior League

Truly a great watch worthy of an hour of any Charlottean much less UPer’s time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GeauxCLT said:

Truly a great watch worthy of an hour of any Charlottean much less UPer’s time.

You are all correct except for one minor point on #6 actually is was 2 mayors and 2 mayor pro tems but since Professor KJ is in a good mood WE HAVE A WINNER!  Please tell me the type of doughnuts for your 3 pack and where to deliver them.  I can not guarantee a hot doughnut delivery but they will be fresh. 

And here is one more history lesson from Old Salem in Winston Salem. 

IMG_6502 (2).JPG

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

As promised above here is Professor KJ's pop quiz on the TV presentation of Making 12 Modern Charlotte referenced above.  Congratulations to @GeauxCLT  for being the quickest on the draw with the answers.   answers in RED 

1.  Were Hugh McColl of Nationsbank Bank of America fame and Ed Crutchfield of First Union Wachovia fame good friends despite running competing banks?   no they only cooperated because they both loved Charlotte and wanted it to grow and be better.  

2.   What did Mr George Shinn want in pro sports team first?    Major league baseball and when he was in NYC they quickly showed him the door 

3.  When Mr Shinn went into the owners meeting about getting an NBA team what comment really fired him up?   George Shinn the morning of the NBA owners meetings for the presentation read a Phoenix sports writer who said famously  : the only franchise Charlotte will get is a McDonalds!   that fired Mr Shinn up going into the meeting.  

4. How many gates did the old Douglas Municipal Airport have?    12 gates but you could not park 12 planes at all the gates LOL 

5.  What major relocation did Johnny Harris work with it and it was top secret back in the day and became a major SouthPark employer?   Gold Bond which is now National Gypsum when they were relocating from Buffalo NY 

6.  How many mayors in the last 30 years came from Fourth Ward?     2 mayors Sue Myrick and Harvey Gantt and they lived 2 doors down from each other and 2 mayor pro tems 

7.  What group started along with then Nationsbank NCNB Fourth Ward redevelopment?   literally a few ladies from the Junior League 

Good luck and get to know Charlotte's modern history.  Seriously if you have not watched Making Modern Charlotte you need to and you will know how we became the city we are today. . 

• Like 2

Nice little story in March issue of Charlotte Magazine - "One Shot:  Remembering UNC Charlotte's Final Four appearance in 1977"

Maxwell on our fall 1976 cover, before a season that culminated in UNC Charlotteâs only Final Four appearance.

Fun Facts:

• Cost of a ticket in 1977 - $14
  • The UNCC men's basketball budget in 1977: $180,305.  Today:  $3.3M
  • Number of Final Four appearances in 49ers history: 1
  • Number of years Cedric Maxwell played in the NBA: 11

Link:  http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/March-2019/By-the-Numbers-Remembering-UNCCs-Final-Four-Appearance-in-1977/

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

"This picture from 1928 shows the grand opening of a new bridge across the Catawba River from Charlotte to Gaston County. The bridge was part of Wilkinson Boulevard, the first four lane paved highway in the state, which opened in 1926. Shared from Sean Baxter"

FB_IMG_1551843223489.thumb.jpg.2b711a4cfcacd59134d478b4c9afcc31.jpg

Source

Is that the bridge that's still in use?

• Thanks 1

Yep this one got moved up the "important" list of projects.  From what I have read, the construction is supposed to start either this year or early 2020.  This bridge is WOEFULLY out of date, and at times, with the potholes, I feel like my car may fall through into the Catawba!!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Yep this one got moved up the "important" list of projects.  From what I have read, the construction is supposed to start either this year or early 2020.  This bridge is WOEFULLY out of date, and at times, with the potholes, I feel like my car may fall through into the Catawba!!

Yikes I've never been over that bridge, I should take the family out there for a historical field trip before it's gone!

• Like 3

On 3/5/2019 at 11:15 PM, Nick2 said:

Yep it sure is. That's why they're planning on replacing it soon along with adding tracks for the silver line to cross the Catawba.

I love that bridge.  I know it's old and all, but I hope they keep it.  New bridges just don't look as timeless as that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, archiham04 said:

It looks from that picture that either the lake was not yet filled, or had been lowered.  It makes me wonder if the bridge was constructed because the lake would have submerged the old bridge.

Doesn't the bridge predate the dams by thirty years?

• Like 1