Omni Hotel/Convention Center hotel/24 stories/800 rooms/complete

MTSUBlueraider86

Welcome to the forum EastOfTheCumberland. I have seen you post on SSC and you are welcome. Looking to more post. Great to have the Atlanta perspective for sure.

Agreed welcome!

I was going to say the same about the Atlanta perspective.  It maybe not the best model to follow in some aspects, but it is one of my favorite cities!!

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="EastOfTheCumberland" data-cid="1248680" data-time="1355931385"><p>

It's a little bland without much style. It's a bit "short" and "stumpy". Not very urban too me. Looks very suburban. I miss the architecture in ATL! I guess overall it will do.</p></blockquote>

Compared to a high rise office building it may "stumpy" but this is a world class convention center......it can't be very tall since it is more important to have large blocks of space on one level. Take a look at it from the Bridgestone Arena side....it hardly seems short from that angle.

I think the MCC architecture is top notch. The subtle hint of a guitar, the use of large amounts of glass in the entrances, and the preservation of the street grid with a road running under exhibit space all jump out at me. For a building that essentially has to be a large rectangle I think they did a wonderful job of making it uniquely Nashville/Music City.

Compared to a high rise office building it may "stumpy" but this is a world class convention center......it can't be very tall since it is more important to have large blocks of space on one level. Take a look at it from the Bridgestone Arena side....it hardly seems short from that angle.

I think the MCC architecture is top notch. The subtle hint of a guitar, the use of large amounts of glass in the entrances, and the preservation of the street grid with a road running under exhibit space all jump out at me. For a building that essentially has to be a large rectangle I think they did a wonderful job of making it uniquely Nashville/Music City.

I think he was referring to the hotel component. I certainly agree the MCC itself has an exceptional design for such a center. The hotel might be a bit lacking....but it's a hotel. Most modern hotels are pretty much no-frills when it comes to architecture. In fact, this Omni isn't going to look all that different from the one in ATL.

I'll worry more about the architectural specs if something more landmark, like 505CST, gets built.

True.... when the design was unveiled two years ago, it landed like a thud on the anticipatory excitement of those who love architecture, especially since there were tax dollars associated with its construction.    Then it became clear that the building was never intended to stand out... but basically blend in with the street traffic.  It is a proximity offering and not much more than that.  And it will profit quite handsomely from its nearness to the MCC.   Then someone pointed out that it really is quite similar to the Omni in Atlanta, and I checked it out (seen it many times in person), and darned if it isn't a very close copy of that building.  I think the ATL Omni is  a few floors taller, but it's really nothing spectacular either.  It is just very close to the GWCC and Phillips Arena.  Just like li'l ol' Nayushveyul!

It's a little bland without much style. It's a bit "short" and "stumpy". Not very urban too me. Looks very suburban. I miss the architecture in ATL! I guess overall it will do.

Uh, are you talking about the same building as everyone else?  The MCC is far more daring architectually then nearly every other convention center in the country, and I don't see how it's any shorter or less urban than any other convention center. 

Uh, are you talking about the same building as everyone else?  The MCC is far more daring architectually then nearly every other convention center in the country, and I don't see how it's any shorter or less urban than any other convention center. 

Again, I think he's referring to the hotel...which is sort of stumpy by some standards (even at 21 floors...it's a block wide). I wouldn't call it short...but it's not tall and lean...and not the 30-40 stories that most of us would rather see. But 30-40 stories would also be a wee bit more expensive, methinks. Especially when you're targeting around 800 rooms (could've gone to 1,000, I suppose...which might have extended it to 25 floors and given it a slightly taller, leaner look). And as I said before -- hotel design in general leaves much to be desired. I strongly disagree with the notion that it is somehow suburban looking, though. It's built to the street and has virtually no setback. Suburban to me is 3-5 stories with a parking sea built around it -- or, a taller structure with a massive setback, fronted by parking or a "park like" setting. This has garage parking and is in no way, shape, or form a "suburban style" building.

I do love tall buildings, but tall for the sake of being tall isn't exactly what we should be aiming for IMO. We are not Atlanta's size. We are less than 1/3 of their size (metro-wise). There are still tons of parcels in SoBro that can be developed. Tons. Tons in the Gulch, tons in Midtown. When the market demands it, we will build taller. In the meantime, I would expect more mid-to-highrises of 200-400 feet, mixed in with a good number of residential low rises of 3-7 stories. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

(btw, most of that post is not directed at you, BNA -- just the general complaint of Nashville not building tall)

Edited by UTgrad09
  • Like 1

Correct, I don't care for the hotel, but a lot of that comes from being with an architect and hearing him complain about it! The Convention Center is beautiful. Nashville needs to get away from the boxes. ATL is not perfect by any means, but we desperately try to get away from the boxes.

Correct, I don't care for the hotel, but a lot of that comes from being with an architect and hearing him complain about it! The Convention Center is beautiful. Nashville needs to get away from the boxes. ATL is not perfect by any means, but we desperately try to get away from the boxes.

Sorry Cumberland, my mistake.  I agree with you about the design hotel, though I don't think there is anything suburban about it since it is built right up to the street on all sides, but still, sorry for my mix up. 

I think we touched on this earlier in the thread, but the Omni for the MCC actually looks like a shrunken and slightly tweaked version of the Omni in ATL to me. Neither are much to write home about, IMO. You can see that some were fairly ambivalent about the design when it was revealed earlier in the thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at the time-lapse of the hotel earlier today and could not figure out what they were building on the top, the part that connects to the hall of fame. Is there going to be a large convention hall in there? It almost looks like it will be a glass roof or something?

I was looking at the time-lapse of the hotel earlier today and could not figure out what they were building on the top, the part that connects to the hall of fame. Is there going to be a large convention hall in there? It almost looks like it will be a glass roof or something?

It's a ballroom/event space with an outdoor veranda that overlooks downtown. Should be a pretty nice place for a party.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...