History of Charlotte

city123

Regarding the historic post of KJH on the previous page about his 90's Isuzu

In the 80's and into the '90's Isuzu had a series of ads featuring David Leisure, an actor, as the world's most pathological liar selling their cars. From the ad company of Jerry Della Femina, a famous agency known for their highly irregular campaigns, this one had real power. An unknown Japanese company had to stand out and boy-howdee, did they ever. The end of this montage has one in which he claims to have bought a tropical island with the money he saved from his Isuzu purchase and the closing line "Benu menee. Keekee bobo" was repeated in everyday conversation to indicate irony or hyperbole, it was so popular.

Joe Isuzu on Youtube has them all, a multi year series. I guess they moved the metal.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Township map of Mecklenburg County from 1911.   I was searching for this as townships were references in old Census reports and in our family history book just published.

(My Meck roots were mainly in Sharon, Providence, Pineville, Steel Creek townships)  mostly on my mom's side and all were involved in farming of some sort.

34190f99cad0f94789c69a7e62cd8649.jpg

Notice the new suburbs of Dilworth and Elizabeth, Villa Heights, North Charlotte (NoDa)

34190f99cad0f94789c69a7e62cd8649.jpg (2978×3804) (pinimg.com)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Township map of Mecklenburg County from 1911.   I was searching for this as townships were references in old Census reports and in our family history book just published.

(My Meck roots were mainly in Sharon, Providence, Pineville, Steel Creek townships)  mostly on my mom's side and all were involved in farming of some sort.

Notice the new suburbs of Dilworth and Elizabeth, Villa Heights, North Charlotte (NoDa)

34190f99cad0f94789c69a7e62cd8649.jpg (2978×3804) (pinimg.com)

RIP township of Lemley. We hardly knew yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

General question that I have not been able to find a clear cut answer to.  What is the highest point in Charlotte - geographically?  I would think it is somewhere up by Lake Norman, but there are points in southern Mecklenburg that would lead me to believe it is there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

General question that I have not been able to find a clear cut answer to.  What is the highest point in Charlotte - geographically?  I would think it is somewhere up by Lake Norman, but there are points in southern Mecklenburg that would lead me to believe it is there.

http://wxbrad.com/the-highest-point-in-charlotte-is-a-cul-de-sac/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have an elevation app on my phone I used all the time (home is 662) but there is generally upward lift the further north of Charlotte you go.  Mooresville is much higher than most of Charlotte and Troutman higher still right around 1000 feet above sea level. 

In New Orleans I got a Negative 12 feet and I was so happy!  then I quickly left for a higher elevation in Biloxi. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

This is so cool! I just recently sold my house in Derita and I grew up in Huntersville. I always called it downtown because I always drove "down south" to get to it. Knowing now that I lived very very close to the highest point in Charlotte gives me even more reason to go against the Uptown moniker!

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from Twitter 1919 map in the Charlotte O.  Notice Richmond is mentioned  why because  it was over 3 times bigger than Charlotte.  Now look at us now and Raleigh metro is now bigger than Richmond metro.  But back in 1919 it was quite different.

No love for Spencer, the actual railroad center :silly:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The untold history of Sugar Creek.  I was up near NoDa where the creek flows in what looks like a ditch but the creek starts north of that some say behind the car dealership at N Tryon and Eastway,

Little Sugar: The creek the city loved to hate | Keeping Watch

Great article!  Thanks.  

• Like 3

Just a note about taking the ford*: One needs an approach and departure that are solid ground, not rocky, nor muddy in wet weather, nor too much slope on either side. Some animals are not suitable for fording as they follow their instinct to stay away from current. Even with these issues addressed the driver must caulk his wagon securely lest the water damage the load. Keep the oxen or horses in water no deeper than knee high if at all possible. If a single person is driving then leaving the wagon and leading the animals is best practice. Higher water risks loss of the animal and thus the wagon and thus the load. If one is transporting a wagon of tobacco which represents much of a year of work this is of utmost importance. 

How many of you reading this would willingly cross a river in buckskin and woolens, antique shoes, stepping across on slippery rocks, perhaps in the dark or with muddy flow obscuring the bottom, even using a pole as a third point of contact, water flowing past you, rising to mid thigh, 30º temperature. (I see no hands raised.)

*various internet sites about historic travel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Just a note about taking the ford*: One needs an approach and departure that are solid ground, not rocky, nor muddy in wet weather, nor too much slope on either side. Some animals are not suitable for fording as they follow their instinct to stay away from current. Even with these issues addressed the driver must caulk his wagon securely lest the water damage the load. Keep the oxen or horses in water no deeper than knee high if at all possible. If a single person is driving then leaving the wagon and leading the animals is best practice. Higher water risks loss of the animal and thus the wagon and thus the load. If one is transporting a wagon of tobacco which represents much of a year of work this is of utmost importance. 

How many of you reading this would willingly cross a river in buckskin and woolens, antique shoes, stepping across on slippery rocks, perhaps in the dark or with muddy flow obscuring the bottom, even using a pole as a third point of contact, water flowing past you, rising to mid thigh, 30º temperature. (I see no hands raised.)

*various internet sites about historic travel

I've usually died of dysentery before I get to ford any rivers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3