Omni Hotel/Convention Center hotel/24 stories/800 rooms/complete

MTSUBlueraider86

This makes it look 500' tall, to me. I dunno, jury is still out. I'm not impressed by the rendering, and we all know how renders versus actual product are...

EDIT: High res images on NBJ here http://www.bizjourna...s=image_gallery

The NBJ article provides a larger and clearer look. I think it will be what was "announced" earlier (I can't remember will have to go back and find) at around 260ft. If you count the floors on the rendering I think there are 26 floors. So I am guessing 250-300 ft with 300 on the very high end/will be surprised. Nothing excited height wise but 260 will provide some infill. Glad to hear about possible street activity too!

edit: Yup, 260 ft. Better than nothing I guess!! Unless it is just stupendously ugly. tongue.gif

Edited by timmay143

Not all too impressive, and its utilitarian but functional. It will be nice infill. 260 foot infill, but its better than nothing. I guess they did not want a building hiding the view of the Bellsouth et.al. in the CDB. 260 feet is still large for Nashville.

BR

I will say that a building that wide is as much impressive as if it were to be taller. That is a large wall of glass. Impressive after looking at the high resolution picture.

BR

• 2 months later...

Miss you Dave! Send me your email. The one I have keeps getting returned as a bad address.

I hope you can come back to a meet soon.

Yes, groundbreaking on Thursday! 278 feet is the new height. I am looking forward to more cranes in the sky. This will be 58 feet taller than Encore. Although not near as tall as the Pinnacle, still impressive to say the least. Yes Dave, I am diggin' the steel work at the MCC as well. Hope you are doing well.

BR

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Its actually the second parking level. I had forgotten about that camera until yesterday as I was walking past the site. There will be a ton of work going on over there if both proposed hotels plus the CC hotel and Sobro all rise at the same time, not to mention the work on KVB. Definatly need to avoid driving in that area for sure.

Here is the link for those of you that hate going back through pages and pages to hunt for something

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/clarkconstruction/nashvilleconventioncenter

You may be correct that is the first level. I thoght they had gotten farther than that.

I think it's the 2nd level. If you look just above Encore but closer to CMHOF there are what appear to be triangular (ramp) supports going up to about the same level where they are building the 2nd (?) level parking deck.

This project is a bit disappointing in the fact they had an opportunity to have a killer building with striking design, and we end up getting another box.

That's true, but the fact that the taxpayers of Nashville don't have to pay for the Omni as they would have the Marriott is a big plus in my book. Hopefully there will be a lot of activity at street level. I just wish it was taller. It will look super squatty due to being in that hole in downtown and the fact that from the south it will look really wide.

I called this from the beginning. 250-300 feet maximum with average cladding, post suburban design, and a safe theme. You can still build cutting edge architecture with public funds, but the point is made. With this being Omni money, they should have gone 600 feet with a stunning contemporary modern design, but instead they see it as Nashville, and the great unwashed tourists would not get it if it were not a neo-monolithic box. The Snodgrass Tower not withstanding.

• 2 months later...

Is this a misprint? Should be 800 not 600 rooms, correct?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120226/NEWS01/120226006/-1/7daysarchives/Nashville-s-hotel-boom-expected-continue

The $585 million convention center will bring so many visitors when it opens in 2013 that the adjacent 21-story, 600-room Omni Hotel, currently under construction, will not accommodate the demand, he said.

The Tennessean has not had a fact checking department in decades. Yes, they are wrong as usual. The hotel will have 800 rooms and from what I have been told by several people, the hotel is 26-28 stories at 267-280 feet. That is also coming from William who has spoken with the spokeswoman at Omni Hotels.

Several construction workers on site told me the hotel was 2 down and 28 up which means two floors of underground parking and 28 above the street level. Now whether that is correct, remains to be seen. They can easily get 800 rooms on 21 floors, but if Omni told William 267-280 feet it makes perfect sense it,s a 26-28 story building. If this were an office building, that would be a building over 400 feet.

Unfortunately Nashville is not a city known for height. I prefer buildings over 300 feet in the downtown core as to maximize space, so this building regardless of height will be a nice piece of infill. Yes, this building should have been 30+ stories at over 400 feet to save space and reduce the carbon footprint, so no, I don't not like it, but we will have to live with it.

• 1 month later...

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2012/4/19/omni_tops_100000_reservations

Can somone please explain the 'reservations' vs. 'room nights'? I gather this is a positive article, but I have read several previous articles discussing Nashville's goal of having 1 million + "room nights". Are we above the 600k (last article I saw)?

Simply put you might have a reservation at the hotel and that counts as one. Your reservation might be for 3'days so that is 3 room nights. Taxes, etc. are collected off of room nights ( or actual stays) so when the CVB states they have 600,000 room nights booked, that is how the City equates revenues generated. And yes they are above the 600,000 mark with a goal of 1,000,000 when the hotel opens late in 2013.