Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MTSUBlueraider86

Federal Courthouse

10 posts in this topic

Is anyone else still curious to if and when this will ever get built? The 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10 avenue side of downtown north of Broadway is ripe for redevelopment.

SEC

They have apparently done some redesign. It looks much improved from the original renderings. The facades have more asymmetry and detail. Looks a lot more like a Michael Graves design.

FedCourthouse.jpg

Friends,

The shape of the building, as seen via this model, suggests the southwest quadrant of the site will remain untouched so as to allow the Berger Building to stay. I surely hope so.

William Williams

I wish I were a s positive as ESU, but I think the Berger Building will come down unfortunately, especially since the back of the building is not in good repair and would impede on the landscaping and landscape architecture surrounding the courthouse.

SEC

According to the Nashville City Paper, the Federal Courthouse may start construction by next year.

Nashville currently sits at No. 2 on the Judicial Conference’s five-year plan of ready-to-build courthouses; we’re set to receive our $173 million in federal funds next year.

This would be another notable landmark for the downtown district. The redesign, as shown above, is a tremendous improvement over the initial plans. It retains a look of classicism through the use of durable materials on the facade and classical elements such as a dome. And although only seven floors, each floor should have a 20' ceiling to accomodate courtrooms, making the total height about 170' +/- including rooftop equipment housing, etc.

It will stand out.

I've always wondered if this forum's critism of the original design for the Federal Courthouse may have had something to do with the positive changes shown in more recent renderings. Who knows?

I've always wondered if this forum's critism of the original design for the Federal Courthouse may have had something to do with the positive changes shown in more recent renderings. Who knows?

PHofKS,

I'm glad you mention this because I recently saw an architect from the Brentwood firm assisting Michael Graves on this project. He said no recent renderings or changes.

Thoughts?

WW/ESU

PHofKS,

I'm glad you mention this because I recently saw an architect from the Brentwood firm assisting Michael Graves on this project. He said no recent renderings or changes.

Thoughts?

WW/ESU

The original renderings were heavily criticised on the board, and rightfully so as something that resembled a bland, chain hotel or hospital.

Courthouse.jpg

Later renderings show significant, and very much improved, changes to the facade design. These are what I refer to as recent changes, although I don't know how recent they are.

FedCourthouse.jpg

This is so much better than the initial presentation.

PHofKS,

YES, much better. Still not what it should be for that level of project, location, symbolic significance, etc. But a nice improvement.

WW