History of Charlotte

city123

19 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Doesn't the bridge predate the dams by thirty years?

Well there you go... must have been great planning.  I will tell myself that my thoroughly foresighted state government built the new bridge in anticipation of the higher water/lake level.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I love old postcards these are not mine but show the Barringer aka Hall House in its prime and I hope when they restore  it they place a flag at the top just like that. 

Check out the skyline this must be from the 1960s but many of those buildings are still standing along Tryon just buried amongst our tall skyline.   Skyline postcard from the south with Morehead bridge over South Blvd. area.

KJ cruising down memory lane LOL

BarringerHotelpostcard.jpg

Charlotteoldskyline1960s.jpg

and one more old Charlotte Memorial Hospital aka Carolinas Medical Center aka CMC Main aka Atrium Health Main

check out that 1960s skyline.   Remember back then we were about the same size as Richmond now 2x as big. 

Continuing to cruise down memory lane 

Charlottememorialhospital .jpg

My dad was born in that CMC building. I guess its hard to ever tear down a hospital building, and I'm sick about Charlotte tearing down old buildings, but that would be the rare exception.

• Like 4

I posted at Photo of the Day about Berryhill Street environs. The Berryhill family goes back a long time in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The Berryhill area of west Mecklenburg refers to the family long ago and in 4th Ward the Berryhill Store and Berryhill house are historic reminders of our past. The

http://landmarkscommission.org/2016/11/01/crowell-berryhill-store/

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rberryhillhse.htm

The Berryhill house was built by men who owned a bellows factory for blacksmiths and his wife ran a millinery shop. Tempus fugit

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The philanthropy building photographed at the entrance to the Hearst Building court was for many years Montaldo's, the finest women's store in the region. MANY women alive can tell you stories about Montaldo's and if you know of any of that vintage I encourage you to ask about it among them. You will be rewarded. I have one and will not tell it as it is pathetically weak, seeing as it was for women's clothes. That is your assignment: find the story. KJ: ask your mother.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

The philanthropy building photographed at the entrance to the Hearst Building court was for many years Montaldo's, the finest women's store in the region. MANY women alive can tell you stories about Montaldo's and if you know of any of that vintage I encourage you to ask about it among them. You will be rewarded. I have one and will not tell it as it is pathetically weak, seeing as it was for women's clothes. That is your assignment: find the story. KJ: ask your mother.

My mother knew of it but could not afford their clothes.  I remember even when it was open.   It was the finest store in town for clothes I think only for women if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

My mother knew of it but could not afford their clothes.  I remember even when it was open.   It was the finest store in town for clothes I think only for women if I remember correctly. 

Is the rumor true that Tryon street was once-upon-a-time nicknamed "Try On" Street, because the spouses of bankers would "try on" clothing while the banker spouses would go off trading on "trade" street?

• Haha 1

I still have my t-shirt from that event with that logo on it! I was in elementary school and took part in the free throw tutorials on the main court: 4 bounces, deep breath, arc your shot.

I was part of that too!!!!! I was 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk