Omni Hotel/Convention Center hotel/24 stories/800 rooms/complete

MTSUBlueraider86

Good video, but does not do a thing to change my opinion. Still very very bland, and a wasted opportunity. The end of the video, where it pans away from the building at night, it gets lost.

I think a new hotel that gets built nearby in the next 5 years or so, would (could) easily outshine this box. There are already some new stunning hotels built in other cities. Even Alex Palmer's concept for the ICH at the Summit from 6 years ago was far more edgy looking.

I just have to disagree. Yes, it could be a more exciting design, but I think this is going to do a lot when it comes to street activation in this area. I didn't realize there were two restaurants, a coffee shop and a nightlife-oriented bar there.

The design isn't incredibly edgy or exciting, but I'm okay with it right now. It's still an interesting addition to the skyline with its large illuminated sign up top, and it has enough architectural features to keep it visually interesting.

• Like 1

The street activation will be great, the design is not great. I cringe thinking about the hotel design for WES being placed here (cringing becuase I loved that design think it is perfect for SOBRO).

All in all, I know it was a fight to even build this convention center in this economy, and I'll take this design over a downtown surface parking lot any day.

• Like 1

I just have to disagree. Yes, it could be a more exciting design, but I think this is going to do a lot when it comes to street activation in this area. I didn't realize there were two restaurants, a coffee shop and a nightlife-oriented bar there.

The design isn't incredibly edgy or exciting, but I'm okay with it right now. It's still an interesting addition to the skyline with its large illuminated sign up top, and it has enough architectural features to keep it visually interesting.

I agree. It's not a fabulous design...but it's really not bad for a hotel (I think most non-historic hotels tend to have a more blah design -- so I'm not going to hold it to office building standard like I do with 505CST, which I like).

The inside is modern and clean...with enough decoration to not be bland, but not too much to make it look cluttered or overdone. I would be quite satisfied if the interior turned out like the video.

One suggestion I would make to them is to make the live music bar a little less modern...what gives the bars on Lower Broad their character is their gritty sort of interior. Put up an old brick wall, leave the metal exposed in the interior...in other words...don't dress it up. Make it look more like a dive than a snazzy cocktail bar. That is, if they are going for the authentic.

One suggestion I would make to them is to make the live music bar a little less modern...what gives the bars on Lower Broad their character is their gritty sort of interior. Put up an old brick wall, leave the metal exposed in the interior...in other words...don't dress it up. Make it look more like a dive than a snazzy cocktail bar. That is, if they are going for the authentic.

True, that modern feel in a bar is gonna cut down on business simply due to the fact that it feels too "new" and people feel like they have to be dressed up to go drink there. I don't typically want to go chill at a bar where I feel like I have to dress up unless I already am...and that's usually not my crowd. I wanna leave the ties and slacks for the 9-5.

I think too many architects tend to forget or overlook how people actually will "casually" inhabit a space. Too often people want to hit a homerun and market a space toward a particular crowd, dressed a particular way, spending a particular amount of money, but you also have to please the client, and OMNI might have wanted that.

Edited by arkitekte

I agree with P2 and William. The interior is fine. People can have grit on Lower Broadway. Maybe they could have jazz in the Omni? I think the design of the building is fine. Hotels, condos, and apartments are utilitarian structures. They are not statement pieces. In the days of corporate swagger before the economic downturn, corporations would build statement piece skyscrapers to show civic and national pride because of economic power. The Suntrust Plaza showed us what bland 13 story corporate structures are now, and will continue to be for some time. In today's market, bean counting accountants design buildings, not architects. The Pinnacle was our last statement piece building for years to come.

i have to say that I disagree with making the live music venue gritty. Nashville is a complete music scene and not just honky tonk country. Lower Broadway is plenty to do justice to the honky tonkers and expanding it is not the way to go.

I understand what you're saying, but to clear things up I wasn't saying that a venue needed to be gritty to accompany honky tonk country; I was just saying that typically people feel more comfortable and flock to older gritty feeling music venues. At least from what I've seen.

I understand what you're saying, but to clear things up I wasn't saying that a venue needed to be gritty to accompany honky tonk country; I was just saying that typically people feel more comfortable and flock to older gritty feeling music venues. At least from what I've seen.

