Federal Courthouse

MTSUBlueraider86

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

According to the Nashville City Paper, the Federal Courthouse may start construction by next year.

Nashville currently sits at No. 2 on the Judicial Conference’s five-year plan of ready-to-build courthouses; we’re set to receive our $173 million in federal funds next year.

This would be another notable landmark for the downtown district. The redesign, as shown above, is a tremendous improvement over the initial plans. It retains a look of classicism through the use of durable materials on the facade and classical elements such as a dome. And although only seven floors, each floor should have a 20' ceiling to accomodate courtrooms, making the total height about 170' +/- including rooftop equipment housing, etc.

It will stand out.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always wondered if this forum's critism of the original design for the Federal Courthouse may have had something to do with the positive changes shown in more recent renderings. Who knows?

PHofKS,

I'm glad you mention this because I recently saw an architect from the Brentwood firm assisting Michael Graves on this project. He said no recent renderings or changes.

Thoughts?

WW/ESU

PHofKS,

I'm glad you mention this because I recently saw an architect from the Brentwood firm assisting Michael Graves on this project. He said no recent renderings or changes.

Thoughts?

WW/ESU

The original renderings were heavily criticised on the board, and rightfully so as something that resembled a bland, chain hotel or hospital.

Courthouse.jpg

Later renderings show significant, and very much improved, changes to the facade design. These are what I refer to as recent changes, although I don't know how recent they are.

FedCourthouse.jpg

This is so much better than the initial presentation.

Archived