Build More of These Downtown

grock

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think the ability to construct buildings like that has been lost in time. We don't have the skilled labor or stone to do that anymore. Also sad to think of how many brownstones were torn down for parking lots in the past 50 years. Parts of those brownstone edifices are being used as retaining walls in the suburbs now.

problem is that these things would be a fortune to build now a days.

the materials are nuts, and in order to get the charm, you need the materials.

my brick 3 family in hartford has a replacement value (according to the insurance company) of ~750K

it cost me less than 300k

I bet the brownstones would cost closer to a million to replace since the stone is harder to find than bricks (old looking bricks)

I think we need some modern housing for sale. brand new condos downtown, even if they were townhome style, brand new and for sale would do well

But let me add... The corner of capital and Broad would be a great place.

mind you that parking lot would be a great place of ANYTHING!!!!!

I would ideally like to see an 8 story building there with ground floor retail all along it.

well if we are really talking about building brownstone replicas in an area to create a nice asthetic feel, I vote for the charter oak area and coltsville.

there are pleny of locations, and the scale is appropriate. the thing is that this is almost what the state has done with the old projects.

all that would need to happen was to fill in the area more and create a street scape that did not revolve around parking lots.

the CLP lots, pus the candy cane lots plus the coltsville area lots and finally the capewell land all lined with townhomes would create a very cozy area. and would be of an appropriate scale for the most part anyways.

mind you I still much prefer 4-6 story buildings for this area.... but whatever

Archived