History of Charlotte

city123

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

After reading The Wright Brothers by David McCullough it is clear that Dayton has an important claim to the origin of powered flight. North Carolina provided the essential weather and isolated location. 

Excellent book. AND, off topic, but he also showed how much their sister helped. She deserves a lot of credit.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

How our namesake Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg spead the use of Christmas trees.   (no wonder Christmas Town USA is located right outside of Charlotte)

https://greensboro.com/news/state-and-regional/how-charlotte-s-namesake-brought-christmas-trees-to-the-english-speaking-world/article_a71f4e25-e31a-580b-aa93-e540be21e664.html

• Like 2

10 new buildings put on local historical status including home in Dilworth and Chadborn Mill in NoDa.

10 Historic Sites in Charlotte Protected in 2021 - Charlotte Magazine

Complete list of structures around Meck county

Designated Historic Landmarks | Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This castle, that was never completed, rose in the Charlotte suburbs.    who remembers this and where it was and what purpose was it going to serve?   Hint it was south of the border. 

May be an image of outdoors

Ahhhh yes. The Baker's failed amusement park.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 6:17 AM, rancenc said:

From a recent episode of "Carolina Impact".  Not necessarily in Charlotte geographically but regionally and also a reminder this area's history goes back thousands of years!

Well worth the trip out.  I've read several sources that estimated the Native American population for what constitutes NC was between 2-3 million before Euros arrived.  Many places around Charlotte were old village sites. I remember finding dozens of arrowheads around South Mecklenburg High back in the 60s when my dad and I used to walk around in the woods that used to be there.  I once dug up a cache of tools near where Beverly Woods Elementary School is now.  Thanks for the link. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

My brother found this the grand opening of Park Road Shopping Center.  My parents went on one of their first dates here as it was such a novelty a big shopping center away from uptown  that had all these stores and parking.  This was Charlotte's first suburban shopping center. 

image0 (4).jpeg

I read in The Observer several years ago that it was the first strip mall in The Southeast too.

Do you remember the old decorative stonework that was suspended at about every 150 feet?  One day one of them collapsed on a little boy killing him instantly. That must've been around 1967-8

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

I read in The Observer several years ago that it was the first strip mall in The Southeast too.

Do you remember the old decorative stonework that was suspended at about every 150 feet?  One day one of them collapsed on a little boy killing him instantly. That must've been around 1967-8

that must have been before my time I dont remember that. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From @tarhoosierin the CATS thread (I think):

"Third Street station now is where cotton warehouses and cotton factors gathered during the season. Loading and unloading bales, testing, sampling for quality and dealmaking with credit and sales to move product onward. The cotton market as it is called in this book. See page 29 of the pdf of this book: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/gdc/scd0001/2010/20100114006ch/20100114006ch.pdf

I say, take a look at page 50, for some perspective.

• Like 1