Omni Hotel/Convention Center hotel/24 stories/800 rooms/complete

MTSUBlueraider86

Wow...what an incredible letdown.  How is there seriously no room for a few offices somewhere deep in the belly of that gigantic complex?  Ugh...well, there goes any hope of KVB ever becoming Nashville's "iconic" street, or really, anything more than just a large 'thru' street level highway.  :sick:

Edited by BnaBreaker

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Well, some retail will appear. Maybe a block over, but retail will come. I think Nashville has struggled more than many cities in regards to downtown retail. Nashvillian's love their suburban retail. Church Street Mall was the best opportunity we had and it failed. That mall was amazing the few years it was open. At lunch that place was packed. I used to love to eat at the Petro's restaurant.

• Like 1

Well, some retail will appear. Maybe a block over, but retail will come. I think Nashville has struggled more than many cities in regards to downtown retail. Nashvillian's love their suburban retail. Church Street Mall was the best opportunity we had and it failed. That mall was amazing the few years it was open. At lunch that place was packed. I used to love to eat at the Petro's restaurant.

Agreed.  I was just in elementary school when it opened up, but I still have faint memories of going downtown to the statehouse for field trips and just being completely wowed, even as a child, by the mall itself...the way that large plaza opened up in front of you leading to the huge mall...it just felt very "big city."  I think it was just ahead of it's time, unforutnately. 

• Like 1

Yes, that was it!!!!! Many fine memories in that place. I remember the real nice Dillards, Brooks Brothers and other fine stores that were there. It was demolished for the Library building.

I remember Church Street Centre fondly.  I loved the food court with the huge glass atrium and the views of the buildings towering above.  It's a shame it was before its time because I honestly feel that Nashville could support it now even with the current suburban malls.  As I have said before, here in Hampton Roads we have MacArthur Center in downtown Norfolk and it is thriving.   We also have malls in the surrounding cities of Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, and Newport News that are doing well, so to say Nashville could not support this now boggles my mind.  Maybe some sort of open air lifestyle center could end up in SoBro, say like the Streets of Brentwood development or Hill Center.  

Yeah, a shame about CSC.  I think it would do fine these days as well.  Hopefully, we will see a reincarnation soon.  Probably in the N. Gulch area, but maybe SoBro as well.  Can't wait for the retail to come.  Once that hits we will have a decent beginning of a well rounded core.  Just need more mass transit options...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have decided that I don't like this building.  Looks bland, and in a cheap way.  There's absolutely no flair (ok, maybe that little strip along 5th Avenue)... and the reflective glass at the top is simply cheesy looking.   I do bet Mr. Rowland wishes now that he built 1000 rooms instead of 800.  It probably would have saved him some competition in the form of either Giarratana's or Swerdling's hotels. 

I have decided that I don't like this building.  Looks bland, and in a cheap way.  There's absolutely no flair (ok, maybe that little strip along 5th Avenue)... and the reflective glass at the top is simply cheesy looking.   I do bet Mr. Rowland wishes now that he built 1000 rooms instead of 800.  It probably would have saved him some competition in the form of either Giarratana's or Swerdling's hotels. 

I've come to the conclusion you don't like anything really.

• Like 2

The Omni has grown on me, but keep in mind hotels are very utilitarian. Design is not as important as function. The Four Seasons Hotel we have been discussing has a nice design, however they also build a lot of short utilitarian hotels as well. If Nashville were to get a Four Seasons, it would be my bet it would be a 15-20 story hotel with 200+ rooms in the West End/Vanderbilt Area to compete with the Loews and Intercontinental when built. However, if it were to be a skyscraper as we see in the rendering, than several lots in the CBD and Sobro are available. 

In any case when it is all said and done, the Omni is as cutting edge as we are going to get, and realistically as tall as we are going to get.