History of Charlotte

city123

26 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Do not blame City Planners!!  The blame should be placed on developers and those who hold office such as City Council, Mayor, State Senate, etc.  As a City Planner myself, there's nothing more I would love to do than take these proposed developments that are submitted and change them drastically.  Unfortunately, City Planners are bound by local, state and federal laws.  If a development meets the development standards laid out in our ordinance then I have to sign off on the development.  I can make recommendations, but the developer is not required to make changes based off my recommendations.  If you want better development standards then tell your City Council Member and the Mayor.  Also vote in state elections because the people in Raleigh have a lot of say in what we can and cannot regulate.  So let me state this again because I see many people mention this often, DO NOT BLAME CITY PLANNERS! Thank you.

Does the mayor or City Council Members even know they wield such power?  Aren't they listening to you guys, and can't you say something like, "We're bound by law to approve this City Council Member, but if I were in your shoes I'd ask for.... ?

Edited original post.... The developers always want the minimum viable option that will get approved. While I can and do blame them, it really is no different then a massive corporation using every loophole to not pay taxes (or pay the very least).

It really sucks that there is no real framework in place to entice/force the developers to not put beige turds throughout the city...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jtmonk said:

Yes, they know they wield such power.  And yes, we make recommendations to them as well.  There is always dialogue between staff and the Mayor and City Council.   But then things get political and that is where many things get lost.  For instance, staff presents a text amendment to City Council for increased design standards for apartment building that states "EFIS and hardie board are no long allowed on new apartment buildings in the City".  We give our reasoning for this amendment and everyone seems to be on board until affordable housing is brought up.  It is mentioned that this requirement will lead to higher construction cost therefore higher rent. Studies are provided to back this up and now staff cannot get a majority vote to adopt the text amendment.   This is just a very shortened hypothetical situation but it gives you an idea of what we deal with.

Makes sense.... Keep up the good work. It must be frustrating.  You're the voice(s) of reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, Windsurfer said:

My dad wrote a letter to the editor in the late 50s or early 60s expressing his dismay at the relocation of the train station.  Things come full circle so many times.   I kind of remember when they moved the mint branch out to Randolph. Wasn't that in the 70s ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

This is great. I followed him the whole way and identified the route. Much of Elmwood Cemetery for some reason. Cavalier Apartments=Hall House, Carolina Theatre marquee there but inactive. Carolina Drugs (I think) is where Duckworth's is/was.

1 hour ago, NCMike1990 said:

I have an awesome find. A member over at Facebook group "Charlotte Over The Years" has posted a video of driving around Charlotte in the early 80s. It was shot in 1982 because Charlotte Plaza is wrapping up construction it looks like. I think you all should check it out because it shows construction in Fourth Ward and other cool stuff. Really awesome find and thanks to the guy who posted it. 

People could hardly stay in their lane on Kings back then too.

• 2 weeks later...

from my old Charlotte postcard  collection Monday Quiz:  what was this building and where was it located?    Hint it is was uptown. 

and the winner will get 3 pack of the finest doughnuts ever made Krispy Kreme and season tickets to the KJ Burgers UP league games. 

FullSizeR.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1