History of Charlotte

city123

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread for the sake of conversation. I don't have a picture handy, but I think we all know of the semi-circular office building being torn down to make way for the Spectrum development.

On the Facebook page "Charlotte Over the Years" a somewhat civil debate (surprising, I know) about Charlotte and it's "tear it down" mentality. Some are suggesting the building was architecturally significant, and should have been maintained, while others, including myself, are of the opinion that because of the fact that what's replacing it is considerably better, the demolition is justified. 

I was wondering what the forum thinks of this? Personally I think examples of that mid-80's architecture can be found in a lot of places across Charlotte, and we are kidding ourselves to compare it to the art-deco buildings destroyed to make way for parking lots in the last century. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I don't think it was of that much significance.  It was a suburban office building built there when no one was thinking about office buildings in that area so FAR out of uptown.  Obviously everything has changed and it is in the path of a much denser area.   There are a lot more significant buildings that can and should be retained over this one. 

That's exactly what I said in the comments. If this was like an 80's version of what's replacing it, I'd wonder why they're bothering to tear it down instead of just cleaning it up and adding some retail. But it's a considerably smaller, frankly poor use of the land, design with not even an employee entrance at street level. 

34 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I don't think it was worth saving. I get how people in this city have been so burned by the clearcutting that's happened here but it doesn't mean every building is worth saving just because it's not new. That building was nothing special and had no real significance.

Agreed, by your username I imagine you at least have an interest in architecture, are there any examples of 80's architecture in Charlotte that *should* be preserved? I do agree one day architecture of those moments will be looked at as tasteful and classical. I personally feel that way about 50's and 60's institutional style. When UNCC renovated the now infamous Kennedy building, which from the outside was essentially some fresh paint, pressure washing, and thicker windows, it looked a million times better than if it hadn't been touched since inception. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

This is the Thrift station and depot. It is at Tuckaseegee and Old Mt Holly Roads. Note that it is the same design as the Belmont station, though longer due to the freight, likely. The station is identical front and back and short side to short side. Doors, windows, and freight dock match, front and back.

This area is Tank Town for those who know about such things. Worth a drive to see the area of our city that involves working people and not IT and banking jobs. Many neighborhoods here with working class people and two parent families owning homes I bet. I drove through a few of them today. Nothing special, no city view. Children playing on the street as I was the only car. Well off the beaten path of our city.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_857.thumb.jpg.fc51ae6a2fdb280e4be64b67088a20e1.jpg

This old depot is beautiful. I wish something more could be done with it. Apparently they moved it across the tracks three years ago and relocated it here, which just seems like a...waste. I know it's nice that's it's still generally near its original location and by the tracks, but stuck in the middle of Tank Town, I just can't believe it's ever going to find a better purpose than just sitting empty. Even if someone were able to open it as a diner or store or something, it's location is just never going to be a draw. I wish, when they had it up on the moving truck, they could've moved it somewhere higher profile, even if just over to Freedom Drive. 

• Like 1

Another view is that removing the building from the context of the rail line removes it from its history.

I agree that some use would be helpful. The interior is without ceilings, though my through-the-window assessment is that it could serve a function quite soon. It would need plumbing and other connections for regular or daily use.

• 1 month later...

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

We have several entertainment zones in  uptown anyway around N Tryon and 5th, Music Factory even the Epicenter not sure what a city induced and developed one could do.  (anyone remember Cityfair?) 

KJ made me google "CityFair Charlotte NC" and I barely got any photos but for these couple from a Twitter post:

https://twitter.com/CLTdevelopment/status/1136676945419231238

• Haha 2

On 1/30/2019 at 11:03 AM, tarhoosier said:

I saw Bo Diddley, a love of mine as a teen, at CityFair. His band performed in the open area/food court for some reason. They played some of the set then Bo put down his guitar and slowly walked offstage while the band played on and I wondered what was happening. After a minute or two with band continuing but no Bo I went to the mens room. There was no one in there... wait I hear something in the stall. Bad sounds, someone with intestinal struggles. I bent down to see and saw the snakeskin boots. It was Bo. I said "Bo, you alright in there?" He said "I love me that chinese hot mustard but it don't love me. I be alright." I finished my work and returned to the music area and in a few minutes Bo returned to stage lifted his guitar and resumed the set.

This story was in the Carolina Theatre/Intercontinental thread a year ago

4 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

KJ made me google "CityFair Charlotte NC" and I barely got any photos but for these couple from a Twitter post:

https://twitter.com/CLTdevelopment/status/1136676945419231238

I took many of my MBA classes at UNC Charlotte at the Cityfair campus LOL before they built years later uptown building.  There was a huge food court, Fat Tuesday and retail.  The city poured millions into this mall to save uptown retail and because of then NationsBank Bank of America now the city did not lose all their money as they bought the land to develop Hearst Tower.    That is why when I hear people talking about spending city money to encourage or build retail or nightlife I get really queasy.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...