Omni Hotel/Convention Center hotel/24 stories/800 rooms/complete

MTSUBlueraider86

Yeah... uncanny! Just a mini version of the Atlanta hotel without that little 1990s circular doohickie at the front edge. So now we know Nashville gets (yet another) recycled design.

Haha, true. I think it'll look ok once complete though. At least it's in an L shape :dontknow: . Encore...Novare...similar design in ATL and maybe CLT.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the low quality photos from inside of the car...I literally got off of the interstate to take these and then got right back on.

DSC_0981.jpg

DSC_0983.jpg

DSC_0997.jpg

Yes, the Omni could be a lot more...it looked really nice in the renderings, but I am impressed as of now. The density is nice, and in the right lighting the glass is pretty sharp.

• Like 2

I didn't know the best place for this link. A story from the NYT on the MCC and Omni...

http://www.nytimes.c...Ycyz/nZI0VjxVpQ

Interesting article.

The last comment about the convention center not doing anything to make downtown more liveable was interesting. I disagree with that position though. The MCC will create activity downtown, bringing more foot traffic, stores and restaurants and, through that increase, will make it safer and more inviting. That will, in turn, make it more livable and make people want to stay downtown instead of commuting back and forth from the suburbs.

I do LOVE seeing such focus on Nashville in national print media though.

Edited by Nathan_in_PHL

Interesting article.

The last comment about the convention center not doing anything to make downtown more liveable was interesting. I disagree with that position though. The MCC will create activity downtown, bringing more foot traffic, stores and restaurants and, through that increase, will make it safer and more inviting. That will, in turn, make it more livable and make people want to stay downtown instead of commuting back and forth from the suburbs.

I actually tend to agree that huge buildings like MCC make an area less inviting to actually live. That thing is just so out of human scale. I also don't like the way it breaks up the grid (although at least one road continues through/under the building). Nashville is a natural tourist destination, and I hope the investment pays off, but I would have preferred to have seen that money going to transportation which I think is Nashville's biggest issue.

Interesting article.

I wonder what was the context of the quote. Anyways, felt a negative tone to the article. Informative, but a less friendly piece.

Interesting article.

I agree. A lot depends on how the area around it develops, but it will bring thousands of visitors downtown and promote an even livelier restaurant and entertainment scene, and that will bring locals and make DT an even more desireable place to live.

I think the convention center is a brilliant investment, coming right at the time when financing costs are low, and at the point in the city's development when downtown is up and coming, but it's still possible to find this huge more or less vacant site right in the middle of things. Most convention centers are compromised in their location, kind of offset from the main action. Plus Nashville is a fun city to visit and well positioned to compete for convention business.

I'm hoping the conventioneers make use of the free green circulators, they are a great idea but I think they'd be fantastic and really practical if they had the ridership to run more frequently, and they're a great step toward getting middle class people to use transit. And an ideal conveyance for drunks getting entertained in the entertainment district.

Again on the article, some wanted mass transit to be a priority over the MCC. I think it could have been done either way. I now think that mass transit will be a next priority with the E/W connector in the mix. However, it could be argued that building the MCC first was better due to prices and whatnot. Now once all these people get here we will need a way to move them around if they want, especially to and from the airport.

I agree. A lot depends on how the area around it develops, but it will bring thousands of visitors downtown and promote an even livelier restaurant and entertainment scene, and that will bring locals and make DT an even more desireable place to live.

I think the convention center is a brilliant investment, coming right at the time when financing costs are low, and at the point in the city's development when downtown is up and coming, but it's still possible to find this huge more or less vacant site right in the middle of things. Most convention centers are compromised in their location, kind of offset from the main action. Plus Nashville is a fun city to visit and well positioned to compete for convention business.

I'm hoping the conventioneers make use of the free green circulators, they are a great idea but I think they'd be fantastic and really practical if they had the ridership to run more frequently, and they're a great step toward getting middle class people to use transit. And an ideal conveyance for drunks getting entertained in the entertainment district.

Here's to hoping they advertise the heck out of it and make copious amounts of easy-to-read maps available to people in as many places as possible. Making people understand that it's not a standard bus route that can often be hard to follow and end you up in places you don't want to be is the key to getting people to use it.

Again on the article, some wanted mass transit to be a priority over the MCC. I think it could have been done either way. I now think that mass transit will be a next priority with the E/W connector in the mix. However, it could be argued that building the MCC first was better due to prices and whatnot. Now once all these people get here we will need a way to move them around if they want, especially to and from the airport.

Agreed. I think it's twofold though, putting transit in place before the MCC was built would be akin to putting the cart before he horse in the mind of the public. Having increased traffic (both pedestrian and automotive) that follows set high and medium density corridors caused by the MCC will make getting effective mass transit that much easier politically speaking. And, as you said, construction costs are just going to keep going up for the foreseeable future. The earlier you build the cheaper it'll be in the near term.

• 2 weeks later...