Omni Hotel/Convention Center hotel/24 stories/800 rooms/complete

MTSUBlueraider86

First post on the site, finally joined here.

I was really excited when I first heard about this being built. But honestly the farther along it gets the less excited I am. It is starting to look very bland. If anything I might regret it being built because it blocks so much of the skyline from the interstate. I sure hope I am happy with the outcome.

it blocks so much of the skyline from the interstate.

I'm noticing that to, it hogs a lot of the view. The exterior finish over most of the building is dull suburban office park. All in all shaping up to be a disappointment skyline-wise. I care more about the street level though. Hopefully it will be activating. And in a few years as SoBro develops, there will be new buildings of various heights in front of it. I'm looking forward to the large and small developments that will follow in this area, it is shockingly lacking in residential space.

I'm noticing that to, it hogs a lot of the view. The exterior finish over most of the building is dull suburban office park. All in all shaping up to be a disappointment skyline-wise. I care more about the street level though. Hopefully it will be activating. And in a few years as SoBro develops, there will be new buildings of various heights in front of it. I'm looking forward to the large and small developments that will follow in this area, it is shockingly lacking in residential space.

No doubt that the Omni will be "swallowed up" by buildings around in it in the not-too-distant future. I think the people who own the lots at 6th and KVB are going to build something tall and stunning. And I sense that Michael Hayes is holding out for something very, very, very tall on his lot at 3rd and KVB. No one will even bother to look at the Omni... except for the "party patio" along 5th. And that's fine.

Edited by MLBrumby

First post on the site, finally joined here.

I was really excited when I first heard about this being built. But honestly the farther along it gets the less excited I am. It is starting to look very bland. If anything I might regret it being built because it blocks so much of the skyline from the interstate. I sure hope I am happy with the outcome.

Welcome!

I have noticed too that the exterior of the Omni is looking kind of Rythym-ish. We'll just have to wait and see as more of it is completed. I also agree with the possibility of more buildings in the area as the MCC, hotels, retail, etc. begin to come online.

They may be fronting the majority of the cost, but Metro is certainly putting forward a pretty penny here.

http://www.wkrn.com/global/story.asp?s=13353382

Metro gives 25 million up front and 103 million over 20 years.

I am hopeful the project will finish up and look better than I am anticipating, but I am disappointed right now.

• Like 1

In reference to the above statementt about financing. This has been discussed ad nauseum.....

http://nashvillecity...hoice-omni-deal

It has been, you are right. Nashville is putting 128 million into this hotel, so to say it would look better if only it had even more public money behind it is a strange argument, don't you think?

I just think Nashville got very, very lucky with the Omni deal.

I'm from Nashville but live in Dallas now, and the city paying to build and operate the Omni has been very controversial here. It's a modern design, but that has also become an issue. The whole facade is an LCD screen and it has caused car crashes with its moving images. Sometimes a traditional design isn't the worst!

• Like 2