History of Charlotte

city123

This is A.O. and Dorothy Steele walking down Tryon St. You can see the Ivey's sign in the background. He was a professor at JCSU and she taught in the public school system. They're collection is housed in the archives of JCSU and can also be found here: http://library.jcsu.edu/digitalsmith.html

Some other images that mostly deal with JCSU can be found on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23167301@N03/ A lot of it is the campus which fortunately didn't tear everything down every 20 years.

post-7148-033441800 1276615371_thumb.jpg

I have really enjoyed seeing these old pictures of Charlotte. I threw together one of my "then & now" photos showing one of my favorite places to go as a kid. My grandparents lived right behind the ballpark and I use to love standing outside the fence between 2nd & 3rd bases waiting for the inevitable over-the-fence home run ball.

As most of you know, the ballpark burned in 1985 and never rebuilt. The red line on each photo signifies the same corner in both photos for perspective.

4704609638_030b3b391f_b.jpg

Great photos. I've seen most of them before, but it's always nice to see them again. Below is an even older photo taken in 1873 at the Square by the photographer, Rufus Morgan. The white house on the far right was the home of Charlotte founder Thomas Polk, although it had been moved from its original location. It was the first house in Charlotte made out of treated lumber instead of logs and the house General Cornwallis had lived in while the British occupied Charlotte during the Revolutionary War.

scan0023.jpg