That's how I feel as well. It feels like a more intimate atmosphere. And "gritty" might not be the right word. One of my favorite small venues in Knoxville is the World Grotto, which is clean and well decorated, but very dark and intimate.

And it doesn't have to be "like" a honkytonk...and I wouldn't doubt it if they feature other musical styles rather than just country, but since the Omni is directly connected with the CMHOF, and a lot of the interior shots show some Country influences (such as the portraits of Country legends), I imagine Country will be a focus for them.

It's not a bold statement. It's based on fact. We had 15 years between the ATT Tower and The Pinnacle. Signature Tower never happened. West End Summit never happened. The Nashville City Center 2 never happened. The 47 story Ryman Center never happened. The 45 story office tower for 7th and Commerce never happened. The 48 story hotel and office tower for Union Street never happened, however, we got TPAC instead. The HCA Tower never happened. The 750 foot Nashville Tower and Observatory never happened. I could go on and on about the statement towers that never materialized. So yes, every few decades we get a statement piece. I stand by my comments, but feel free to disagree if you wish.

MT

Seriously man...more deleting? I just don't get it MTSU...please explain your reasoning. Okay, so these last two were off topic...but NashRugger's initial deleted post wasn't, nor were many others that I've seen deleted in the past. What's with this habit you have of deleting without question any posts you don't like? It's rather iron-fisted. Maybe this is why some (I don't know who they were, and I was not one of them but I'm taking your word for it that there were indeed some) wanted you to leave UP? Though you probably think I didn't notice, I know you've deleted posts of mine in the past. Most were totally legitimate, addressed the topic at hand, and weren't confrontational in the least, but you've deleted them simply because in them I might be disputing something you had said. A long two paragraph post of mine in the Retail Thread comes to mind, which, coincidentally, I think is why soon after I made that post you moved the entire thread itself to the off topic section where it conspicuously reappeared without my post. Look buddy, I like you, I enjoy reading your posts, I think you're a good guy and I personally want you here at UP. But this stuff is getting old man. It really is.

Edited by BnaBreaker

It's not a bold statement. It's based on fact. We had 15 years between the ATT Tower and The Pinnacle. Signature Tower never happened. West End Summit never happened. The Nashville City Center 2 never happened. The 47 story Ryman Center never happened. The 45 story office tower for 7th and Commerce never happened. The 48 story hotel and office tower for Union Street never happened, however, we got TPAC instead. The HCA Tower never happened. The 750 foot Nashville Tower and Observatory never happened. I could go on and on about the statement towers that never materialized. So yes, every few decades we get a statement piece. I stand by my comments, but feel free to disagree if you wish.

MT

Again, how is comparing the old and then broadbrushing the future not a bold statement? Office towers are falling by the wayside right now, at least in places outside of financial power centers like New York, London, Sydney, Chicago, etc. I believe office towers are only part of a statement piece. We've got our latest project, the MCC, as the most recent statement maker. It shows that Nashville has and continues to evolve and grow it's prescence and desire to attract bigger and better things.

HCA didn't happen, obviously they chose to spread their stuff out or invest elsewhere, big deal. The towers from the 80s, including NCC2, that happened all over the country, i.e. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta to name a few. Signature failed with the economy, and WES, well I just think Palmer isn't a risk taker and/or proactive enough to land tenants to get it going. He got the hotel and restaurants and likely some of the Summit Residences contracted, but the key was the office tower.

• 4 weeks later...

Originally, I was pleased enough with the Omni's exterior design. About four months ago, however, I predicted I would find that design — once the building is completed — painfully uninspired. Then about two months ago, I thought to myself, "This could be downright ugly." Now — and with the green glass side elements taking shape — I think I might find Omni's exterior relatively attractive. Is my wildly oscillating viewpoint a result of my recently turning 50?

WW

• Like 1

Originally, I was pleased enough with the Omni's exterior design. About four months ago, however, I predicted I would find that design — once the building is completed — painfully uninspired. Then about two months ago, I thought to myself, "This could be downright ugly." Now — and with the green glass side elements taking shape — I think I might find Omni's exterior relatively attractive. Is my wildly oscillating viewpoint a result of my recently turning 50?

WW

I do hope you're right! I really don't think there is much of a chance that the Omni will do anything but melt into the background. IMHO, a huge missed opportunity! And I'm not just talking about its squatty appearance from the bulky lack of height either.

Edited by MLBrumby