History of Charlotte

city123

• 4 weeks later...

2 hours ago, turbocraig said:

A great synopsis of how Charlotte got to here from there.  

In that vein, here's a 1968 promotional film with narration by our local son Charles Kuralt, and music by Loonis McGlohon.  There are some nice scenes of the city throughout, but it's definitely a sales pitch and not a documentary. 

• Like 3

"...my family has been in America since 1635 and in NC since the early 1700s.  ..."    Sounds like much longer if you're descended from a Native American. ;-)

Similar situation here. My mom's side (Furr) came from "The Canton of Zurich" in the 1740s.  There's a monument near Dutch Buffalo Creek in Cabarrus County dedicated to the Furrs. (Originally Furrer). The monument mistakenly says, "Germany" but there was no Germany then. In fact, it was Zurich, Switzerland.  Perhaps yours are from that vicinity?  There was a migration in the 1730s-40s from the Zurich area.  I actually found a letter in the archives in Zurich written buy "Heinrich Furrer" in which he promoted the wonderful planting in what is now Cabarrus Count. I guess it was part of Anson at the time.

We also have some Native American too. Actually a Tuscarora Chief.

Great photos!  You have some serious roots in this area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

Some of my ancestors also immigrated from Switzerland in the early 1700's to the Lexington, SC area.  Some of them ended up joining some crazy religious cult, the Weber Heresy.  Luckily, my ancestors were just the henchmen and were banished to Georgia, but the Webers weren't so lucky.

https://patch.com/south-carolina/lexington-sc/lexington-religious-cult-murders-prominent-pardoned-by-governor

Yes!  There was a small migration from Switzerland through Charleston too. There was a town, not sure if this was it, where they soon discovered the water wasn't very good, and the insects (mosquitoes) were overwhelming. I've been kind of curious through the years as to the location.

The interesting thing we found with our family my moms side came via NY to Charlotte region.  My dad's family arriving mainly in VA migrated down to the green pastures of Chatham County.  Many of my  family came in at the Boston port but moved south to NY or Philly soon thereafter.  Interesting none of people migrated through Charleston.  

7 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

Some of my ancestors also immigrated from Switzerland in the early 1700's to the Lexington, SC area.  Some of them ended up joining some crazy religious cult, the Weber Heresy.  Luckily, my ancestors were just the henchmen and were banished to Georgia, but the Webers weren't so lucky.

https://patch.com/south-carolina/lexington-sc/lexington-religious-cult-murders-prominent-pardoned-by-governor

Don't worry we discovered some interesting stories to say the least but I have to say you have to buy the book to read it LOL.   Georgia has its roots as a penal colony with Savannah first as the English decided to put the bad people in Georgia as a buffer between the Spanish of La Florida and the English settlements in the Carolinas. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thomas Polk lived where Presbyterian/Novant is now and close to the Sugar Creek for stock watering and perhaps for human water use, idk. Access to water is powerful draw to settlement, note Hezekiah Alexander House, Latta  House and others extant. Trade and Tryon is good for transportation and trade but settlement, less so. That first courthouse had, as the description says, space under the building for a market. Also shelter for animals and people from sun and rain and weather of all types. 

Bladen is known as the "Mother County" as all or parts of 55 of the 100 counties were at one time Bladen. Elizabethtown is seat of Bladen on Cape Fear.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

City Cemetery in Elizabethtown  overlooks the Cape Fear River, for now. Due to soil saturation and unstable sub strata land slip is disturbing graves and leading to loss of cemetery land and collapse of cemetery into river bank.

https://bladenonline.com/over-5-million-dollars-in-approved-funding-to-save-elizabethtown-cemetery/

This is now a Bladen County feed of micro Urban issues.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:11 PM, KJHburg said:

saw this on another social media site from August 25, 1957 the new Cowans Ford Lake aka Lake Norman when it was first announced!  

May be an image of map

I've always wondered if there are pictures of the river in all the northern counties before it was dammed to make way for Lake Norman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes a Camelot, waldenbooks, Fat Tuesday, Benneton, Z Gallerie etc.  It was quite the place but then Belks disappeared for the construction of the Bank of America Corp Center and it was bad timing.  The city invested a good bit in this but I think when Bank of America bought the block or most of it for then Hearst Tower they recouped most of the money.  The food court was really busy.  Later I attending my MBA classes on the 3rd floor of Cityflop I mean Cityfair. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Happy Meck Dec Day!

Here is the history behind it

https://www.meckdec.org/declaration

So on Instagram, Queen City Nerve posted this.  Now I'm second guessing if we are celebrating it for all the wrong reasons!  Anyone have a second opinion on this opinion from QCNerve?

https://qcnerve.com/opinion-mecklenburg-declaration-independence/

6 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

So on Instagram, Queen City Nerve posted this.  Now I'm second guessing if we are celebrating it for all the wrong reasons!  Anyone have a second opinion on this opinion from QCNerve?

https://qcnerve.com/opinion-mecklenburg-declaration-independence/

You could rewrite that article and swap out mec dec day with July the 4th. 

• Like 1