History of Charlotte

city123

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a view of the old city hall way back when it was on North Tryon and most recently the City Hall was on East Trade where some city offices are now.  These old postcards are great. 

https://www.cardcow.com/viewall/64575/

Here is the old old City Hall of course torn down I think it was on N Tryon near where the main library was or maybe one block south. https://www.cardcow.com/203748/city-hall-charlotte-north-carolina/

Awesome, tnx. It looks like 600 East Trade was used for a long time and unlike the 1905 city hall on Tryon, it's still there and used for city offices today. https://www.cardcow.com/256466/city-hall-charlotte-north-carolina/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Al Rousso's Jewelry store (Brownlee Jewelers) at the square. Also Binaco pawn shop. Al was mayor (pro tem) for a while. Some of the last of the Southern remnants in business.

Is binaco related to the company of the same name that owns or owned a lot of the buildings around 5th and Tryon, and is currently developing the "B Tower" on fifth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

That cluster of buildings between Caldwell and the railroad tracks remained almost intact until the Arena Demo.  Arena was the right call, but that row had just had a new breath of life just before they were leveled. What a shame.

Thats where the original Carpe Diem was :-(. I went there years and years ago back when it was cool to wear turtle necks.

5 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Have this on the wall in our office. I believe it's from 1992. Taken by Aerial Photography Service. Not sure if they're still around but they had a ton of shots from the ages.

1992.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. It's nice to see an old aerial photo of Charlotte that's higher quality. Kind of looks like a photograph you'd find in a modern day Clear Sky Images photo album. Some parking lots still exist today, but most from that pic are gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Have this on the wall in our office. I believe it's from 1992. Taken by Aerial Photography Service. Not sure if they're still around but they had a ton of shots from the ages.

1992.jpg

I do see the old CityFair shopping complex just to the right of the Bank of America Corporate Center under construction!

• Like 3

Wow. Flashbacks. One of my earliest memories is when I was 2-3 years old from that building. I vaguely remember running down the halls in that old warehouse. That was around 1961-2. Myy dad bought the company he was working for (which rented in that warehouse) and moved briefly into what is now The Thirsty Beaver where he turned brake rotors for a while. He latched onto some good product lines and built the building where Viking Imports is on Central. From there we bought and moved into what is now Cedar Hill, ironically a building of the same vintage as the one pictured above. This is a wonderful thread for us old time Charlotteans. Thanks.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2017 at 1:58 PM, tozmervo said:

I had to swing by the CLT Government Center earlier today and it got me wondering, did Charlotte ever have a "City Hall"? Plaques at the GC said it opened in 1989, where was the center of the city government before then?

The cornerstone was laid in 1989, the building opened later than that.

On 4/18/2017 at 3:04 PM, tozmervo said:

Awesome, tnx. It looks like 600 East Trade was used for a long time and unlike the 1905 city hall on Tryon, it's still there and used for city offices today. https://www.cardcow.com/256466/city-hall-charlotte-north-carolina/

The building at 600 E Trade is called Old City Hall, and a couple of City departments are there (Housing & Neighborhood Services and Economic Development). It was where all city government employees were located until the early 90s when the CMGC was finished. It's worth noting that there was an "annex" or additional structure located on the back side of the building in the grassy area that now fronts E 4th St, so the available square footage for offices was much larger than today. It's a nice building, but nothing beats the original city hall. I wish that they still build government buildings like that one.

On 8/8/2017 at 3:08 PM, 11 HouseBZ said:

Wow, look at all of those shops on Trade! Shame they couldn't have been saved. Could the arena not of gone anywhere besides there. Any of those parking lots could of worked, right? 

Nah, don't be ridiculous. It would be so lame for Charlotte to sacrifice unnecessary parking lots when there are perfectly good historic buildings that need to be torn down.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^I had my MBA program at the Cityflop I mean Cityfair at UNCC campus there. Another photo from the KJ vault of old QC photos. Parking where the current Spectrum Arena is but I had to check with my Charlotte native friend about that warehouse which was along the rail line . What a great renovation of creative office space that warehouse could have been.   Charlotte in Sept 1981. 3 of the tallest buildings in town at the time were in this photo I see the NCNB Plaza, First Union Plaza and old Wachovia Center (white building on S Tryon)

FullSizeRender (13).jpg

Ha...all three cars have vinyl tops and I think that far blue one is an old Chrysler Cordoba with "corinthian leather" :lol:

pic source: Curbside Classic

ricardo-montalban-chrysler-cordoba-ad.jpg

• Like 3