History of Charlotte

city123

46 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

That is an excellent photo from the 60's. The rail line in the left center is our current light rail ROW. There is the curve of rail that went to the downtown Southern station for passenger service that is elevated above Caldwell, all gone shortly after this. Querry-Spivey-McGee is the hardware store cat-a-corner from the Mart and was Diehl law firm and now Ally site. Pritchard church spire, YMCA and Strawn towers housing are visible on South Boulevard upper left. Tryon and South angle toward each other in the top part of the photo. Independence Boulevard, US 74, comes across from Tryon to South and makes an immediate 90º left turn and continues toward Stonewall where, out of this frame, it made a 90º right turn toward the current Midtown area. 277 would traverse this frame in the area nearly without structures in the middle ground. The two small blocks on the left that abut the rail line and have trees surrounding grass show what would have been former housing, I assume Brooklyn. Other than the structures I mention there is little that remains from the time of this photo.

Photo taken in late 1970 from the very new Jefferson First Union Tower

3 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Toz, thank you!

Hm, does the 74-Caldwell alignment explain this little elbow of Caldwell just outside 277 today?

Screenshot_20190820-131040.png

To answer more directly, no the curve in Caldwell is different.  The Caldwell curve was the result of another vestige of the era of urban renewal: public housing projects

Many are aware that the streets east of Tryon are B-C-D, Brevard, Caldwell and Davidson. Between Tryon and Brevard there once was A Street. My guess is that it was to fit into the alphabetical range long after the historical names were applied. A street is visible on this map between Tryon and Brevard at Morehead from 1935. I recall A street before 277 when the American Cleaners company had a plant and shop at Morehead and A. That company is now at 1806 Graham and serving Charlotte for 98 years (so far).

https://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/ref/collection/ncmaps/id/9432

American Cleaners history: https://americandrycleaners.net/about/

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Apparently this is how I'm spending time at work today. As I understand it, the black lines follow the original hwy 74 route from Wilkinson to Independence. I think the only hint of this routing left today is that Carson, that part of Stonewall, and Charlottetowne are all paved with concrete. 

image.thumb.png.e94240bae881e661fb451e24ebe3abec.png

There are a few more clues. The old bridge at I-77 near Wilkinson still exists. I saw some pics online a few years ago and haven’t been able to unsee them. Every time I’m over that way, that one bridge catches my eye.

This is the site where I saw the pics: http://www.gribblenation.org/2016/08/independence-boulevard-charlottes-first.html?m=1

• Thanks 4

20 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Apparently this is how I'm spending time at work today. As I understand it, the black lines follow the original hwy 74 route from Wilkinson to Independence. I think the only hint of this routing left today is that Carson, that part of Stonewall, and Charlottetowne are all paved with concrete. 

image.thumb.png.e94240bae881e661fb451e24ebe3abec.png

This is great.  Only issue is I think the section between carson and stonewall is currently called South Blvd. It doesn't change to Caldwell until it gets to Stonewall.  Does anyone have good photos of the Independence/South/Morehead intersection ca2000?  This was grade separated originally and I recall pieces of the intersection still being in place when I moved to town in 2000, but I can't confirm.

6 hours ago, lit said:

There are a few more clues. The old bridge at I-77 near Wilkinson still exists. I saw some pics online a few years ago and haven’t been able to unsee them. Every time I’m over that way, that one bridge catches my eye.

This is the site where I saw the pics: http://www.gribblenation.org/2016/08/independence-boulevard-charlottes-first.html?m=1

Wasn't that bridge recently replaced? I recall them doing some work on this exit a few months ago. 

Either way, I love "dead highways" or parts of highways. There's another dead ramp where the Encore Cadence apartments are near the Music Factory. It was abandoned well before they were constructed but would've gone right through the site if it existed today.

Edited by nakers2
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

Toz, thank you!

Hm, does the 74-Caldwell alignment explain this little elbow of Caldwell just outside 277 today?

On 8/20/2019 at 4:54 PM, archiham04 said:

To answer more directly, no the curve in Caldwell is different.  The Caldwell curve was the result of another vestige of the era of urban renewal: public housing projects

Responding to both: The slight curve in Caldwell is due to the realignment of the street. Before Independence, Brevard used to line up with South Blvd. Independence sliced everything up, and that particular dogleg of Indy lined up better with Caldwell. That's why there is a remnant segment of Caldwell just to the southeast of South Blvd in Dilworth. So, when I-277 was built, they converted Caldwell and Brevard into to a one way pair: Caldwell going north and Brevard going South between South Blvd and 12th St (and eventually tying into Parkwood in the 80s). IN 2004/5, Brevard was truncated as a through route in uptown due to the arena.  In 2007 or so, the interchange was reconfigured  to make Caldwell (mostly) 2 way in order to reconnect southbound Brevard traffic (from north of the arena) to South Blvd, and the onramp to 277 from Brevard was removed and the interchange reconfigured into its current arrangement - freeing up lots of land for development along Stonewall after the recession ended.

Side note, there's still a plan to remove the rest of the one way pair in the Center City Transportation Plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

In addition, the people in Charlotte at that time saw electricity and light bulbs for the first time, electric trolleys, automobiles, the earliest telephones and many other devices and inventions that were awe inspiring at the time though we accept them as unremarkable today. What a time.

My grandparents lived through this time (not in this state) and change was difficult for them. All four of my grandparents, b. 1869-1881,  never drove a car. My country grandfather drove only a tractor. 

• Like 4

Charlotte and this region has a done a great job preserving our old mills and factories (save for Kannapolis) but every ring city or ring town and the big QC itself has examples of textile mills.  One of my favorite outside Charlotte is the Loray Mill in Gastonia.

Plus Camp North End is saving the only auto plant ever operated in region. 

• Like 4