In Progress: Avrick Furniture Redevelopment

Avrick Furniture, a landmark institution at this location since 1972 (open since the 30's in another location), went out of business a year or so ago. It didn't take long for something to get underway at this site. The building (as seen in the attached photos in its cloaked form) is a historic building (unsure of the date, but would assume its from around 1900) that was re-clad in a sort-of split-face CMU when Avrick moved in. All the windows and historic details are siting there just waiting to be uncovered. The redevelopment of this building is key for two reasons: It will bring some much needed activity to this corner - though directly in the heart of SONO, that corner is DEAD! And, it will hopefully breath some life into "the most useless plaza in the world" - a garbage and debris filled wasteland directly adjacent to it and the 50 Washington Street tower. The program calls for: 900 square feet of retail, 1,680 square feet of offices and 4,200 square feet of restaurant space on the first floor; 7,200 square feet of offices on the second floor; and 1,300 square feet of offices and five residential units on the third.

I guess its a good sign something is getting underway down there!

post-14079-007057100 1277690243_thumb.jp

post-14079-013469200 1277690252_thumb.jp

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its amazing so many buildings are still in cognito like this.

I am curious what it will look like when uncovered.

sounds like a nice project too. total mixed use, in every way. not huge, but just right.

but the 1300 sf of offices on the 3rd floor mixed in with the residential units seems strange. why not just add a 6th unit.

oh well

• 7 months later...

I went by this project last night for the first time in months and hoped to take photos of a completed project...it seems to have been stopped. I know they applied to have their building permit amended a few months ago and I heard from a planning and zoning official that things were moving slower than expected, but there seems to be little sign of activity. The old facade is removed and new windows are installed but not "trimmed", the new ground level storefront is not in, plywood is up and things look to be disheveled in general. The work that has been done looks cheap. I think the developers were either not properly capitalized or are novices. I hope this project get completed.

(As a side note) There was a chunk of money requested in Norwalk's capital budget (and likely to be approved) to renovate the plaza adjacent to this project. That is great news!

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe there is life in this project still!

I went by yesterday and noticed a few people on-site. There was also a new sign up on the scaffolding directing people to a Realtor. Here is a rendering I found: The Avrick

The building on the right is "The Avrick". I know for sure there aren't any hard plans for the plaza yet, but I know there is money being approved for it. We'll see what comes about!

Here is the link to the Realtor: Christofor Realty

If you dig down deep enough you'd find this slideshow of projects in SoNo that they represent: Realtor SoNo Slideshow

• 3 months later...

Cover coming off former Avrick building

By CHRIS BOSAK Hour Staff Writer

NORWALK --The cover has been lifted and the scaffolding is coming down to unveil the new look of 16 North Main St., the former home of Avrick Furniture.

The landmark building in South Norwalk has been hidden for more than a year by tarps and black mesh as workers transformed the interior and exterior. What used to be a tan building with windows only on the street level is now once again a red brick building with windows on each of the three levels.

"I'm shocked at how good it looks," Joe Criscuolo, who owns the building with his brother Aldo, said. "It was worth it. I'm so happy with the way it came out."

Criscuolo said the building has been restored to what it looked like in the 1920s.

The first tenants will be moving into the building by early August, Criscuolo said. Steven Winter Associates, a building consultant firm, will be the first tenants.

Criscuolo said the building is nearly fully leased already. The luxury apartments were "in high demand," and a Brazilian restaurant called Braza will occupy the street level. The owners also hope to open a roof-top beer garden.

"It's such a big positive for South Norwalk," Criscuolo said. "We've already rented most of the building. The builders, the city, the banks ... it was a team effort."

The Criscuolos purchased the 34,448 square foot building in October 2009 for $1.5 million.

"We're naming the building The Avrick," Criscuolo said. "That was an important family in South Norwalk and we felt it was only right."

Avrick Furniture was founded by Louis Avrick in 1937. In 1972, Irving Avrick -- Louis's son -- purchased the building at 14-16 North Main Street and moved the business there from its original location on Elizabeth Street. Irving's sons Bob, Gary and Lewis took over the business when he passed away.

The brothers announced in 2006 that the furniture store was going out of business.

Irving Avrick was a pioneer in the revitalization of South Norwalk.

post-14079-0-65508600-1310506625_thumb.j

Cover coming off former Avrick building

By CHRIS BOSAK Hour Staff Writer

NORWALK --The cover has been lifted and the scaffolding is coming down to unveil the new look of 16 North Main St., the former home of Avrick Furniture.

The landmark building in South Norwalk has been hidden for more than a year by tarps and black mesh as workers transformed the interior and exterior. What used to be a tan building with windows only on the street level is now once again a red brick building with windows on each of the three levels.

"I'm shocked at how good it looks," Joe Criscuolo, who owns the building with his brother Aldo, said. "It was worth it. I'm so happy with the way it came out."

Criscuolo said the building has been restored to what it looked like in the 1920s.

The first tenants will be moving into the building by early August, Criscuolo said. Steven Winter Associates, a building consultant firm, will be the first tenants.

Criscuolo said the building is nearly fully leased already. The luxury apartments were "in high demand," and a Brazilian restaurant called Braza will occupy the street level. The owners also hope to open a roof-top beer garden.

"It's such a big positive for South Norwalk," Criscuolo said. "We've already rented most of the building. The builders, the city, the banks ... it was a team effort."

The Criscuolos purchased the 34,448 square foot building in October 2009 for $1.5 million.

"We're naming the building The Avrick," Criscuolo said. "That was an important family in South Norwalk and we felt it was only right."

Avrick Furniture was founded by Louis Avrick in 1937. In 1972, Irving Avrick -- Louis's son -- purchased the building at 14-16 North Main Street and moved the business there from its original location on Elizabeth Street. Irving's sons Bob, Gary and Lewis took over the business when he passed away.

The brothers announced in 2006 that the furniture store was going out of business.

Irving Avrick was a pioneer in the revitalization of South Norwalk.

Great stuff. I love historic restoration. The difference is amazing campared to how it looked before! It really makes you wonder what they were smoking in the 50's and 60's or whenever it was that they defaced buildings in this manner. I wonder if Braza is another location of the one that we have in Hartford. If so, it's an interesting restaurant. Definitely good food with a unique presentation.

Archived