History of Charlotte

city123

On 8/5/2021 at 1:24 PM, NCMike1990 said:

1968 around Charlotte. From this short documentary on the Piedmont Crescent.

36-38: Construction of I-85 at U.S. 29 in Concord

1556383711_Screenshot(115).thumb.png.bb0c68325fa3a77ffce5da8f6d6dcb0d.png1351196509_Screenshot(114).thumb.png.25317b8b816a93bcdc2462ad16ffb9c3.png185943492_Screenshot(113).thumb.png.6f1a35b96106bb8fdea1ff185ac27188.png

How long had this part of 29 been built when these pics were taken?  The original route followed the two lane road on the far right and went through downtown Kannapolis before being bypassed by the four lane section.  Looks like pretty fresh pavement all the way into Concord.

• Like 2

I am old enough to remember and have been in all these places.  On the golf course at Ballantyne resort course,  shopping in its prime at Eastland, visiting and attending UNCC at Cityfair and attending games and concerts like U2 at the old Charlotte Coliseum.

Here and gone: When major buildings don't even make it to middle age | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Upon reflection my Philadelphia flight memory was for travel on a DeHavilland. Dash 7 I believe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Canada_Dash_7

No checked luggage since there was no place to check it. Toss it into the rear compartment. No toilet, no pressurization. Driving was a real option compared to flights such as this.

My Fokker experience must have been from Charlotte. No one can forget the name of that aircraft. Historic, museum quality equipment which are still flying today though not  scheeduled major airlines which was the case in the past.

• Thanks 1

Story about a banker in World Trade Center 9/11/2001 and how he is escaped.

Here’s the story of a Charlotte survivor of the 9/11 attacks | Charlotte Observer

on a personal note I was about as far as way and still be in the country that fateful morning.  I had just landed around 4 am EST in Fairbanks Alaska on my first trip to the largest of these United States. 

I have met several people who decided to move away from NYC metro after 9/11 to the Charlotte area including a man I met who was also in the WTC that morning.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Story about a banker in World Trade Center 9/11/2001 and how he is escaped.

Here’s the story of a Charlotte survivor of the 9/11 attacks | Charlotte Observer

on a personal note I was about as far as way and still be in the country that fateful morning.  I had just landed around 4 am EST in Fairbanks Alaska on my first trip to the largest of these United States. 

I have met several people who decided to move away from NYC metro after 9/11 to the Charlotte area including a man I met who was also in the WTC that morning.  

One of my professors at UNC Charlotte, Cynthia Bush, worked in NYC during the attacks (can't remember if she worked in the WTC or one of the adjacent buildings).  I believe she happened to be taking her kids to school when it happened....her family was not affected, but they knew many people through work and kids' school who were not so lucky.  Great professor, if anyone ever has the chance to talk to her or take any of her finance classes, do it because you will not regret it.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, nakers2 said:

Photo from my grandpa’s house. Former CFD firefighter and captain. This is now the Domino’s pizza and Devils Logic brewing on 4th street. He doesn’t recall when the picture was taken but likely the 60’s. He is the firefighter to the left with his back facing the camera.

65E2770F-EA7D-493A-9939-8E0F2B06F0DE.jpeg

E. 4th St..png

• Like 4

More of the history of 9-11-2001 as seen through the eyes of people now living in Charlotte.

a NY firefighter now in Charlotte who worked on the pile

This Charlotte fire marshal was a 9/11 firefighter in NY | Charlotte Observer

a Charlotte based pilot who landed one of the last commercial planes on that day in Gander NF

This 9/11 U.S. Airways pilot was the last to land in Gander | Charlotte Observer

My friend was a young pilot with CC Air a commuter affliate on US Air and he was down in Greenville Spartanburg.  He just help a handicapped woman in a wheelchair into the small plane when he got the No Fly order.  He then had to carefully help her back out.

I was in Alaska as noted above and I have driven from Fairbanks across the state to Anchorage where I had a ticket out 9/18.  Flying  resumed at this point but the scene was chaotic inside the Anchorage airport.  All of these people were trying to get back to the lower 48  and lots of people were carrying guns (as it was hunting season)  I heard someone talking about renting a car in Anchorage and driving the Alaksan Highway back to Seattle a multiday trip at best.  Because my ticket was for 9/18 I was able to get on with no problem and the flight was completely full back to Salt Lake (flew Delta).  SLC was less busy but then on my flight back to Atlanta the flight was about half full mainly people coming back from Hawaii and far away points.  By the time I got back to Atlanta then and now the busiest airport in the world it was deserted.   a few airline employees and a handful and I mean handful of passengers.  It was very eerie and surreal.  I had a good time in Alaska but there was a dark cloud over the whole trip but the fantastic scenery including the northern lights really helped (and the very nice people) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok...  maybe Irene wasn't the first, but she was pretty damn busy that day. .."Hundreds of people crowded The Open Kitchen because owner Steve Kokenes had promised to sell mixed drinks for 5 cents until his five cases of alcohol were gone."

A well-written, deep-dive article on the politics of how it all came to pass. ..

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/how-charlotte-got-liquored-up/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1