History of Charlotte

city123

22 minutes ago, drumsy said:

Does anyone have any information on this abutment found off of N Tryon St next to the Mallard Creek Greenway?

Google Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/TALRo9NPj6uUpJF2A

I've found the opposing abutment through old aerial imaging.  This was demolished when Cookout was built.

Could this have been the route to Salisbury pre-US 29?

KJ has posted pics of that from the Greenway and he said it was the old bridge over Mallard Creek for 29.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I think I've seen this posted before. I believe it was maybe an old railway spur or something like that?

I posted the same question many years ago but could not locate the post.  It's always bugged me what that was so perhaps this is the opportunity for some closure.

4 hours ago, drumsy said:

I posted the same question many years ago but could not locate the post.  It's always bugged me what that was so perhaps this is the opportunity for some closure.

It was the old road US 29 abutment crossing Mallard Creek that  you can see near the Cookout from the greenway. 

• Like 1

What's the history of Runnymede Ln?  I've always thought some of the intersections were unusual, notably Barclay Downs Dr.  By looking at the powerlines and tree lines, it looks like Runnymede originally turned into Barclay Downs Dr heading south, and Sagamore Rd heading west.  Also looks like maybe it originally continued straight into Brandywine Rd?  

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 10:38 AM, nicholas said:

What's the history of Runnymede Ln?  I've always thought some of the intersections were unusual, notably Barclay Downs Dr.  By looking at the powerlines and tree lines, it looks like Runnymede originally turned into Barclay Downs Dr heading south, and Sagamore Rd heading west.  Also looks like maybe it originally continued straight into Brandywine Rd?  

Check out https://www.historicaerials.com/viewerThere used to be a four-way intersection at Runnymeade/Sagamore/Barclay Downs.

image.thumb.png.1cf5219de3e167bc37df2dc81d0491b3.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2022 at 10:38 AM, nicholas said:

I used to rent one of the houses on Runnymede near Selwyn.  The story we heard from some neighbors was that our landlord had purchased the homes soon after Fairfax had been widened and extended to Barclay Downs as a part of the NCDOT #4 road project.  It got me curious and I looked into the history and found that Fairfax originally looped into Selwyn twice as a contained little development .  Fairfax connected down to woodlawn, and what is now Michael Baker continued down to Barclay Downs.

http://maps.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/historicmaps/

image.thumb.png.68b6475a225a17fb4eaf9847bb217b3c.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This could have been posted in the South End High Rise thread as well but seems fitting to be posted here.  On the Historic District Commission Agenda for next Wednesday the 12th is a plan to move the Leeper store from South Blvd to the corner of E Worthington and Cleveland Ave. While there are many moving parts and hurdles to jump through (HDC approval, Landmarks Commission approval, actually moving the building) it's good to see this building potentially being saved.
https://charlottenc.gov/planning/HistoricDistricts/Documents/HDC_Cases_2022_2022-00596.pdf
http://up-bucket-0.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2022_10/image.thumb.png.246bb9872621a154d72620ee585c8d33.png

I’m seriously so excited for this project! I really am hopeful the HDC will like this proposal - I think since the concept involves preserving a historic landmark I feel they would be open to it.
  • Like 3

I know this has been done with many of our other historic buildings in the past but not in a while by my memory. With this and the Nebel Mill tower it is good to see a greater focus on preserving our historic buildings rather than just destroying them. That is a perfect location for this building, like a missing puzzle piece.

• Like 4

I assume they will re-use the bricks to retain the exterior after the building is moved. The current windows are not original. 

Yeah, likely there would be a historical brick repair company to repair/replace the brick in the modified portions and all the windows would be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

image.png.d20c9b8dde16d3146f6d552eeeb80dbe.png

Wow! what is (or should I say, was) this building?

I do believe that is the former Independence Building that was demolished in the early 80's to make way for the current Independence Center and Marriott City Center on the NW of the corner of Trade and Tryon.  @KJHburg would probably be able to confirm this information.

• Like 2